tabj resume/linkedin workshop presentation 100513
out of 12
Post on 11-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONTriad Association of Black Journalists members helped 25 students from Bennett College, N.C. A&T State University, Winston-Salem State University, Forsyth Tech Community College and UNCG during the resume workshop on Oct. 5, 2013. TABJers helped the aspiring journalists improve their resumes, reels, LinkedIn profiles, online portfolios and interview skills during the presentations and one-on-one critiques.
- 1. RESUME WORKSHOP 2013 Resumes/Reels | LinkedIn | Portfolios | Interviews Bennett College for Women
- 2. RESUMES/REELS RESUME TIPS Write a cover letter Be clear, concise and to the point Tailor each resume to each job/internship Include contact information SELL YOURSELF!
- 3. RESUMES/REELS
- 4. REEL TIPS RESUMES/REELS www.youtube.com/kecharles www.medialine.com www.collectivetalent.com www.talentapes.com Keep it classy.
- 5. LINKEDIN: The Living, Social Resume LINKEDIN Nine out of 10 (94 percent) of recruiters turn to LinkedIn to find new hires
- 6. LINKEDIN TIPS On LinkedIn, recruiters are looking for: LINKEDIN Professional experience Length of professional tenure Specific hard skills Source: Jobvite
- 7. LINKEDIN TIPS The Basics LINKEDIN Headline/Title Photo Summary Contact Info. Current and Previous Experience News Companies/Groups Courses Status Updates Certificates
- 8. LINKEDIN TIPS NO. 1 | Make your profile easy to find Use keywords a potential employee might use in job descriptions Add strong keywords in your Title and Summary sections Try making a Six-Word Professional Statement Ashley: Collaborative leader exploring design for good. James: Complicated problem solver; simple design developer. LINKEDIN NO. 2 | Create strategic alliances Find students and professionals in similar markets Use the Advanced Search feature to filter by groups, location, industry NO. 3 | Personalize invitations DONT use the generic note Give them a reason to click Accept
- 9. LINKEDIN TIPS NO. 4 | Visually enhance your profile Videos Images/Graphics Presentations NO. 5 | Follow your crush companies LINKEDIN Understand how their brand and what theyre looking for Get jobs/internship alerts NO. 6 | Keep your newsfeed current NO. 7 | Do unto others... Recommendations Endorsements
- 10. LINKEDIN TIPS NO. 8 | Add school courses and projects This helps if you dont have much work or internship experience NO. 9 | Connect with people oine PORTFOLIOS NO. 10 | Include whats not fit to print Volunteer experiences Interests
- 11. PORTFOLIO TIPS NO. 1 | Brand you Define your message Showcase your personality and skills | www.abbeytv.com PORTFOLIOS NO. 2 | Collect your best work Writing samples | http://bit.ly/NewspaperClips Graphic design examples Web design Photography NO. 3 | Keep it neat and clean Keep pages to a specific subject or media type Use clear language for your navigation menu http://bit.ly/PRSAPortfolioTips08
- 12. PORTFOLIO TIPS More Tips http://bit.ly/NABJDTFPortfolioTips http://bit.ly/5FreePortfolioSites PORTFOLIOS Free/Cheap Options WordPress.com Wix.com Tumblr.com Weebly.com Squarespace.com Bluehost.com (for setting up a self-hosted WordPress template)
View more >