t7 b18 congress and avsec 107th fdr- email and info from berrick re gao congressional...

Upload: 911-document-archive

Post on 30-May-2018

Category:

Documents

0 download

TRANSCRIPT

• 8/14/2019 T7 B18 Congress and AVSEC 107th Fdr- Email and Info From Berrick Re GAO Congressional Requests-Mandates Re

1/8

j r a i d t _ _ _ . . . . - - ; ; - ' : ' 9 / l l Personal PrivacyFrom:Sent:To:Subject:

C a t h l e e n A Berrick [Bem'ckCgT"F r i d a y , A u g u s t 0 1 , 003 1:39 PM~j r a i d t @ 9 - 1 1 c o m m i s s i o n . g o v ; johnr ai d bGAO C on g r e s s i on a l R e q u e s t s / M a n d a t e s Re:, .viation SecurityPrior to 9-11

Aviation Security GAOHQ-#926S5-vReviews Requ... 2-9-ll_COMMISSI...Hello John,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your request,specifically tracks your question, so we had tocreate a program to collect the data.We do not keep data in our system that

We did a detailed search of our databases and did not identify any request or mandaterelated to aviation security, prior to 9-11,that did not result in an issued product(report or testimony). Having said this, since we don't specifically track this data,something could have slipped through the cracks that we did not detect.However, As information, I've attached a spreadsheet listing all GAO reports related toaviation security that were requested prior to9-11.You should already have a listing of reports issued post-9-11 (unclassified). In thespreadsheet, all of the unclassified reports were requested or mandated prior to 9-11-and three of these reports were actually issued after 9-11. The reamining unclassifiedreports listed were all requested and issued prior to 9-11. Of the classified reports(shaded in yellow), one was requested and issued prior to 9-11.Of the remaining classified reports, they were all requested and issued after 9-11. Forthe classified reports, I've attached a separate unclassified document outling theobjectives for each of those reviews.So - the short answer is that as far as we can tell from our records (however, we could bemissing something), GA O did not receive a request or m andate prior to 9-11 that did notresult in a written product. We did,however, have 3 requests that came prior to 9-11,but the report was not issued until after 9-11.I hope this answers your question. If not,please let me know if you need anythingadditional. You can reach me at (202) 512-3404.Thanks,Cathy

• 8/14/2019 T7 B18 Congress and AVSEC 107th Fdr- Email and Info From Berrick Re GAO Congressional Requests-Mandates Re

2/8

Av iation Security Related R eports Requested/Mandated Prior to September 11thReport N u m b e rGAO-03-22

GAO-01-1165TGAO-01-1069RGAO-01-171

RCED-00-181

GAO/T-AIMD-00-330GAO/AIMD-00-252GAO/RCED-00-75

GAO/ T-RCED/AMID-00-142

GAO/T-RCED-00-125

GAO/RCED-99-53

GAO/RCED-98-102GAO/T-RCED-98-190

GAO/RCED-97-111R

Report TitleAviation Safety: Undeclared A ir Shipments ofDangerous Goods andDOT's EnforcementApproachAviation Security: Weaknesses in Airport Securityand Options for Assigning ScreeningResponsibilitiesResponses of Federal A gencies and Airports WeSurveyed about Access Secu rity Improvem entsFA A Computer Security: Recommendations toImprove Continuing WeaknessesAviation Security: Additional Controls Needed toAddress Weaknesses in Carriage of WeaponsRegulationsFA A Computer Security: Actions Needed toAddress Critical Weaknesses That JeopardizeAviation OperationsFAA Computer Security: Concerns Remain Dueto Personnel and Other Continuing W eaknessesAviation Security: Long-Standing ProblemsImpair Airport Screeners' PerformanceAviation Security: Vulnerabilities Still Exist inthe Av iation Security SystemAviation Security: Slow Progress in AddressingLong-Standing Screener Perform ance ProblemsAviation Security: FAA's Actions to StudyResponsibilities and Funding for Airport Securityand to Certify Screening CompaniesAviation Security: Implementation ofRecommendations Is Under W ay, but CompletionWill Take Several YearsAviation Security: Progress Being Made, butLong-term A ttention Is NeededAviation Security: FAA's Procuremen t ofExplosives Detection D evices

Date RequestedMarch 28, 2001

April 27, 2001May 8, 2001

DatJanua

SeptemAugus

Decem

Septem

SeptemAugus

JuneApri

M arc

Februa

AprilMayMay

3/8

GAO/RCED-97-119RGAO/RCED-97-88R

GAO/T-RCED-97-90GAO/T-RCED/NSIAD-96-262

GAO/T-RCED/NS1AD-96-251

G AO/T-RCED/NSIAD-96-237

Aviation Security: Commercially AvailableAdvanced Explosives Detection DevicesAviation Security: Posting Notices at DomesticAirportsAviation Safety an d Security: Challenges toImplementing the Recommendationsof the WhiteHouse Commission on Aviation Safety and SecurityAviation Security: Technology's Role inAddressing Vulne rab i l i t i e sAviation Security: Urgent Issues Need to BeAddressedAviation Security: Immediate Action Needed toImprove Security

ApriMarc

MarcSeptemSeptem

Augu

GAO/RCED-95-25

GAO-02-713C

GAO-01-1164T

GAO-01-1174T

GAO-01-1068R

GAO-03-248NI

Aviation Security: FAA Can Help Ensure ThatAirports' Access Control Systems Are Cost-EffectiveAviation Security: Deployment and Capabilities ofExplosive Detection Equipment (CLASSIFIED-Confidential)Aviation Security: Information on Vulnerabilities inthe Nation's Air Transportation System(NOT FOR PUBLIC DISSEMINATION - 19 1 Protected)Aviation Security: Information on the Nation's AirTransportation SystemVuhierabilities(NOT FORPUBLIC DISSEMINATION - 191 Protected)Responses of Federal Agencies and Airports WeSurveyed about Access Securitylmprovements(RESTRICTED - Law Enforcement Senstive)Aviation Security: Measures Needed to ImproveSecurity of Pilot Certification Process (NEED TOKNOW BASIS - Sensitive Security Information)

February 7, 2002After

September 11,2001After

September 11,2001

December 1,2000

December 1, 2001

Marc

June

Septem

Septem

Augus

Febru

4/8

Objectives

5/8

6/8

Report number:Report title:

Date of Request:Issued:Classification:Objective:

GAO-01-1068RResponses of Federal Agencies and Airports We Surveyed About AccessSecurity ImprovementsDecember 2000August 31,2001Law E nforcement Sensitive1. What security improvements were implem ented by federal

agencies and airports as a result of testimony presented in May 2000?

Report number:Report Title:

Date of Request:Issued:Classification:Objectives:

GAO-03-248NIAv iation Security: Measures Needed to Improv e Security of PilotCertification ProcessDecember 2001February 3, 2003Sensitive Security Inform ation1. What elem ents of the existing procedures for issuing pilot

certificates, including the practice of mailing certificates to post officeboxes, m ight a terrorist exploit in order to obtain a pilot certificate?2. What are the potential security risks associated with pilotcertificate privileges?

7/8

GAO -01 -1174T (Statement for the Record)Aviation Security: Information on the Nation's Air Transportation SystemVulnerabilities .After September 11,2001September 26. 2001Not for public d istribution (191 protected)Testimony that discussed 3 issues:1. Security practices at air traffic control facilities and on computersystems,2. Airport access controls, and3. Screeners' detection of weapons, explosives, and other dangerous

objects during the Federal Aviation Administration's tests ofscreeners.

GAO-01-1164T (Statement for the Record)Av iation Security: Inform ation on Vu lnerabilities in the Natio n's A irTransportation SystemAfter September 11, 2001September 26 , 2001Not for public distribution (191 protected)Testimony that discussed 3 issues:1. Security practices at air traffic control facilities and on computersystems,2. Airport access controls, and3. Screeners' detection of weapons, explosives, and other dangerousobjects during the Federal Av iation Ad ministration's tests of

screeners.

8/8

Report number: GAO-02-713CReport title: Aviation Security: Dep loym ent an d Capabilities of Explosive DetectionEquipmentDate of Request: February 7, 2002Issued: June 30, 2002Classification: Confidential1. How many bulk explosive detection systems an d trace explosive detection devises have beendeployed at US airports and how are they being used? 2. What types of explosives can thisequipmen t detect? 3. What are the major difference, including strengths and weaknesses amongthese types of equipment?