You know when you are addicted to OSM when...
out of 71
Post on 18-Dec-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONtalk by tim waters at State Of The Map 2012 OpenStreetMap Conference - a lighthearted talk about the enthusiasms about the project
- 1. You Know You are Addicted to OSM WhenTim Waters @tim_waters chippy
- 2. Definitions OCOSMD (JS Schmidt) Addiction Person Mapper CommunityWider ecosystem
- 3. OSM Purity Self Test Please edit & translate! If you feel compelled...http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/ wiki/OSM_purity_self-test
- 4. OSM Purity Self Test: What do you do if theweathers too bad to go outmapping at the weekend?
- 5. 0 - watch the TV1 - look at the OSM website to see howyour area is getting on2 - work on OSM software of some sort3 - wander round your local streets with aGPS for about half an hour, umbrella4 - catch the train, bus or drive tosomewhere unmapped and map it in vehicle5 - Go out all day regardless, nothing willstop you!
- 6. You Know You are Addicted to OSM When indicators
- 7. When you map your city and mark it complete
- 8. And so you move to another city with less OSM! Greg Durham Canada Steve & Hurricane Denver Seattle Mikel San Francisco Nairobi Marten Amsterdam Salt Lake City Kate Washington DC Indonesia
- 9. ... You forget to pick the girlfriend up from work, but remember the GPS.
- 10. ... You forget the keys to the car, but remember the GPS
- 11. When you keep count of the numberof OSM events you have attended.
- 12. When you lose count of the numberof OSM events you have attended! C
- 13. Your children only get map cakes!
- 14. When you take your GPS on a rollercoaster
- 15. When you map in the face of danger!
- 16. When you are offered a free lifthome by friends or relatives and youdirect them around different roads to get the most traces `
- 17. Have a whole year living with no copyrighted maps
- 18. When you write your own editor
- 19. And another editor...
- 20. And another one!
- 21. When your GPS breaks! And you get depressed.
- 22. When your GPS breaks...but its okay! Armchair mapping Walking Papers HOT Task Manager
- 23. You see a new roundabout, and decide to drive 6 times full circle init, to get all an inner and outer lanes. (JDS)
- 24. You go on holiday to a remoteScottish island, and your baby son says GPS as his first word - jonobennet GPS
- 25. When, even at your age, youre still looking for Easter Eggs - Maning http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/ Copyright_Easter_Eggs
- 26. You can tell where a trace is by reading the raw NMEA/GPX log...$GPRMC,184332.07,A,1929.459,S,02410.381,E,74.00,16.78,210410,0.0,E,A*2B$GPGGA,184333.07,1929.439,S,02410.387,E,1,04,2.8,100.00,M,33.9,M,,0000*65$GPGLL,1929.420,S,02410.393,E,184334.07,A,A*71$GPVTG,16.78,T,,M,74.00,N,137.05,K,A*36$GPRMC,184336.07,A,1929.380,S,02410.405,E,74.00,16.78,210410,0.0,E,A*27$GPGGA,184337.07,1929.361,S,02410.411,E,1,04,1.8,100.00,M,33.9,M,,0000*60$GPGLL,1929.341,S,02410.417,E,184338.07,A,A*76$GPVTG,16.78,T,,M,74.00,N,137.05,K,A*36$GPRMC,184340.07,A,1929.301,S,02410.429,E,74.00,16.78,210410,0.0,E,A*21$GPGGA,184341.07,1929.282,S,02410.435,E,1,04,2.3,100.00,M,33.9,M,,0000*63$GPGLL,1929.262,S,02410.441,E,184342.07,A,A*78$GPVTG,16.78,T,,M,74.00,N,137.05,K,A*36$GPRMC,184344.07,A,1929.223,S,02410.452,E,74.00,16.78,210410,0.0,E,A*28$GPGGA,184345.64,1929.203,S,02410.458,E,1,04,2.3,100.00,M,33.9,M,,0000*60$GPGLL,1929.183,S,02410.464,E,184346.07,A,A*77$GPVTG,16.78,T,,M,74.00,N,137.05,K,A*36
- 27. ?
- 28. You can convert degrees of latitude / longitude to meters in your head varR=6378.137;//RadiusofearthinKM vardLat=(lat2lat1)*Math.PI/180; vardLon=(lon2lon1)*Math.PI/180; vara=Math.sin(dLat/2)*Math.sin(dLat/2)+ Math.cos(lat1*Math.PI/180)*Math.cos(lat2* Math.PI/180)* Math.sin(dLon/2)*Math.sin(dLon/2); varc=2*Math.atan2(Math.sqrt(a),Math.sqrt(1 a)); vard=R*c; returnd*1000;
- 29. ...where a place is by its zoom 12 tile z/x/y 14/14553/6451
- 30. ?
- 31. Tokyo
- 32. You get excited by anew planet.osm dump every weekand buy huge new diskdrives and Bluerays to keep them on
- 33. And then you spend a few hours to extract the planet to get a dailyupdate in the growth of the planet, in bytes. 391915765760.02719321 bytes
- 34. You still have your tiles@home server farm sitting idle in the cupboard at work
- 35. More dysfunction...
- 36. You run for OpenStreetMap Foundation Board ...as a troll
- 37. You fork OSM
- 38. You reject the contributor terms
- 39. Meta
- 40. OCOSMD-ceptionWhen you do a talk about Addiction to OSM When you do a slidein the talk about the slide in the talk about Addiction to OSM
- 41. You run out of things to map, and soyou start mapping things that might be there. Like Ley lines
- 42. When you run a mapping party
- 43. When you mapped...
- 44. And mapped...
- 45. And mapped....
- 46. When you spend your evenings writing an OSM application 2285 openstreetmap repositories
- 47. When you spend your weekends maintaining the OSM servers
- 48. When you are in the Licensing Working Group
- 49. When you are in the Licensing Working Group . and like it!
- 50. When some things seem not that important...
- 51. Apple
- 52. GeoCaching
- 53. Foursquare
- 54. Craigslist
- 55. Nike
- 56. WHERES THEATTRIBUTION?!1!?!
- 57. When know who FakeSteveC is
- 58. When you ARE FakeSteveC
- 59. When you import the buildings around your neighbourhood of OSM into your open source flight simulator just so you can fly over them
- 60. You choose the most expensivechair in IKEA to serve your armchair mapping activities
- 61. When you camp outside an unopened shopping mall in thesnow with GPS + Camera... and get arrested firefishy (grant slater)
- 62. There is help...
- 63. 3 Steps Programme
- 64. Accept your obsessions
View more >