Saul Greenberg User Centered Design Why User Centered Design is important Approaches to User Centered Design.
out of 12
Post on 18-Dec-2015
- Slide 1
- Saul Greenberg User Centered Design Why User Centered Design is important Approaches to User Centered Design
- Slide 2
- Saul Greenberg System Centered Design
- Slide 3
- Saul Greenberg System Centered Design What can be built easily on this platform? What can I create from the available tools? What do I as a programmer find interesting to work on?
- Slide 4
- Saul Greenberg User Centered System Design Design is based upon a users abilities and real needs context work tasks know the person you are designing for.
- Slide 5
- Saul Greenberg User Centered System Design From Denning and Dargan, p111 in Winograd, Ed., Bringing Design to Software, Addison Wesley Denning and Dargan, 1996 Three assumptions A good design will satisfy the needs of the user group Collaborative Constant communication
- Slide 6
- Saul Greenberg Participatory Design Problem intuitions wrong traditional methods (e.g., interviews) suffers from a number of weaknesses designer cannot know the user sufficiently well to answer all issues that come up during the design The user is just like me Solution designers should have access to pool of representative users -END users, not their managers or union reps!
- Slide 7
- Saul Greenberg Participatory Design Users become first class members in the design process Users considered subject matter experts Iterative design process
- Slide 8
- Saul Greenberg Participatory Design (Up Side) Users are excellent at reacting to suggested system designs Users bring in important folk knowledge of work context Greater buy-in for the system often results
- Slide 9
- Saul Greenberg Participatory Design (Down side) Hard to get a good pool of end users Users are not expert designers The user is not always right
- Slide 10
- Saul Greenberg Methods For Involving The User At the very least, talk to users surprising how many designers dont! Contextual Inquiries interview users in their workplace, as they are doing their job used to discover users culture, requirements, expectations, etc. Explain designs get input at all design stages -all designs subject to revision important to have visuals and/or demos -people react far differently with verbal explanations
- Slide 11
- Saul Greenberg What You Now Know User centered design design is based upon a users real needs, tasks, and work context Participatory design brings end-user in as a first class citizen into the design process
- Slide 12
- Saul Greenberg Articulate: who users are their key tasks User and task descriptions Goals: Methods: Products: Brainstorm designs Task centered system design Participatory design User- centered design Evaluate tasks Psychology of everyday things User involvement Representation & metaphors low fidelity prototyping methods Throw-away paper prototypes Participatory interaction Task scenario walk- through Refined designs Graphical screen design Interface guidelines Style guides high fidelity prototyping methods Testable prototypes Usability testing Heuristic evaluation Completed designs Alpha/beta systems or complete specification Field testing Interface Design and Usability Engineering
View more >
Saul Greenberg User Centered Design and Prototyping Why User Centered Design is important How Prototyping helps User Centered Design.
James Tam User Centered Design Why User Centered Design is important Approaches to User Centered Design.
James Tam User Centered Design And Prototyping Why User Centered Design is important Approaches to User Centered Design Rapid prototype techniques.
User Centered Design and Prototyping Why user-centered design is important Prototyping and user centered design Prototyping methods Slide deck by Saul.
CPSC 481 1 User Centered Design and Prototyping Why user-centered design is important Prototyping User centered design Prototyping methods.
User-Centered System Design - UMD Department of ... User-Centered System Design Why User-Centered Design is important Ways to involve the user in the process Image credit: 2 System-Centered Design 3 ...
User-Centered Interface Design. 2 What is user-centered design? First, lets see some everyday examples of design that is NOT user-centered.