Post on 20-Jun-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONMost students have alternative conceptions in science. Usually, they get misconceptions from adults and other sources such as media. As a teacher, we play an important role as filters. We have to use suitable way to elicit their ideas and let them know the right science concepts. My group has done a task about alternative concept about clouds and rain formation.
- 1. ENTER TBC 3013 ********* LECTURER : ASSOC PROF DR SOPIA MD YASSIN ALTERNATIVE CONCEPTIONSUSER NAME :PASSWORD :
2. GROUP MEMBERS D20091034840 PUI WAN TING NAME MATRIC NO. WONG SIEW CHING D20091034815 MARIA TING MEE SING D20081032208 UMI ABIBAH BT SULAIMAN D20091034811 SITI RAHAYU BT MOHAMED NOOR D20091034855 3. ARTICLE
- Mistaken Beliefs About Where Clouds Come From and Why It Rains
- David R. Wetzel
4. SCIENTIFIC EXPLANATION FOR CLOUD FORMATION
- Cloud formation is dependent upon the amount of water evaporating and condensing. Water molecules are continually changing state between solid, liquid and gas. When more molecules evaporate into the atmosphere than condense on earth, clouds can form.
- Cloud formation video
- by using experiment
- Experiment about cloud formation:
- Children are asked to place a lit match in a jar with water and close the lid.
- The match goes out and produces smoke.
- Children are told this is example of how clouds are formed
- This is why children have alternative concept that clouds are smoke.
Technique to Elicit Childrens Ideas about Cloud Formation 6. Other Alternative Concepts About Clouds
- Clouds are sponges that hold water.
- Clouds are water vapor.
- Clouds go to the sea and get filled with water.
- Clouds are formed by vapor from kettles
- Clouds are made of cotton and wool
7. SCIENTIFIC EXPLAINATION FOR RAIN FORMATION
- Rain occurs when the water droplets are sufficiently heavy to remain airborne they fall from the clouds.
- Water and rain cycle video
- by using experiment
- Experiment about rain formation:
- The hot water is boiled in the kettle.
- A large pan filled with ice is placed above the kettle.
- When the hot water in the kettle boiled, it produce steam.
- The steam condense after reaching the cold pan and become water droplets.
- They fall when children shake the pan.
- This is why children have alternative concepts that rain comes from clouds sweating or rain occurs when clouds are shaken.
Technique to Elicit Childrens Ideas about Rain Formation 9. OTHER ALTERNATIVE CONCEPTS ABOUT RAIN
- Rain occurs because we need it.
- Rain comes from holes in clouds.
- Rain occurs when clouds collide.
- Rain is called by frogs.
- The weather is so hot.
- Cloud is crying.
- Rain dance to call rain.
- Cloud Formation.Retrieve on 10 August fromhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoHCMGBgIFQ
- David R. Wetzel(2008).Children's Science Misconceptions About Weather.Retrieve on 7 August fromhttp://homeschooling.suite101.com/article.cfm/childrens_science_misconceptions
- Water and Rain Cycle.Retrieve on 7 August fromhttp:// www.youtube.com/watch?v = szXCuHOmnjg
11. THANK YOU!!!!