scheduling for success graduation requirements - orange county scheduling for success graduation...
Post on 28-May-2020
Embed Size (px)
Jones High School Scheduling for Success
Curriculum Celebration: Jan. 22 @ 6pm
9th–12th A-D: Mrs. Wells-Harris 9th-12th E-J: Mrs. Campbell 9th-12th K-Q: Ms. Gordon 9th-12th R-Z: Mrs. T Jones
Safe Coordinator: Ms. Knauth Social Worker: Ms. Kaissar
Medical Magnet & IB programs
Medical Magnet Coordinator: Mrs. Wells-Harris
IB coordinator: Mrs. Brown
Applications due Feb. 15 go to www.ocps.net > School Choice
Magnet Fair: January 22; 6-8pm
CTE: Career Technical Education
Mr. Tarantur: CTE Coordinator
Engineering Culinary Arts Agriculture Video Productions
Off campus Dual Enrollment: 11th & 12th grade
Find out more... Curriculum Night: Jan. 22 @ 6pm
Performing Arts- Marching Band, Chorus Fine Arts- Art Club Athletics Student Government Association (SGA) Yearbook National Honor Society (NHS) & Beta Club Future Farmers of America (FFA) Science Club Engineering Club…. and so much more!
High School Graduation Requirements
• • •
Ok, what classes are needed to graduate from high school?
Math • Algebra 1 • Geometry
• Math • Math
Science • Chemistry
• Biology • Science
Social Studies • World History
• United States History • United States Government
• Economics * HOPE
Fine, Performing or Practical Arts (Art, Music, Drama, Dance, Speech)
Online Course Other Electives
Credits Needed 4 4 (1) (1) (1) (1) 3 (1) (1) (1) 3 (1) (1) (.5) (.5) 1 1
*HOPE Waiver = 2yrs ROTC
Do I need to pass an EOC? What score do I need to pass EOC Assessments ?
1. Algebra 1 (489) Level 3 2. Geometry (396) 30% of final grade 3. Biology (395) 30% of final grade 4. United States History (397) 30% final grade
I thought we were done with Testing!
• FSA -Florida Standards Assessment that you must pass in 10th grade as a graduation requirement.
• Also, your scores on FSA are a MAJOR FACTOR in determining which classes you get to take the following year. If you do poorly on the FSA, your chances of taking AP or honors class are not going to be very good. In addition, you are required to take an Intensive Reading class.
What is a GPA and why is it important?
• GPA stands for Grade Point Average • To graduate, play sports, and/or
participate in any extra-curricular activities, you must have at least a 2.0 un-weighted GPA.
• Most magnet programs require you to maintain a 3.0 GPA to stay in the program.
Each letter grade you get is assigned a point value:
A = 4 B = 3 C = 2 D = 1 F = 0
To figure out your GPA, you add the point value for each grade and divide by the total numbers of classes you are taking.
A = 4 D = 1 B = 3 17/7= 2.43 F = 0 B = 3 A = 4 +C = 2 17 This student’s GPA is 2.43 un-weighted.
What is a credit?
• Credits are the points you earn for passing a class. This is TOTALLY DIFFERENT from GPA.
• Every class you take is worth either .5 or 1 credit. – Classes that last the whole year (2 semesters or August
–June) are worth 1 credit. – Classes that last ½ the year (1 semester or August-January
OR January-June) are worth .5 credit.
So, what classes should I take as a Freshman?
All Freshmen should take the following: 1. English 1 (Regular or Honors) 2. Math (Regular or Honors) 3. Science (Regular or Honors) 4. Social Studies Elective 5. HOPE 6. Elective 1 7. Elective 2
Florida Virtual School and Orange County Virtual School
One On-line class required before graduation
Full year 1 credit or Semester .5 credit
• www.flvs.net/www.ocvs.ocps. net
• Own time • Conducted by full time online
teachers • Including regular, honors and
advanced placement courses • Classes are free for Florida students
Resources • College and Career Center (preparation for college;
test scores (PSAT,ACT/SAT), GPA, foreign language, etc.
• Tutoring (Speak with your individual teachers).
• Monitor grades through https//progressbook.ocps.net
• Request an appointment with your guidance counselor.
• STANDARD DIPLOMA (2.0 GPA, 24 Credits, PASSING of the FSA, AND EOC ASSESSMENTS).
• “NEW-” SCHOLAR DIPLOMA ( 1 CREDIT IN ALGEBRA 2, (passing EOC), 1 CREDIT IN STATISTICS OR EQUALLY RIGOROUS MATH COURSE, 1 CREDIT IN BIOLOGY (passing EOC), 1 CREDIT IN CHEMISTRY OR PHYSICS, PASSING EOC FOR U. S. HISTORY, 2 CREDITS IN THE SAME WORLD LANGUAGE (SPANISH/FRENCH) 1 CREDIT IN AP, ACIE, IB, or dual course.
• MERIT DIPLOMA ( ATTAIN 1 OR MORE INDUSTRY CERTIFICATIONS UNDER s. 1003.492, F.S.
• Colleges and Universities 2 years, 4 years • VOCATIONAL (Tech Centers or Vocational School) • WORKFORCE (Employment) • MILITARY (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines)
So, it sounds like I need to be…
• VERY ORGANIZED! • High school is much easier for students
who know how to use time wisely and are organized.
• Remember – high school is a new beginning – start off right and success will be yours!
FOOD FOR THOUGHT
There is no traffic on the extra mile Push yourself to the max
Work hard now so you can play hard later
Your Attitude determines your Altitude
Begin with the End in Mind