Janet Reyes portfolio
Post on 29-Mar-2016
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONAcademic Advisor Portfolio
Janet Reyes Silva
Academic Advising Professional Portfolio
JANET REYES SILVA PAGE 2
JANET REYES SILVA
EDUCATION Mid- America Christian University Oklahoma City, OK MA- Leadership in Public Administration University of Central Oklahoma Edmond, OK B.B.A in Integrated Marketing Communication
RELATED EXPERIENCE TEXAS STATE UNIVERSITY/ PACE CENTER
Academic Advisor August 2012 Present - Provide academic advising on various disciplines in the college
readiness aspect, to help within the transition into college of incoming freshman.
- Guide and develop satisfactory progress plans for PACE students through a self-assessment process and the exploration of his/her career goals
- Handle most academics related requests to include curriculum concerns and issues, student orientations, academic appeals, probation and dismissal counseling.
- Maintain and update confidential student files as hard copies as well as electronically in the Banner/DegreeWorks/COGNOS/BDMS systems.
HUSTON- TILLOTSON UNIVERSITY Assistant Director of Recruitment and Admissions July 2011 August 2012 - Demonstrated expertise in managing admission recruitment
activities through conducting and organizing direct contact, school presentation, college fair and informational meeting programs targeting local and national markets.
- Provided academic advising services to a 900 student body and accurately present information regarding the schools programs and tuition fee, schedules, refund policy, payment plans, and other college policies and procedures that involve the student and mediate for student concerns related to grades, degree plan, and instructor issues.
- Collaborate with the director of career and academic planning in initiating the career and academic planning process as part of the admissions intake procedure
JANET REYES SILVA PAGE 3
- Accurately develop and monitor statistical reports to efficiently develop recruitment strategies, yield management, forecasting, and operational efficiency
THE WHELAN GROUP Sr. Consultant in Hispanic Enrollment Marketing July 2010 - July 2011 - Assisted colleges and universities in the understanding of their
existing diverse student body by conducting qualitative on-site research.
- Developed material copy and design for ethnicity variable marketing campaigns.
- Reviewed monthly institutional enrollment data to assess results of ethnicity variable campaigns.
- Addressed internal institutional issues related to diversity and implemented strategic solutions to improve inclusive admissions goals, bilingual staff recruiting, outreach services and budget maintenance.
TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY Senior Regional Admissions Counselor November 2007- July 2010 - Responsible for all phases of recruitment for the South Texas area by
providing leadership and direction over four major areas, San Antonio, Rio Grande Valley, Laredo, and Corpus Christi.
- Planned and coordinated regional programs and recruitment events which included, high school visits, application and financial aid workshops, as well as collaboration projects with other colleges and parent-teacher associations.
- Established and maintained an active recruiting role at assigned high school campuses by participating in college fairs within all of south Texas and corresponding with prospective students and guidance counselors through email and specific mail-outs.
JANET REYES SILVA PAGE 4
TEACHING EXPERIENCE TEXAS STATE UNIVERSITY - SAN MARCOS Teaching Assistant/Intern for University Seminar course US 1100 2013 - Work closely with assigned Adjunct Professor in the planning and
implementing of lesson plans in course.
- Responsibility includes, substituting, small group instruction, Individual instruction, and assisting in a classroom.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT At Risk Training Helping Struggling students 2012 Interactive online course that trains educators how to act as a resource with students dealing with emotional distress, depression, anxiety, and even thoughts of suicide that may also compromise students academic achievements affecting their ability to stay in school.
This Institutional Research workshop 2012 Workshop covered extensive and flexible set of Texas State data in tabular and graphical formats using MS Excel as the tool; make comparisons among Texas public colleges and universities using improved tools at the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board; compare public and private universities around the nation using improved data tools from the U.S. Department of Education; and use web-based data sources from the U.S. Census Bureau, Bureau of labor Statistics, and other organizations as time permits.
SELECTED PROFFESIONAL COMMITTEE INVOLVEMENT NACADA Marketing &Promotions Team committee member Texas State University October 2012 Present Assessment Team committee member Texas State University 2012 Present Health Professions Liaison Committee Texas State University 2012 Present Community Relations Chair - S.A. office Texas Tech University 2008 July 2010 Programming Chair for the S.A. Admissions office Year term 2010 Texas Tech University Program Development Co- Chair, S.A. Office TTU August 2008 2010
JANET REYES SILVA PAGE 5
CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS Ayuda! Lost in Translation: Latino Males in an Educational Crisis that affect Retention within Higher Education Presenter at the National Academic Advising Association Regional conference 2013 Hispanic Recruiting: Understanding the underrepresented student demographic Exhibitor Presenter at National Association for College Admissions Counseling 66th Annual Conference, St. Louis, MO 2010
LANGUAGES English Native Language Spanish Speak fluently and read/write with high proficiency
MEMBERSHIPS NACADA ( National Academic Advising Association) Texas Academic Advising Network Greater Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Austin- Education Committee Member Greater Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Austin- STEM Mentor for AISD Hispanic Network of Austin San Antonio Recruiters (SARs) networking association National Hispanic Institute program volunteer Texas Association of College Admission Counseling National Association for College Admissions National Association of Hispanic Journalist
JANET REYES SILVA PAGE 6
Academic Advising Philosophy Statement
Academic Advising is a practice of teaching students to learn how to set objectives and evaluating
the outcomes together, through providing opportunities and supporting resources that allow them
to be self-sufficient. Advisors have the sole responsibility to be consistent with there students by
constantly researching various ways to provide opportunities in developmental learning tasks that
pertain to the areas of academic achievement, career development, supporting undergraduate
research experiences and, encouraging students to participate in student organizations well beyond
the institution for personal growth.
I strongly believe that education is the key to a students successful future, and educators, as well as
advisors are advocates of guiding those dreams into the correct path.
Each student is a unique individual who needs a secure, caring, and stimulating atmosphere in
which to grow and mature emotionally, intellectually, physically, and socially.
Moreover, as an advisor, student advocate and mentor I strived to help students met their fullest
potential in these areas by providing an environment that is safe, as well as by providing
educational guidance and effective resources that assist students during their college transition
process in higher education.
JANET REYES SILVA PAGE 7
Description of career - Academic Advisor
Purpose of Classification:
Advising is a developmental process, which assists students in the clarification of their
life/career goals and in the development of educational plans for the realization of these
goals. It is a decision-making process which assists students in realizing their maximum
educational potential through communication and information exchanges with an advisor; it
is ongoing, multi-faceted, and the responsibility of both student and advisor. The advisor
serves as a facilitator of communication; a coordinator of learning experiences through
course and career planning and program progress review; and an agent of referral to other
campus services as necessary.
On a daily basis:
Interviews and advises students regarding information, procedures and academic
requirements of a specific program or major. Assists students in exploring careers,
evaluating academic abilities, and setting goals. Prepares advising materials such as student
information, advising guides and recruitment materials. Presents academic information to
orientation groups and potential students and parents.
JANET REYES SILVA PAGE 8
Examples of Duties:
Assesses the student's stage of development (academic, career, and personal) and promotes
student growth by determining suitable developmental tasks; assists student in establishing
realistic and attainable academic and career goals.
Advises students on academic, career and personal issues; identifies the educational and
career options appropriate for each student and assists with the analysis of each option,
including possible outcomes and their implication