sand casting

Download sand casting

Post on 21-Jan-2017

66 views

Category:

Engineering

0 download

Embed Size (px)

TRANSCRIPT

Slide 1

IPTR 1- REVIEWST JOSEPH UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY COMPANY NAME : TANGANYIKA PLANTING COMPANY (TPC) Ltd. STUDENT NAME : AMRAN HASHIM ALLY REGISTRATION NO. : 14171052003MECHANICAL ENGINEERING

abstract

TANGANYIKA PLANTING COMPANY (TPC) Ltd. Is one of the sugar industry in Tanzania which is located at Moshi established in early 1930s. The company was registered in Tanzania as TPC on 29th June 1973 and shareholders remained the same M/s A.P.Moller of Denmark. Sukari Investment Company Ltd purchased 75% of shares of TPC limited in March 2000, and became the majority shareholders of the company; the government retained the remaining 25%. . The factory crushing capacity has been increased from 125TCH to 160 TCH, the area under sugarcane was extended from about 6000ha to 8000ha. The harvests season at Tpc lasts for 8.5 months from July to mid-March because of the long rains which usually hindering the harvesting and transportation of cane, the sucrose content also falls to the lowest level during the rainy season.

COMPANY DETAILS

Sand castingPATTERN DESIGN AND MOULDING PROCESS

Pattern designPattern making:Motor fanBushHollow shaftEjectorSquare nut

MOULDING Moldingormoulding; is the process ofmanufacturing by shaping liquid or pliable raw material using a rigid frame called a mold or matrix.This itself may have been made using a pattern or model of the final object

Mold materialsThere are four main components for making a sand casting mold:base sand, abinder,additives, and aparting compound.Molding sands, also known asfoundry sands, are defined by eight characteristics: refractoriness, chemical inertness, permeability, surface finish, cohesiveness, flow ability, collapsibility, and availability/costBindersare added to base sand to bond the sand particles together (i.e. it is the glue that holds the mold together).A mixture ofclayand water is the most commonly used binder. There are two types of clay commonly used:bentoniteandkaolinite

Preparation of moulding sandRequired to mixNon mineral sea sandBentoniteWaterMixing of water was gradual process for proper wetness (low wet sand was required) ,the mixture allowed to settle while little water spread.

Moulding processSelection of moulding boxDrag andCope

Selection was base on type of pattern either:Split orSolidFor split one piece was put on drag and another on the cope and then joined with proper alignment and the molding sand was introduced and compact together to give the shape requiredFor solid pattern the moulding box was selected which fit the height of the sample.All before pattern were insert graphite was polished first and the pattern carefully removedThe boxes were placed near high heat to fasten the drainess and proper binding The boxes was allowed to cool for 5-6 hours .

Sand casting scheme

Example of split pattern(ejector)

Melting of brass materialsFurnace used was Diesel and Air furnaceFirst it was lighted for Cleaning of the furnace, by allow it to get heated for some time and remove the molten slag waste.Introduction of brass material to the furnace The material was heated between temperature 1600c to 2000cThe crucible were prepared placed near the furnaceAfter the brass was properly melted it was poured into the crucible and then into the mold boxes to give the required shape and allowed to cool and solidify.

DIESEL AND AIR FURNACE

Pouring of molten brass in the moldsAfter cooling the mold was defragmented by carefully removing the sand part The remaining part was the workpiece requiredIt was further taken for machining operation

Following safe practicesWear heat-safe gloves, apron, and bootsWear cotton or wool clothingProtect your face and eyesConsider a respirator

conclusion I am well satisfied with my training. I have learned many new technical subjects, acquired a number of new technical skills and improved another group of existing skills such as:Increased skills in repairing faulty in machine processLarge steps in improving my abilities in designing and repairing of materialsMost important is how team work create high efficiency and excellent work performance.