high performance teams
out of 28
Post on 11-Aug-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. High Performance TeamsLeading & Developing Successful TeamsBy: Dr. Qureshi (Director)Dr. Qureshi & Kiran D. Kiran Dhaliwal M.P.H
- 2. Piecing the pieces together in HPTsHIGH PERFORMINGTEAMSCommunicationConflictDiversity ResolutionTrainingDecisionMTaekainmgSelectionTeamCultureTrust&ConflictDecisionMakingDr. Qureshi & Kiran D.
- 3. High Performance TeamsCommunicationConflictResolutionDiversityTrainingDecisionMakingTeamSelectionTeamCharterTrust&ConflictDecisionMakingHPTA team of dedicators, creators and innovators;who must collaborate to achieve a common goal,and who assume shared responsibility andleadership for the functioning and performance ofthe team.Dr. Qureshi & Kiran D.
- 4. High PerformanceTeams Everybody is working towards the SAME goal! Team members have a clear vision of their purpose,how to achieve their goals & how to work together. Members have solid & deep trust in each otherand teams vision. Team engages in active and extensive discussion. Open communication & positive relationships. Have clear measures of success & receive feedback forcontinuous improvement.Dr. Qureshi & Kiran D.
- 5. High PerformanceTeams Decentralised LEADERSHIP = team PARTNERSHIP! Identify & solve problems. Make decisions when & where they occur. Successfully manage conflict. Have clearly defines roles & responsibilities. Value DIVERSITY. POSITIVE atmosphere!Dr. Qureshi & Kiran D.
- 6. Creating High Performance TeamsP PURPOSEA HPT needs to know where it is going & what are its goal and directionsE EMPOWERMENTTo function well, HPTs need to have the power to make decisionsR RELATIONSHIPSPositive & Open communication high sense of trust between membersF FLEXIBILITYQuickly adapt to changing directions environmentsO OPTIMAL PERFORMANCEThe reason you form a team is to accomplish goals effectively & efficiently!R RECOGNITIONEfforts are recognised & feedback for doing things right TEAM CULTUREM MORALEMembers need to feel good about being part of a team!Barometer of human condition of HPTsDr. Qureshi & Kiran D.
- 7. Team Charter & CultureTeamCharter & CultureHPTCommunicationConflictDiversity ResolutionIntroductionto TeamsDecisionMTaekainmgSelectionTrust&ConflictDecisionMakingDr. Qureshi & Kiran D.
- 8. Team Charter = an agreement between the team & its client,= communication tool between project & organisation,= high level guide to lead the project.Components :- Objectives, Scope, Roles/ Responsibilities- Key activities, Key Deliverables, Timeline/Schedule- Milestones,- Critical Success: Factors, Metrics, Critiques- Risks, BoundariesTEAM CULTUREA high performing culture is a business cultureestablished to produce significant organisationalproductivity. In a team setting, these are values &norms.Dr. Qureshi & Kiran D.
- 9. Team CultureIndividualismMasculinityPower/DistaUncertainty/AvoidanceIndexnceLong TermOrientationDr. Qureshi & Kiran D.
- 10. Team SelectionHIGH PERFORMINGTEAMSCommunicationTeamSELECTIONConflictResolutionDiversityTrainingDecisionMakingTeamCultureTrust&ConflictDecisionMakingDr. Qureshi & Kiran D.
- 11. Team Selection = an important process that helps identifymembers with specific qualities and skills for a specific role.MembersQualificationsPeerSelectionPersonalityTestPerformanceImprovementSelection ProcessDr. Qureshi & Kiran D.
- 12. HIGH PERFORMINGTEAMSCommunicationConflictResolutionDiversityTrainingDecisionMakingTeamSelectionTeamCultureTrust&ConflictDecisionMakingDecision MakingDr. Qureshi & Kiran D.
- 13. .Decision Makingin HPTs:The world is moving faster than ever. Speed is the new name of the game.How much more could you and your team get done if decisions weren'tover-analyzed and time spent inside meetings was cut in half?A HPT will use a consensus process in estimating the situation anddeveloping recommendations and proposals at the strategic levelof government, business, or in other national or internationalorganizationsThe consensus team model uses a systems approach indealing with strategic problems.Dr. Qureshi & Kiran D.
- 14. InputProcessOutputTask TypeTask featuresTeam CompositionHigh Conceptual LevelPrudent Consensus ApproachVigilant Decision ManagementTeam ProcessesTeam Psycho-Social TraitsObjective Outcomes:- Team & Organisationproductivity- Client satisfactionSubjective Outcomes- Perceived team effectivenessFeedbackDr. Qureshi & Kiran D.
- 15. HIGH PERFORMINGTEAMSCommunicationConflictResolutionDiversityTrainingDecisionMakingTeamSelectionTeamCultureTrust&ConflictDecisionMakingValuing Differences for Growth & ProductivityDr. Qureshi & Kiran D.
- 16. Diversity = its recognition that people are all unique with their own frames ofreference molded by both internal and external factors.Why Should Businesses Strive for Diverse Groups and Teams?Diversity Diverse Perspectives Creativity & InnovationMaking Diversity Work?- A mix team composition- Open discussion encourages feedback, active listening &practice flexible decision-makingDr. Qureshi & Kiran D.
- 17. CommunicationHIGH PERFORMINGTEAMSCommunicationConflictResolutionDiversityTrainingDecisionMakingTeamSelectionTeamCultureProblemSolvingDecisionMakingDr. Qureshi & Kiran D.
- 18. Shared stories and experiences and the exchange of dialogues are thegreatest ways to promoteteam growth, interactions and creativityCommunication positive communication = TEAM WORK = SUCCESS Build rapport and get to know your team members Take time to explain Create a culture that shares feedback Act on the feedback you are hearing Face time is valuableDr. Qureshi & Kiran D.
- 19. Trust & ConflictHIGH PERFORMINGTEAMSCommunicationConflictResolutionDiversityTrainingDecisionMakingTeamSelectionTeamCultureTrust&ConflictDecisionMakingDr. Qureshi & Kiran D.
- 20. Trust One of the MOST important factors in building aHPT. Trust is a combination of honesty, openness,consistency and respect which are essential forteams to stay problem-focused. When trust in built within a team, a tremendousstress can be alleviated off the team. This results in more time, more energy and higherconcentration and ability to work on meaningfulproblems and solutions. It also crafts a deeper level of interaction and levelof expression between members.Dr. Qureshi & Kiran D.
- 21. HPTs- positive climate- effectivecommunication- productiveconflicts- common purposeand goalsTrust- formed throughcloser collaborationwith members- strengthenedthroughengagement insocial activities(not work-related)Desired levels ofproductivity- Team Maturity members can freelycriticise the ideas ofothers withoutthreatening teamprogression- Constructivedecision- making- Constructive Conflict- Confidence- Team SatisfactionConstantengagementWorking in anenvironmentcharacterisedby Trust &ConfidenceRelationship between HPTs and productive outcomescharacterised by collaborative climate and trustDr. Qureshi & Kiran D.
- 22. Conflict catalyst for creativity but also establishesa platform for open exchange of ideas,objective assessment of alternatives andthe rigorous constructing of perspectives.Healthy/ Beneficial Unhealthy/ DestructiveDr. Qureshi & Kiran D.
- 23. Sources of ConflictHealthy Focus on task issues Legitimate differencesof opinion about the task Differences in valuesand perspectives Different expectationsabout the impact ofdecisionsUnhealthy Competition over power,rewards, and resources Conflict betweenindividual and group goals Poorly run teammeetings Personal grudges fromthe past Faulty communicationsDr. Qureshi & Kiran D.
- 24. HIGH PERFORMINGTEAMSCommunicationConflictResolutionDiversityTrainingDecisionMakingTeamSelectionTeamCultureTrust&ConflictDecisionMakingLeverage Conflictrather thanbe leveled by itDr. Qureshi & Kiran D.
- 25. Conflict should be worked out, not suppressed! Suppression of conflict allows negative feelings to festerand causes breakdown in communication. Members differences should be brought to surface Teams should encourage openness and positiveconfrontation As co-operation increases, teams learn to use conflictconstructively. Positive conflict = creativity complacency & lazinessDr. Qureshi & Kiran D.
- 26. Conflict Management & ResolutionDr. Qureshi & Kiran D.
- 27. Conflict Competence for Business Advantage!Reduce CostIncreaseProductivityRetain your topperformersWorkplaceconflict drainsenergy, time &Manage RiskmoneyDr. Qureshi & Kiran D.
- 28. Dr. Qureshi & Kiran D.THANK YOU
View more >
HIGH PERFORMANCE TEAMS: M. F. R. KETS DE VRIES* ?· 2008-01-11 · HIGH PERFORMANCE TEAMS: LESSONS FROM…
BUILDING HIGH PERFORMANCE TEAMS - Catalyst ?· BUILDING HIGH PERFORMANCE TEAMS ... teams need to work…