Researching In Virtual Worlds
Post on 27-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONA presentation I gave to a research methods class at UofF in Second Life.
- 1. ResearchingInVirtual Worlds Mark Bell PhD Student Indiana University Synthetic Worlds Initiative
2. Mark Bell Indiana University Synthetic Worlds Initiative Social NetworksVirtual World Experimentation Author of Second Life For Dummies 3. 4. Virtual Congress Londontown 5. A newtoolfor research 6.
- Therealworld isnot as realas you think
- Thevirtualworld is morerealthan you think
- For research,virtuality or gameness does not matter
06/01/09 Castronova & Cummings 7. Arden
- Commercial-gradevirtual world
- MacArthur Foundation seed grant for 100 hours of game play by 500 people
- Multiverse engine
- Medieval Somerset, History, Shakespeare
- No Results
10. No tried and trueplatformfor creating a world Multiverse NeverWinter Nights Second Life Metaplace 11. Academic investigatorvs.Fulltimedevelopmentteam 12.
- Little Experiments
- Need smaller-scale experiment tools
- Each finely tailored for a specific question
- Include core elements of:
13. Arden 2 14. Fourapproaches Little Experiments Creation of New, Vast Worlds Observation of Natural Experiments Co-creation with Commercial Sector 15. Surveys Content Analysis Experiments 16. Current Work 17. Future Work dusk 18.
- Mark Bell
- SL: Typewriter Tackleberry
- Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter