20170607 Better Biomass Day - Updates certification system
Post on 29-Jan-2018
- 1. Better Biomass scheme updates Demonstrating sustainability of biomass in bioenergy and bio-based products Jarno Dakhorst (NEN) Better Biomass Day | ENECO, Rotterdam (NL) | 7 June 2017
- 2. Overview Better Biomass certification system Better Biomass sustainability requirements Better Biomass chain-of-custody requirements Better Biomass certification roadmap Outline
- 3. Overview Better Biomass certification system
- 4. Producer Processor End-user LOGISTICS Trader PROCESSINGORIGIN VALORIZATION Producers of primary biomass (e.g. energy crops, short-rotation timber) Collectors of residual flows (e.g. agricultural residues, sawdust, timber residues, recycled materials, used cooking oil, waste gases) Producers of semi- finished products or fuels (e.g. FAME, bioethanol, pure vegetable oil, wood pellets, wood chips, biogas, syngas, biopolymers) Users of biomass for application in bioenergy and bio- based products (e.g. biofuel, blended fuel for transportation, power, heat, steam, feeding into gas network, chemicals, products made from biopolymers) Organizations with legal ownership [without processing] (e.g. traders, storage companies, transporters) LOGISTICS Trader Organizations with legal ownership [without processing] (e.g. traders, storage companies, transporters) Better Biomass field of application
- 5. Better Biomass is accepted by Dutch accreditation council (RvA) Better Biomass designed to meet requirements of: Renewable Energy Directive incl. amendments based on ILUC Directive (under reassessment) Dutch Energy Accord for co-firing (to be assessed when possible) Better Biomass is recognized under Green Deal Green certificates for bio-based products Better Biomass is aligned with European and international standards wherever possible Some characteristics
- 6. Better Biomass system documentation (1)
- 7. NTA 8080-1:2015, Sustainably produced biomass for bioenergy and bio-based products Part 1: Sustainability requirements NTA 8080-2:2015, Sustainably produced biomass for bioenergy and bio-based products Part 2: Chain-of- custody requirements Better Biomass certification scheme (administered as NCS 8080:2017-04) Interpretation document N 1 NEN scheme management manual Better Biomass system documentation (2)
- 8. Better Biomass certification for non-RED biomass based on NTA 8080:2015 and NCS 8080:2017-04 (i.e. solid and gaseous biomass for bioenergy and biomass for bio-based products) Better Biomass certification for RED biomass based on NTA 8080:2009 and NTA 8081:2012-04 pending recognition updated Better Biomass certification system (i.e. biofuels and bioliquids for bioenergy) Information in this presentation is based on updated Better Biomass certification system Two versions operational
- 9. Better Biomass sustainability requirements
- 10. Greenhouse gas emissions Competition with local applications Biodiversity The environment Prosperity Wellbeing Sustainability aspects
- 11. New developments taken into account: Carbon debt Cascading of biomass ILUC (indirect land-use change) Improvements in criteria setting: Biodiversity Socio-economic criteria Continual improvement Whats new or improved?
- 12. GHG emission savings Land use change Wetlands Continuously forested areas and other forests Peatland Excluding use that creates carbon debt Greenhouse gas emissions
- 13. Local prices Efficient use of raw materials (biomass cascading) ILUC low risk [optional] Competition with local applications
- 14. Land use change Primary forest and other wooded land Nature protection areas Highly biodiverse grassland Creating set-aside areas Restoring, preserving and strengthening biodiversity Biodiversity
- 15. Soil quality Ground and surface water quality Water sources and use Air quality Waste management The environment
- 16. Contributing to local economy Recruiting amongst local population Contracting local suppliers Prosperity
- 17. Labour rights Working conditions Responsible contact with (local) stakeholders Land-use rights Contributing to wellbeing local population Integrity of company Wellbeing
- 18. Applicability of sustainability requirements depends on activities and position in supply chain Special regime for residual flows (lower risk) Most requirements for biomass producers Applicability of sustainability aspects
- 19. Better Biomass chain-of-custody requirements
- 20. Biomass production Fossil raw material production v Mineral raw material production v Primary production of bio- based product Process- ing Final production of bio- based product End consumer [Source: EN 16751:2016] Supply chains can be complex, e.g. for bio-based products Supply chain
- 21. Biomass production Fossil raw material production v Mineral raw material production v Primary production of bio- based product Process- ing Final production of bio- based product End consumer Sustainable sourcing of biomass requires traceability E.g. sustainability and bio-based content Chain of custody
- 22. Mass balance approach Chain-of-custody requirements apply to entire supply chain Mass balance to ensure robust sustainability claims
- 23. Better Biomass certification roadmap
- 24. Organization implements NTA 8080 requirements in its operations Organization carries out self assessment to verify compliance with NTA 8080 Organization contracts one of associated certification bodies Certification body carries out initial audit phase 1 (document review) Certification body carries out initial audit phase 2 (on-site visit) Organization becomes a Better Biomass member Certification body grants Better Biomass certificate (if no majors) Organization is added to Better Biomass certification register Organization maintains certificate via surveillance audits and recertification Roadmap to Better Biomass certification
- 25. Better Biomass website contains: Background information (based on Bibliography): Standards Legislation Tools and databases: GHG calculations Biodiversity Soil System plans self assessment tools (new version expected in summer) Tools to support certification process Reports and other documentation Water Wellbeing
- 26. Thank you for your attention! www.betterbiomass.com To bee or not to bee Do you have any question?
View more >
System Basics for the certification of sustainable biomass ... 201 System Basics System Basics for the certification of sustainable biomass and bioenergy ISCC 11-03-15 V 2.3-EU
Duo-Pak Delivery System Updates Delivery System Updates ... Duo-Pak delivery systems will feature updates and improvements to help provide better adhesive delivery and results.
MFR Reconciliation Project AND FY2015 Fiscal Management Sub-Certification/ Management Certification Updates.
CHB - Harmonized System Updates Harmonized System ITEC System CHB - Harmonized System Updates Harmonized System Updates In-Brief This chapter describes how to download updates to