lifeshift: work change & the spiritual journey
Post on 26-Jun-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONCombines career management with eclectic ideas on faith and spirituality.
- 1. TRANSITIONSReflections on Career, Vocation & Faith
- Enhance awareness of and engagement with full range of work/career transition ideas and resources.
- Begin to discover connections among transition, vocational call and spirituality.
- *Dessin de Jean Olivier Heron
- CHANGE is avalanching upon ourheads and most people are grotesquely prepared to cope with it.
- Alvin Toffler, 1980
- Everything is changing.everything is connected..Pay attention.
- Jane Hirshfield
5. The future is not for everyone 6. Managing Transitions William Bridges Integration, reinventing yourself, new meaning, Success Setting new goals BEGINNINGS Anxiety, confusion, uncertainty, apathy, immobility Transitional period NEUTRAL ZONE EMOTIONS & OUTCOMES Anger, blame, fear, shock, denial, self-deception TASKS Dealing with loss STAGE ENDINGS 7. TransitionsWilliam Bridges
- Changesituational and external
- Transition---internal process of adapting to change
- May begin before change takes place
- Happens more slowly than the change
8. People in Transition Need or Benefit From
- Support, inspiration, structure and a plan
- Introspection/assessment and research skills
- Help in forming goals which incorporate passion, talents and employment realities
- Creative ideas for bridging past
- successes to new possibilities
- Preparation/practice in
- Job market knowledge and web savvy
9. Bridges Gap Analysis
- OLD WORKPLACE
- Pay for longevity/performance
- Infrequent job changes
- Permanent jobs
- Temporary jobs
- Implicit agreements
- NEW WORKPLACE
- Pay for contributions and results
- Frequent job changes
- Employment at will
- Contingent workforce
- Explicit agreements the art of the deal
- Job FunctionsSkills, Interests, Values
- Education & Credentials
- Work Environment/Organizational Culture
- Salary/Financial Needs
1 Job SearchArt and Science 2 3 4 5 6 7 Goals Define Career/Job Goals 11.
- Angel Investors
- Boards of Directors
- Contract workers
- Outsourced workers
- Portfolio Career Jugglers
- Coaches..see CarleensBoom or Bust
The best way to predict the future is to create it. Peter Druckerand his other not so inspirational one 12. We think too much..
- Descartes said we think therefore we exist
- When you listen to a thought, you are aware not only of the thought but also of yourself as witness of the thought. Be a silent observer of these thoughts. Sometimes, be amused by them.Are they helpful?....truthful?...soul-ful?... A new dimension of consciousness has come in.
- Eckart Tolle
- Are you worried? Do you have many what if thoughts? This has to do with your mindnot your souland you are projecting yourself into an imaginary future situation and creating fear. There is no way you can cope with such a situation, because it doesnt exist. Its a mental phantom.
- Eckart Tolle
14. Goals lead to DIRECTION..
- Its sensational what direction can do. The beauty of the human condition is the magic people are capable of when theres direction.
- Dan Burr, CEO People Express
- We learn who we have been and who we might become --in practice, not in theoryby testing fantasy and reality, through exploration and examination, not just by looking inside.
- Knowing oneself is critical, but it is usually the outcome ofand not a first input tothe reinvention process.
- Intense introspection poses the danger that a potential career planner will get stuck in the realm of daydreams.
- Herminia IbarraWORKING IDENTITY
16. Research..micro-research e.g. Kohls example
- "...the culture of any organization is a deep phenomenon; culture is complex and difficult to understand, but the effort to understand it is worthwhile because much of the mystery and the irrational in organizations suddenly becomes clear when we understand it..."Edgar Schein
- http:// interview.monster.com/articles/corp /
- Case Study:The corporate culture of a Fortune 50pharmaceutical company
1 Job SearchArt and Science 2 3 4 5 6 7 Awareness 17. The Journey..
- For this is the journey that men and women make to find themselves.
- If they fail in this, it doesnt
- matter much what else they find.
- James A. Michner
18. Have some faith.
- If youre in transition and you happen to have an old faith hanging in the closet of your heart, its probably a good time to bring it out and dust it off.
- -Dick Bolles
- To be spiritual means to know and to live according to the knowledge that there is more to life than meets the eye
20. Telliard de Chardin
- We are first spiritual beings--- who happen to be on this earth for a finite timenot just human beings with spiritual encounters .
21. Go Deep.
- Superficiality is the curse of the age. The doctrine of instant satisfaction
- is a primary spiritual problem. The desperate need today is not for a greater
- number of intelligent people, or gifted people, but for deep people. The classical
- disciplines of the spiritual life call us to move beyond surface living into depths.
- They invite us to explore the inner caverns of the spiritual realm. They urge us to
- be the answer to a hollow world.
- ____________________________________________ Richard Foster
22. Asking Questions
- Who am I and Whose am I?-- Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- Is what I have donemy life? Parker Palmer
- Where am I going?I dont see the road ahead of me Thomas Merton
- How can my deepest hunger intersect with a world need?-- Frederick Buechner
23. Merton on vocational call
- I am obscurely convinced that there is a need in the world for something I can provide and there is a need for me to provide it...someone else can do it, but something beyond or in me is asking me to.
- Thomas MertonJanuary 23, 1958
- .HEM.I BELIEVE
24. VOCATIONAL CALL----MYTHS & BARRIERS
- Vocation as historical conceptbiblical, religiousProphets
- Distrust of selfhood
- Outside call--not inner voice
25. Vocation CALL FROM INSIDE Now I become myself ---the person I wasmeant to be.Parker Palmer
- -- Hasidic tale- --Rabbi Zusa
- -- Clues from our childhood?- --not what should I do.but what is my nature?........
- --Micah---process not outcomes
- --Markstand up and cheer, youve been called
26. Using Talents/Gifts Giftedness is the only means I know of for the ordinary person to make sense out of life. Each one is given a purpose and the drive and competitiveness to achieve that purpose. Meaning is thereby built into the adventure of living for everyone. -Arthur Miller 27. Live Fully..
- If we are to live our lives fully and well, we must learn to embrace opposites, to live in a creative tension between our limits and our potentials. We musthonor our limitationsin ways that do not distort our nature, and we must trust and use our gifts in ways that fulfill our potentials God gave us. We must take the no of the way that closes and find the guidance it has to offerand take the yes of the way that opens and respond with the yes of our lives.Parker Palmer
28. Parkers 5 Shadows
- 1. Identity.deny others
- 2. Functional atheists..
- 3. Battleground..winners/losers
- 4. Chaos.manage our way out
- 5. Deny death.
29. The Soul .....
- OUR SOUL.Cant describe.but can name functions.
- Rooted in the ground of our being