You know when you are addicted to OSM when...
out of 71
Post on 18-Dec-2014
DESCRIPTIONtalk by tim waters at State Of The Map 2012 OpenStreetMap Conference - a lighthearted talk about the enthusiasms about the project
- 1. You Know You are Addicted to OSM WhenTim Waters @tim_waters chippy
- 2. Definitions OCOSMD (JS Schmidt) Addiction Person Mapper CommunityWider ecosystem
- 3. OSM Purity Self Test Please edit & translate! If you feel compelled...http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/ wiki/OSM_purity_self-test
- 4. OSM Purity Self Test: What do you do if theweathers too bad to go outmapping at the weekend?
- 5. 0 - watch the TV1 - look at the OSM website to see howyour area is getting on2 - work on OSM software of some sort3 - wander round your local streets with aGPS for about half an hour, umbrella4 - catch the train, bus or drive tosomewhere unmapped and map it in vehicle5 - Go out all day regardless, nothing willstop you!
- 6. You Know You are Addicted to OSM When indicators
- 7. When you map your city and mark it complete
- 8. And so you move to another city with less OSM! Greg Durham Canada Steve & Hurricane Denver Seattle Mikel San Francisco Nairobi Marten Amsterdam Salt Lake City Kate Washington DC Indonesia
- 9. ... You forget to pick the girlfriend up from work, but remember the GPS.
- 10. ... You forget the keys to the car, but remember the GPS
- 11. When you keep count of the numberof OSM events you have attended.
- 12. When you lose count of the numberof OSM events you have attended! C
- 13. Your children only get map cakes!
- 14. When you take your GPS on a rollercoaster
- 15. When you map in the face of danger!
- 16. When you are offered a free lifthome by friends or relatives and youdirect them around different roads to get the most traces `
- 17. Have a whole year living with no copyrighted maps
- 18. When you write your own editor
- 19. And another editor...
- 20. And another one!
- 21. When your GPS breaks! And you get depressed.
- 22. When your GPS breaks...but its okay! Armchair mapping Walking Papers HOT Task Manager
- 23. You see a new roundabout, and decide to drive 6 times full circle init, to get all an inner and outer lanes. (JDS)
- 24. You go on holiday to a remoteScottish island, and your baby son says GPS as his first word - jonobennet GPS
- 25. When, even at your age, youre still looking for Easter Eggs - Maning http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/ Copyright_Easter_Eggs
- 26. You can tell where a trace is by reading the raw NMEA/GPX log...$GPRMC,184332.07,A,1929.459,S,02410.381,E,74.00,16.78,210410,0.0,E,A*2B$GPGGA,184333.07,1929.439,S,02410.387,E,1,04,2.8,100.00,M,33.9,M,,0000*65$GPGLL,1929.420,S,02410.393,E,184334.07,A,A*71$GPVTG,16.78,T,,M,74.00,N,137.05,K,A*36$GPRMC,184336.07,A,1929.380,S,02410.405,E,74.00,16.78,210410,0.0,E,A*27$GPGGA,184337.07,1929.361,S,02410.411,E,1,04,1.8,100.00,M,33.9,M,,0000*60$GPGLL,1929.341,S,02410.417,E,184338.07,A,A*76$GPVTG,16.78,T,,M,74.00,N,137.05,K,A*36$GPRMC,184340.07,A,1929.301,S,02410.429,E,74.00,16.78,210410,0.0,E,A*21$GPGGA,184341.07,1929.282,S,02410.435,E,1,04,2.3,100.00,M,33.9,M,,0000*63$GPGLL,1929.262,S,02410.441,E,184342.07,A,A*78$GPVTG,16.78,T,,M,74.00,N,137.05,K,A*36$GPRMC,184344.07,A,1929.223,S,02410.452,E,74.00,16.78,210410,0.0,E,A*28$GPGGA,184345.64,1929.203,S,02410.458,E,1,04,2.3,100.00,M,33.9,M,,0000*60$GPGLL,1929.183,S,02410.464,E,184346.07,A,A*77$GPVTG,16.78,T,,M,74.00,N,137.05,K,A*36
- 27. ?
- 28. You can convert degrees of latitude / longitude to meters in your head varR=6378.137;//RadiusofearthinKM vardLat=(lat2lat1)*Math.PI/180; vardLon=(lon2lon1)*Math.PI/180; vara=Math.sin(dLat/2)*Math.sin(dLat/2)+ Math.cos(lat1*Math.PI/180)*Math.cos(lat2* Math.PI/180)* Math.sin(dLon/2)*Math.sin(dLon/2); varc=2*Math.atan2(Math.sqrt(a),Math.sqrt(1 a)); vard=R*c; returnd*1000;
- 29. ...where a place is by its zoom 12 tile z/x/y 14/14553/6451
- 30. ?
- 31. Tokyo
- 32. You get excited by anew planet.osm dump every weekand buy huge new diskdrives and Bluerays to keep them on
- 33. And then you spend a few hours to extract the planet to get a dailyupdate in the growth of the planet, in bytes. 391915765760.02719321 bytes
- 34. You still have your tiles@home server farm sitting idle in the cupboard at work
- 35. More dysfunction...
- 36. You run for OpenStreetMap Foundation Board ...as a troll
- 37. You fork OSM
- 38. You reject the contributor terms
- 39. Meta
- 40. OCOSMD-ceptionWhen you do a talk about Addiction to OSM When you do a slidein the talk about the slide in the talk about Addiction to OSM
- 41. You run out of things to map, and soyou start mapping things that might be there. Like Ley lines
- 42. When you run a mapping party
- 43. When you mapped...
- 44. And mapped...
- 45. And mapped....
- 46. When you spend your evenings writing an OSM application 2285 openstreetmap repositories
- 47. When you spend your weekends maintaining the OSM servers
- 48. When you are in the Licensing Working Group
- 49. When you are in the Licensing Working Group . and like it!
- 50. When some things seem not that important...
- 51. Apple
- 52. GeoCaching
- 53. Foursquare
- 54. Craigslist
- 55. Nike
- 56. WHERES THEATTRIBUTION?!1!?!
- 57. When know who FakeSteveC is
- 58. When you ARE FakeSteveC
- 59. When you import the buildings around your neighbourhood of OSM into your open source flight simulator just so you can fly over them
- 60. You choose the most expensivechair in IKEA to serve your armchair mapping activities
- 61. When you camp outside an unopened shopping mall in thesnow with GPS + Camera... and get arrested firefishy (grant slater)
- 62. There is help...
- 63. 3 Steps Programme
- 64. Accept your obsessions
- 65. Tell everyone
- 66. Take a break -do other harmless things Sleep Facebook Drink Google Map Maker
- 67. You Know You are Addicted to OSM When
- 68. When you go to SOTM!
- 69. When you sponsor SOTM
- 70. When you sponsor SOTM!!
- 71. When you organise SOTM! Tim Waters @tim_waters chippy
View more >
You know you are Arab when - ?? Things teachers need to consider when working with Arabic students You
Breast Complaints You gotta know when to screen em, know when to street em, know when to reassure, know when to refer.