5 top packaging trends in 2014
out of 10
Post on 08-Sep-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONWhere does the greatest potential lie for packaging? As I scan industry magazines, news articles and blogs, there seems to be 5 main trends. These 5 consumer trends are opportunities for packaging over the course of this year and beyond.
- 5 Top Packaging Trends in 2014
- Where does the greatest potential lie for packaging? As I scan industry magazines, news articles and blogs, there seems to be 5 main trends. These 5 consumer trends are opportunities for packaging over the course of this year and beyond.
- As consumers become more health-conscious and warnings on products from infant formula to hamburger pop into the news, there's increasing demand to know the origin of products. Today's value chains often obscure the connection between food products and their origins. Packaging provides an opportunity to provide information about location and traceability. It's a way to re-establish connection betweent the consumer and the food brand. More than ever, products are including provenance in their marketing to communicate premium quality, authenticity and unique taste. 1. Authenticity andTraceability
- Sustainability has been an important consideration for consumers for a long time, but now it has a few twists. Now consumers are holding companies to a higher standard. Consumers often expect green characteristics to be part of the manufacturing of products-- but they are less willing to pay a premium for that. As transparency is demanded in the marketplace, consumers assume that companies will be green. They have become more skeptical about company claims and want proof that the product delivers in the way it says. 2. Sustainability
- A great example of a company using this to its advantage is the Method company with their Ocean Plastic packaging. The plastic used in the manufacturing of the package is harvested by Method employees from ocean beaches. To showcase this, Method's bottles are dark gray in color, due to the color of post-consumer recycled plastic and it's uniquely gray resin color. This provides proof to the consumers that Method indeed incorporates "green" into their production. 2. Sustainability
- The shopping market, comprised of both shoppers and shops, has witnessed dramatic changes in recent years. In SymphonyIRI's Time and Trends, they suggest that shopping behavior has shifted due to economic situations. Consumers appear to be purchasing "just in time" instead of stocking up like they used to. Smaller, easier-to-carry packs at a smaller price are growing in popularity in both the US and Europe. 3. Budgeting
- While packaging obviously serves to contain a product, one of the other main jobs of packaging is branding. Packaging gives a space for marketers and retailers to create a tone, essence and messaging about the brand. It can feature a trial offer, demonstrate value and help customers to express themselves. Last year, limited-edition and exclusive packs increased in Japan, Germany, UK, France and the US. These 5 markets carry 68% of exclusive/limited-edition products. 4. Branding
- Examples include last year's 100th Anniversary Oreo birthday packages; retro packaging from brands like Doritos, Pepsi and Coke; limited-edition flavors of products like almonds, Pop-Tarts, and Hershey's Kisses; and seasonal or holiday packaign like products featuring the winter Olympics. 4. Branding
- Again, as mentioned above, health and wellness is a rapidly increasing concern for consumers. More than ever, shoppers are looking for specific information or clues on packaging to indicate that they are purchasing the right product for their needs. Labeling packages with key ingredients or benefits makes it easier for consumers to find what they need. Featuring added vitamins, or "organic" or "gluten free" can gain huge traction with consumers. Examples include gluten-free cake mixes or Danone's Activia yogurt with prebiotic fibers. 5.Wellness
- In conclusion, these 5 trends represent the changes taking place in our marketplace.These reflect what's already happening rather than predictions of what's to come.With more claims than ever vying for attention on the shelf, creating packaging with easy-to-understand benefits can be a great aid to shoppers. Packaging has always been a vehicle for marketing and media. Now, with technology, innovation and changing consumer behaviors, there's huge potential for packaging to leverage these trends.
View more >
Product Packaging 1. Contents Functions of Packaging Types of Packaging Packaging Considerations Packaging Trends Labelling
Top News in PLASTICS AND PACKAGING - Quarterly – Plastics Packaging PMCF 3 Global Plastic Packaging MA Trends in MA: • Packaging transactions fell year over year, despite higher plastics and packaging transaction volume overall, declining by 19 trans-
Future Trends in Packaging Materials Future Trends ... Future Trends in Packaging Materials Cellulose
Flexible Packaging Symposium 2009 - Trends & in Packaging • Package design and packaging lines will…