Get ready for tomorrow, today!
Post on 15-Jan-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Harold WongSr. IT Pro Evangelistblogs.technet.com/haroldwong
- 2. Cambridge Scientific Center CP/CMSIBM System360/67
- 3. Type 1 (or native, bare metal) hypervisors run directly on the hosts hardware to control the hardware and to monitor guest operating systems. A guest operating system thus runs on another level above the hypervisor. Type 2 (or hosted) hypervisors Run within a conventional operating system environment. With the hypervisor layer as a distinct second software level, guest operating systems run at the third level above the hardware.
- 4. Locus ComputingCorporation Merge/386 Microsoft Flight Simulator. Youve come a long way baby!
- 5. October 26, 1998, VMware filed for a patent ontheir techniques, which is granted as U.S. Patent6,397,242.February 8, 1999, VMware introduced VMwareVirtual Platform for the Intel IA-32 architecture.
- 6. February 18, 2003, Microsoft acquired virtualization technologies (Virtual PC and unreleased product called "Virtual Server") from Connectix Corporation. Late 2003, EMC acquired VMware for $635 million. November 10, 2003 Microsoft releases Microsoft Virtual PC, which is machine-level virtualization technology, to ease the transition to Windows XP.
- 7. July 12, 2006 VMware releases VMware Server, a freemachine-level virtualization product for the servermarket.Microsoft Virtual PC 2006 is released as a freeprogram, also in July.
- 8. July 12, 2006 VMware releases VMware Server, a freemachine-level virtualization product for the servermarket.Microsoft Virtual PC 2006 is released as a freeprogram, also in July.
- 9. Hosted virtualization Hypervisor virtualization Guest Guest Guest 1 Guest 2 1 2 Host OS VMM Hypervisor Hardware Hardware Examples: Virtual PC & Virtual Server Examples: VMware Workstation Hyper-V KVM Xen VMware ESX
- 10. Monolithic Microkernel Hypervisor Hypervisor VM 1 VM 1 (Managem VM 2 VM 3 ent) (Admin) Virt VM 2 VM 3 Stack Virtualization Stack Drivers Drivers Drivers Hypervisor Drivers Hypervisor Hardware Hardware Implements a proprietary Simple partitioning functionality driver model within the Increases reliability and hypervisor minimizes attack surface More simple than a modern No third-party code (drivers run kernel, but still complex within VMs)
- 11. Server Application Virtualization VirtualizationPresentationVirtualization Having one vendor for the hypervisor, operating Desktop system, and much of our User State Virtualization application software was very appealing to us from a Virtualization support and cost perspective. Bert Van Pottelberghe, Document redirection Sales Director, Hostbasket Offline files
- 12. Challenges: Underutilized hardware Excessive power consumption Expensive space across datacenter and branch offices We expect to consolidate an additional 75 serversusing Hyper-V, which will lead to a cost savings of more than $325,000 annually. By the time we hit our fifth virtual machine, weve usually paid for the host. Long term, we will be able to reduce our total datacenter holdings by 75 percentfrom nearly 400 servers Server to fewer than 100 servers. Robert McShinsky Senior Systems Utilization Administrator, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center
- 13. Overview Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV) in Windows Server 2008 R2 CSV provides a single consistent file name space All Windows Server 2008 R2 Server servers see the same storage Benefits Easy setup; Uses NTFS No reformatting SANs Create one big data store No more drive letter problems Existing tools just work Highly recommended for live migration scenarios
- 14. All servers see the same storage
- 15. Overview Add and remove VHD and pass-through disks to a running VM without requiring a reboot. Hot-add/remove disk applies to VHDs and pass- through disks attached to the virtual SCSI controller Benefits Enables storage growth in VMs without downtime Enables additional datacenter backup scenarios Enables new SQL/Exchange scenarios
- 16. Dynamically streaming software as a centrally managedservice Streams applications to users Readily accessible applications Centralizes permissions Accelerate Windows deployment Never installs applications Accelerate application recovery Isolates applications Reduced application conflicts Provide real-time metering Minimize app-to-app compatibility testing reports Leverage existing PC Management investments Total Direct Cost Savings of $82/PC/year* Heidelberg App-V App-V App-V SP1 4.6 v.Next Microsoft Application Virtualization helps us dramatically reduce packaging time, optimize application delivery and management processes, and cut the total cost of ownership for our client environment. It paid for itself in just six months. Axel Junghans Global Client Manager Heidelberg * Microsoft App-V Cost Reduction Study, Sept. 2009
- 17. App-V for Desktops Virtual applications run on the user machine Consolidate & standardize images Build business continuity for applications Applications can be taken offline*Microsoft Application Virtualization CAL for Desktops is available through MDOP for Software Assurance only. App-V for Remote Desktop Services (RDS) Virtual applications run on the RDS Server Enable Server Consolidation Mitigate Roaming Profile Issues for Remote Transform RDS into a dynamic system Desktop Services*Microsoft Application Virtualization CAL for Terminal Services is now included as part of the RDS CAL App-V Hosting for Desktops Available through Service Provider License Agreement Allows organization to host virtual applications on behalf of their customers Hosting for Desktops Can be used for 3rd party or LOB application delivery*Microsoft Application Virtualization for Service Providers is available and sold separately from MDOP
- 18. Full integration with SCCM (or a customers existingsoftware delivery system) for deployment, patchingand application delivery.Users can allow Windows to save their password, eliminatingthe need to sign on to the MED-V environment.Seamless integration with the Windows 7 My Documentsand Desktop folders, host-accessible printers, andhost USB devices.
- 19. Partner Enterprise PartnersTechnology Deployments such as User Profiles
View more >
Tomorrow Ready CIO - IDG ?· Tomorrow Ready CIO Introduction This presentation was given to the Tomorrow…
Get Ready for Tomorrow, Today. Become an enterprise Ready for Tomorrow, Today. Become an ... • Leverage the public cloud as a sourcing model ... Configuration CMS Incident problem