your resume is not your linkedin profile
out of 19
Post on 02-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONYour Resume Is Not Your LinkedIn Profile, presented to Salt Lake City Job Club, 4/14/2011
- 1. Your Resume Is Not Your LinkedIn Profile
Amy L. Adler
Inscribe / Express
- 2. Hi. Allow Meto Introduce Myself
- 3. Your Resume Versus Your LinkedIn Profile
- 4. Where Does That Leave You?With Two Job Search Must-Haves
- 5. Whats It For?
Gets you the interview
Demonstrate that you exist (online)
Passive job searching
- 6. Your Resume IS Your LinkedIn
- 7. Your Resume ISNOTYour LinkedIn
- 8. Target Audience: Who Is It For?
Unidirectional, largely private
About you, for them
Develop multiple versions
Public information (usually)
Searchable within LinkedIn and via Google
You cannot control who your audience is
One size must fit all
- 9. Make Your Profile Work for Your Audience
Dont repeat your resumeextend and expand it.
Tell amazing stories in your natural voice
Indicate youre open to new opportunities
Use language you would use to find you
Find a way to draw your reader in with your voice and your stories
- 10. Layout and Design
Two pages, maximum (~6000 characters)
Some design flexibility, within reason
Meet your audiences expectations
Level of experience
Word limits (e.g., summary=2000 characters)
Otherwise, the sky is the limitalmost
Add ins: Blog, slides, documents,
Reorganize to emphasize what makes sense to your audience
- 11. Work the LinkedIn Page: Note the Medium
Your audience has a short attention span
Be brief but colorful
Give them a call to action
The layout is like a web page:
Use white space
- 12. Potential for Innovation
You probably dont want to be too creative.
Think sitcom format
Be creative (yet truthful) with your language choices
- 13. LinkedIn Innovation: What Do You Want Them to Know?
Dont like it?
Dont use it.
Add what works.
Move things around.
Make it useful and readabledont gild the lily.
- 14. Options for Extending LinkedIn
Branding in YOUR voice, not in resumespeak.
Twitter feed see it, and post to it with your LinkedIn updates
Add in options that work for your job search
- 15. Keep Your Engagement Fresh
Ask question; provide answers
- Search Updates for Salt Lake City, Project Manager, or any other topic you want to learn about
View more >