Upload: 911-document-archive

Post on 30-May-2018

Category:

Documents

0 download

TRANSCRIPT

• 8/14/2019 T1 B27 Miscellaneous Fdr- Email- Memo- Withdrawal Notice 669

1/4

W I T H D R A W A L N O T I C ERG : 148Box: 00010 Folder: 0027 Document: 17Series: Team 1 FilesCopies: 1 Pages: 1

ACCESS RESTRICTEDThe item identified below has been withdrawn from this file:

Folder Title: MiscellaneousDocument Date: 07-09-2003Document Type: Handwritten NotesFrom:To:

Subject: Notes re: document requests

In the review of this file this item was removed because access to it isrestricted. Restrictions on records in the National Archives are stated ingeneral and specific record group restriction statements which are availablefo r examination.

NND:281Withdrawn: 04-23-2008 by:RETRIEVAL #: 281 00010 0027 17

2/4

Mail:: INBOX: Fwd: progress Page 1 of 2

INBOX Compose Folders Options Search Problem? Help Addressbook Tasks Memos Calendar Logout Open Folder30.59MB / 476.84MB (6.41 %)

INBOX: Fwd: progress (4 of 471) a M o v e i cop y [rNsjiniessage^tc^Delete I Reply I Reply to All I Forward I Redirect I Blacklist I Message Source I Resume I Save as I Print Back to INBOX ^

Date: Tue, 1Jul 2003 16:37:41 -0400From: "" 4F'To: "" 4P

Subject: Fwd: progress

Forwarded message from " " Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 16:36:16 -0400From: " "

Reply-To: " " Subject: progress

To: " "

Re team 1 progress with documentary materials and interviews:This is offered as an overview, not a comprehensive detailed ^account. Dieterwill be sending you an additional note re wome efforts he has underway with DoJcomponents. Allowing for that:Our document requests so far have focused on (albeit are not confined t p _ l _ _ J a ) ^detailed reports of the information obtained from detainees; (b) CIA (and FBIdocuments provided to the Joint Inquiry, listing first those that appearec(from the index which is less than fully informative) to merit priority; (c)FBI documents relating to the New York and other terrorism trials, as well asdebriefings and post arrest statements; (d) CIA assessments applying the latestinformation to assess earlier terrorist actions; (e) a request, in connectionwith a Team 4 request, for FTO designation recordes.To date, we have received substantial segments under (b). Both/'the FBI^andJ CIAhave made special efforts to make these materials available, incldelivering then in a "rolling installment" fashion that enables us to begin ourresearch_without having to await the complete collection. CIA has applied thesame "rolling^appr a lT~tc Ti(cl\h has been particularly useful in offeringnew insights. Moreover, CIA~nas delivered to us two traunches of documentswithout any request other than the discussion during the DCI RG briefingof "otehr materials that could be of use to the commission.So far, we have not received materials described in (a), (c) and (e) (you mightwant to confirm query Team 4 about (e).) It goes without saying that thesematerials and others in various requests (and some more being"prepared as wespeak) will be essential to completing our project. That said, while responsesto some of the document requests may be formally overdue, that has so far hadno practical effect in our ability to proceed with our work. The amount ofmaterials we have obtained so far demands heavy lifting.Re interviews: So far we have sought mainly briefs and informal discussionsdesigned mainly to help us point our research efforts. Our work enthic is tofirst learn as much as we can so that when and if interviews are necessary wecan employ them most efficiently. Again, our experience so far has been thatCIA and FBI have been very receptive to this and helpful in tipping us on where

http://kinesis. swishm ail.com/webm ail/imp/mes sage.php ?index=475 7/2/03

3/4

Tai l : : INBOX: Fwd: progress Page 2 of 2

to search for information.End forwarded message

Delete I Reply I Reply to All I Forward I Redirect I Blacklist I Message Source I Resume I Save as I Print Back to INBOXMove ICopy[j rnessage to

http://kinesis.swishmail.com/webmail/imp/message.php?index=475 7/2/03

4/4

Team 1A Progress Report on Agencies' Compliance with Briefingand Document RequestsMost of Team 1 A's briefing an d docum ent requests thus far have been sub mitted to theFBI, which following its promising start of making available facilities at Headquarterswhere we can review the documents it provided to the Joint Inquiry - has failed to makeany further production responsive to our documen t requests. The Bureau has, of course,provided the Commission an d Staff with extensive briefings on Pentbom an d DSM. Inaddition, on June 12, we received an index of the documents the FBI provided to the JI;the index has been installed on the Classified S hare Drive at K Street. The Bu reau 'sfailure to meet request deadlines appears to be due main ly to difficulty coordinating withDOJ and the Moussaoui trial team. I understand from a conversation just n ow w ith thePO C that an agreement has been negotiated between the Commission and DOJ toaccommodate concerns arising out of the protective orders and local court rulesrestricting disclosure of materials relating to the Moussaoui case. Once the agreement issigned, the Bureau will be able to produce an initial installment of documents from thePentbom file in electronic for mat, using Concordance software.Document Requests:Classified requests for detainee m aterials were subm itted Ju ne 4 an d 6 to the DCI (Nos. 3& 4), FBI (Nos. 2 & 3), and DOD (No. 3). Production was due on June 18 and June 20,and has not yet begun.FB I Document Request No. 7 (issued jointly with Team 7) was submitted on June 19;production (which is not due until July 3) has not begun.DOJ Request No. 1 was subm itted on Jun e 17. The request seeks documents and exhibitsrelated to the prior al Qaeda-related terrorism trials conducted in the Southern District ofNew York. To date, the POC has not responded to my inquiry regarding the status of theproduction. Production (due July 1) has n ot begun, even though some of the material(e.g., lists of trial exhibits) could be produced with a minimum of effort.Briefings:To this poin t, Team 1A has made no formal briefing request.