welcome to our class
Post on 03-Jan-2016
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONWelcome to our class. modal verbs. . 1.To talk about ability. can, could, be able to * be able to can / could * was / were able to : managed to do sth. succeeded in doing sth. . - PowerPoint PPT Presentation
can, could, be able to *be able to can / could *was / were able to : managed to do sth. succeeded in doing sth.
1.To talk about ability
2. To talk about obligationought to/should have to must
*have to ,. ought to ought not to/oughtnt to
3. To talk about uncertaintymight may should ought to will must
may / might, can / could
* might, could , .* can, may .* could, might can, may.4. To talk about permission
will can could would 5. To make requests6. To make suggestionsShall we do some exercise this morning?7. To make offers
8. To give adviceShall I get a ticket for you?You should not/ought not to eat a lot before swimming.
1. A computer ______ think for itself; it must be told what to do. A. cant B. couldnt C. may not D. might not2. The fire spread through the hotel very quickly but everyone ______ get out. A. had to B. would C. could D. was able toA D
3. They will ______ run this machine on theirown in three months.A. can B. could C. may D. be able to
4. Could I borrow your dictionary? Yes, of course you _______. A. might B. will C. can D. should5. Might I watch TV after supper? Yes, you ________. A. may B. must C. might D. can
must may, mightcould cant, couldntcan, could + V. + V. + have donemust be + be doing + V. + V. + have done + be doing +V. + V. + have done + be doing+ V. + V. + have done + be doing
1. I don't know where she is, she _______ be in Wuhan. 2. At this moment, our teacher ________________ our exam papers. 3. The road is wet. It ________________ last night. . 4. Your mother ______________________ for you. maymust be markingmust have rainedmust have been looking
5. Philip ________________________ seriously in the car accident. .6. ---Linda has gone to work, but her bicycle is still here.---She _____________________ (go) by bus.7. Mike ________________ his car, for he came to work by bus this morning.
may (might) have been hurtmay (might) have gonecant have found
1.shall, will : shall / will+ : * shall . * will .* should, would.
1. He ______ be punished if he disobeys. , .2. We are not going to quarrel at all if you ____ only let me speak. , .3. --Sir, ____ he go or stay? --Let him go. A. will B. shall C. might D. couldshallwillB
4. The door _______ open. .5. Ronald ______ stay in his small garden for a long time every day in the past. A. could B. might C. should D. would6. You _____ have the book after I read it. .wontD shall
mustnt , neednt ( = dont have to )cant ; may not ; shouldnt ( = ought not to )
3. + have done
12 Must have done You must have worked hard for a long time, for your performance is wonderfulcant / couldnt have doneYour brother couldnt have gone abroad, for I saw him last night
1. I could have called you for help, but I didnt remember your number.
2. His illness was too serious; otherwise he could have been saved.
3. I might have given you more help, but I was too busy
4. dare / needdare to do / need to do dont dare (to) do / dont need to do ()dare do / need dodare not do / need not do ()//
(Voice) (Passive Voice) be + V-ed
?1..2. be +be.3.by.
When do we use the passive voice?Many houses will be built here.1. The song The East is Red was written by a poor peasant.2.
The plan was supported by those who wished to have more chances to speak English.3. You are requested to attend the meeting.4. ,
Summary:do/doesare/is doneam/is/are doinghas/have doneam/is/are being donehave/has been done
be going to/will dodidwas/were doinghad donebe going to/will be donewas/were donewas/were being donehad been done
Fill in the blanks with the right form of the words given:I __________ (give) a new book by my father on my birthday.English __________ (find) very useful.3. The work ___________________ (finish) tomorrow.4. The flowers ____________________ (water) by them now.was given is foundwill be finished are being watered
5. The railway ______________ (build) this time last year.6. The new way ____ already _________ (build).7. The new railway ________________ (build) by the end of last year.8. He told me the sports meeting _____________ (hold) the next month.9. Rice ________ (grow) in the south of the States.was being builthas been builthad been builtwould be held is grown
1.feel,taste,sound,smell,lookThis material feels very soft.
2. sell,read, write,wash,wear,lastThe pen writes smoothly
3. be worth doingThis book is well worth reading
+ be done+ have been done+ be being done
1. The viewer can touch the objects in the film.2. The viewer may feel a real sense of achievement and happiness.The objects in the film can be touched.A real sense of achievement and happiness may be felt..
3. Film-makers should use RealCine for all films.4. The viewer must wear special gloves.RealCine should be used for all films.Special gloves must be worn.
1. Town Hall is the tallest building in the city. ______ from here? A. Can it see B. Can it be seen C. Can be seen it D. Can see Exercise B Town Hall () BC B
2. The ceremony has already started. Look! The flag is ______ now. A. being raised B. risen C. being rose D. raising A rise vi. B, C raise vt. D being raised
3. The assassinationattempt ______ millions, because the speech was on television. A. was seen by B. was saw by C. seen by D. was seen for AassassinationA
4. The things talked about in this report ______ over ayear ago. A. had taken place B. took place C. have taken place D. were taken place B (take place, occur, happen) ()
5. The Anti-Japanese War ___in 1937 and it _____eight years. A. was broken out; lasted B. broke out; lasted C. break out; lasts D. broke out; was lasted B break out, last
6. Come and sit down by the fire. Your hand ______. A. feels so cold B. is felt so coldly C. feels so coldlyD. feel so cold A feelseem, sound, look
7. I need one more stamp before my collection______. A. has completed B. completes C. has been completed D. is completed Dbeforecollection complete
8. In some parts of the world, tea ___ with milk and sugar. A. is serving B. is served C. serves D. served BBCserve
9. If city noises ___ from increasing, people ___shout to be heard even at the dinner table 20 yearsfrom now. A. are not kept; will have to B. are not kept; have to C. do not keep; will have to D. do not keep; have to AIfABA