t3 b3 interviews 2 of 2 fdr- tab d-w entire contents- interview request letters (w withdrawal...

Upload: 911-document-archive

Post on 30-May-2018

Category:

Documents

0 download

TRANSCRIPT

• 8/14/2019 T3 B3 Interviews 2 of 2 Fdr- Tab D-W Entire Contents- Interview Request Letters (w Withdrawal Notices)

1/78

H. K ean

e H . H a m i lt o nC H A I Richard Ben-Venis teax Cleland

F. FieldingS. GorelickGorton

F. L ehm anR oemer

R . Thompson

ZelikowD I R E C T O R

November 17,2003

Ms. Mary DeR osaSenior FellowC enter for Strategic & International StudiesSuite 4001800 K Street, NWW ashington, DC 20006Dear Ms. DeRosa:The National C omm ission on Terrorist A ttacks U pon the U nited States isdirected by statute to investigate the facts and circumstances surrounding theSeptember 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, including the nation's preparedness for,and im med iate response to, those attacks, as well as to evaluate the lessonslearned from those attacks and to make recommendations for preventingfuture attacks. A s part of its investigation, the C om mission hereby requests tointerview you on issues relating to the following topics:

How the C linton adm inistration responded to the terrorist threat ingeneral, and the al Q aeda threat in particular, during your tenure at theNSC . H ow important was the use of law enforcement instruments inthe overall strategy?

The role of the NSC legal advisor's office in fashioningcounterterrorism strategy, and the interaction between the NSC legaladvisor's office and the Transnational Threat D irectorate at the N SC .

Your recollection of anyPrincipals' and/or Deputies' C omm itteeMeetings you attende d on the subject of the al Q aeda threat,particularly those held in the aftermath of the October 2000 attack onthe U.S.S. Cole, that considered the U nited States Governmentresponse to that attack. A review of legal authorities forconducting operations against Usamabin Laden and senior al Q aeda leadership from 1998 until yourdeparture from the N S C .

th Street SW, Suite 5125DC 20407

202.331.4060 F 202.296.554526 Federal PlazaSuite 13-100New York, NY 10278T 212.264.1505 F 212.264-1595

• 8/14/2019 T3 B3 Interviews 2 of 2 Fdr- Tab D-W Entire Contents- Interview Request Letters (w Withdrawal Notices)

2/78

M s. Mary DeRosaNovember 17 , 2003Page 2

The Com mission does anticipate that classified information will be discussedat this interview.Alexis Albion, Professional Staff Member to the Comm ission, will make thearrangements for your interview. The Comm ission would like to conduct yourinterview some time in the second half of November in Washington, DC, ifpossible. Several mem bers of the Commission's staff will attend yourinterview, and the general policy of the Comm ission is to tape recordinterviews. Please call Alexis Albion at 202-331-4081 as soon as possible todiscuss the time and location of your interview, and to raise any otherquestions you m ay have.Thank you very much in advance for your time and for your cooperation withthe Commission and its staff in this important matter.Sincerely,

Philip ZelikowExecutive Director

3/78

WITHDRAWAL NOTICERG: 148 Exposition, Anniversary, and Mem orial Comm issionsSERIES: Team 3, 9/11 Comm ission

NN D PROJECT NUM BER: 52100 FOIA CASE NUM BER: 31107WITHDRAWAL DATE: 11/20/2008

BOX: 00001 FOLDER: 0001 TAB: 76 DOC ID: 31206583COPIES: 1 PAGES: 1

AC^ESS^RESTRICTEDThe item identified below has been withdraw n from this file:

FOLDER TITLE: Interviews [2of2]DOCUMENT DATE: 10/17/2003 DOC UM ENT TYPE: LetterFROM: ZelikowTO: McElligottSUBJECT: Interview request

This document has been withdrawn for the follow ing reason(s):9/11 Personal Privacy

WITHDRAWAL NOTICE

4/78

' 6 0107^

H. Kean

ee H. Hamilton

ichard Ben-Venisteax Cleland

F. LehmanJ. Roemer

R . Thompson

D . ZetikowD I R E C T O R

October 22, 2003

The Honorable Wyche Fowler Jr.Chairman of the BoardThe Middle East Institute176 I N Street, NWWashington, DC 20036-2882Dear A mbassador Fowler:The National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States isdirected by statute to investigate the facts and circumstances surrounding theSeptember 11,2001 terrorist attacks, including the nation's preparedness for,and imm ediate response to, those attacks, as well as to evaluate the lessonslearned from those attacks and to mak e recomm endations for preventingfuture attacks. As part of its investigation, the Comm ission hereby requests tointerview you on U.S. relations with Saudi Arabia in general and on efforts togain Saudi support for counterterrorism measures in particular. TheComm ission does anticipate that classified inform ation will be discussed atthis interview.

Dan Byman, consultant to the Commission, will make the arrangements foryour interview. The Commission would like to conduct your interviewsometime in the first half of Novem ber in Washington, DC, if possible. Atleast two members of the Commission's staff will attend your interview, andthe general policy of the Commission is to tape record interviews. Please callDan Byman at 202-687-4095 if you have any questions about your interview.Thank you very much in advance for your time and for your cooperation withthe Commission and its staff in this important m atter.Sincerely,

30 1 7'1' Street SW, Room 5125Washington , DC 20407T 202.331.4060 F 202.296.5545www.9- l l commiss ion .gov

5/78

AONON?.

H. Kean

C H A I R

Ben-V enisteleland

F. FieldingS. Gorel ickGorton

F. LehmanJ . Roemer

R. Thompson

D I RE C T O R

October 30, 2003

The Honorable Charles W. FreemanPresidentThe Middle East Policy Council1730 M Street, NWSuite 512Washington, DC 20036-2882DearAmbassador Freeman:The National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States (betterknown as the 9-11 Commission) is directed by statute to prepare a full andcomplete account of the circumstances surround ing the September 11,2001terrorist attacks, including the nation's preparedness for, and immediate responseto, the attacks. The Comm ission is also chartered to identify and evaluate lessonslearned and prov ide recommendations to prevent future acts of terrorism upon ournation.Interviews with f orm er senior policym akers are essential to developing anauthoritative n arrative of the September 11, 2001 attacks. As the formerAmbassador to Saudi Arabia and as a leading expert on the M iddle East, yourperspective is vital to the Commission's collective understanding of 9-11, and weare therefore w riting to request an interview with you during the week ofNovember 17.The Commission wishes to discuss a wide range of topics with you, includ ing (butnot limited to) your description, analysis, and assessment of: Saudi counterterrorism cooperation bef ore and after September 11; Overall U.S. policy toward Saudi Arabia, including its coordination andoverall objectives; and Alleged and actual financing of terrorism by the Saudi regime, by individual

Saudis, and by Saudi-funded non-governmental organizations.You may wish to review notes and other materials you may have to refresh yourrecollection of these m atters prior to the interview.

301 7'1'Street SW, Room 5125Washington, DC 20407T 202.331.4060 F 202.296.5545www.9-1 lcommission.gov

6/78

s/ The Honorable Charles W. FreemanOctober 30, 2003Page 2

We are, of course, interested in any other issues you deem important to theCommission's understanding of 9-11 specifically and Saudi Arabia generally, aswell as your thoughts on policy recommendations for the future. TheComm ission anticipates that classified information will be discussed at thisprivate session, requiring that the interview take place at the Commission's 2100K Street location. Members of the Commission may attend, but the interview willbe conducted by Commission staff. It is the general policy of the Commission torecord interviews.Thisproposed interview is separate from your requested participation in a publichearing to be held in Washington, DC, on February 23 - 24, 2004. You willreceive a separate invitation to testify in the coming weeks, and we hope that youwill agree to appear before the Commission for this important public forum.Please have a member of your staff contact D aniel Byman at (202) 687-4095 toindicate your availability for such an interview and to relay any questions you oryour staff may have. Thank you in advance for your time and cooperation withthe Commission and its staff in this important matter.Sincerely,

7/78

H. Kean

ee H. Ham i l ton

Ben-Venisteax Cleland

F. L eh ma n

R . Thompson

D. Zelikow*^!TIVE D I R E C T O R

November 11,2003

M r. Leon FuerthThe Elliott School of International AffairsThe George Washington University1957 E Street, NWSuite 501Washington, DC 20052Dear Mr. Fuerth:The Na tional C omm ission o n Terrorist Attacks U pon the United States (betterknow n as the 9-11 C omm ission) is directed by statute to prepare a full andcomplete account of the circumstances surrounding the September 11, 2001terrorist attacks, including the nation's preparedness for, and imm ediate responseto, the attacks. The C omm ission is also chartered to identify and evaluate lessonslearned and provide recomm endations to prevent future acts of terrorism upon o urnation.Interviews with former senior po licymakers are essential to developing anauthoritative narrative of the September 11, 2001attacks. A s former NationalSecurity A dvisor to V ice President Gore, your perspective is vital to theCommission's collective understanding of 9-11, and w e are therefore w riting torequest an interview w ith you during the w eek of December 1, 2003.The C omm ission w ishes to discuss a w ide range of topics w ith you,including (butnot limited to) your description, analysis, and assessment of: How C linton adm inistration principals regarded and responded to the al Qaedathreat, from January 1, 1996, to January 20, 2001. The role and views of the Office of the Vice President on counterterrorismpolicy during the C linton ad ministration.

Your recollection of Principals' andDeputies' Committee meetings in whichal Qaeda and Usama bin Laden were on the agenda from January 1, 1996, toJanuary 20, 2001.

th Street SW, Suite 5125

202.331.4060 F 202.296.5545lcommission.gov

26 Federal PlazaSuite 13400New York, NY 10278T 212.264.1505 F 212.264.1595

8/78

-Mr. Leon FuerthNovember 11,2003Page 2

The Clinton administration's approach to Sudan, and how al Qaeda andspecifically Usama bin Laden factored into that policy. How the Clinton administration reacted to alleged overtures from theGovernment of Sudan to expel Usam a bin Laden and al Qaeda members, aswell as Sudan's alleged offers to share al Qaeda-related intelligence with theUnited States. Responses to the 1998 East Africa Embassy bombings, including optionswhich were considered by the principals but not implemented. Options for operations under special authorities and related to Usama binLaden and al Qaeda which were considered by the Principals' Com mittee

from January 1, 1998, to January 20, 2001. The Clinton administration's approach to Afghanistan, and efforts to influencethe Taliban to eliminate the al Qaeda presence in that coun try. The Clinton administration's response to the Millennium plots. Options considered in response to the attack on the U.S.S. Cole. The handling of counterterrorism issues during the Clinton-Bush transitionperiod, including a detailed discussion of briefings given andrecommendations offered.You m ay wish to review notes and other materials you may have to refresh yourrecollection of these matters prior to the interview.We are, of course, interested in any other issues you deem important to theCom mission's understanding of 9-11 specifically and counterterrorism policygenerally, as well as your thoughts on policy recommendations for the future.The C omm ission anticipates that classified information will be discussed at thisprivate session, requiring that the interview take place at the Comm ission's 2100K Street, NW , location. Mem bers of the Comm ission m ay attend, but theinterview w ill be conducted by C omm ission staff. It is the general policy of theCommission to record interviews.

9/78

M r. Leon FuerthNovember 11,2003Page3

Please have a member of your staff contact Marquittia Coleman at (202) 296-5528 to indicate your availability for such an interview and to relay any questionsyou or your staff may have. Thank you in advance for your time and cooperationwith the Com mission and its staff in this important matter.

Yours sincerely,

Thomas H. KeanChair Lee H. HamiltonVice Chair

10/78

11/78

Mr. Leon FuerthNovember 4, 2003Page 2

policy of the Com mission is to tape record interviews. Please call MikeHurley at 202-331-4077 as soon as possible to discuss the time and location ofyour interview, and to raise any other questions you may have.Thank you very much in advance for your time and for your cooperation withthe Commission and its staff in this important matter.Sincerely,

12/78

-19-2003 16:10 E S I ft F f l C L T Y O F F I C E S P.01

T H E G E OR G E W A S H IN G T ON U N IV ER S IT YW A S H I N G T O N D C

FAX.. .11/16/03To: Ms. Marquittia ColemanFax: 202-296-5545From: Jillian Hayes for Leon FuerthTel: 202-994-4543-

Fax: 202-994-5477Re: 9/11 Commission interview request

Dear Ms. Coleman:A ttached, please f ind Leon Fuerth's reply to the letter he received on November 10requesting an interview for the 9/11 Commission. I will be in touch with you to arrangea time for the interview.Many thanks,Jillian HayesA ssistant to Leon FuerthPhone: 202-994-4543E-mail: [email protected]

13/78

>19-2003 16:10 ESIfl FflCLTY OFFICES P.02

T H E G E O R G E W A S H IN G T O N U N IV E R S IT YW A S H I N G T O N D C

T o: Marquittia ColemanFrom: Leon FuerthR e: 9/11 Commission interview requestDate: N ovember 14, 2003

I am certainly read y to help in any way possible, and my assistant, Ms. Jillian H ayes, willbe contacting you to set a time. For now, let me note a few things. First your fax to meincluded a message intended for W alt Slocombe -- you may w ant to be sure that hisoffice actually received a copy. S econd, 1 hav e no notes or any other materials from m yservice in the W hite H ouse. A nything of that nature was archived as required by law.Moreover, it was not my habit to make such records. A s needed, I would debrief tomembers of my staff, and much of my advice to the Vice President was also oral, oftendelivered as a personal gloss to briefing memoranda prepared by staff. I'll do the best Ican. Y ou would almost do better, I suspect, if you c ould get a group of us together to poolrecollections. A nd if this is not a deposition or swom testimony, yo u might consider thattechnique as a good way to reconstruct events.

TOTfiL P.02

14/78

H. Kean

HamiltonC H A I R

ichard Ben-Venisteax Cleland

F. FieldingS. GorelickGortonF. Lehman

J. RoemerR . Thompson

D. Zelikow

October 20, 2003

Professor F. G regory CauseDepartment of Political ScienceUniversity of Vermont94 University PlaceBurlington, VT 05405Dear Professor Gause:The National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States isdirected by statute to investigate the facts and circumstances surrounding theSeptember 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, including the nation's preparedness for,and im mediate response to, those attacks, as well as to evaluate the lessonslearned from those attacks and to make recommendations for preventingfuture attacks. As part of its investigation, the C omm ission hereby requests tointerview you on U.S. -Saudi relations and on Saudi support for radicalcauses. The Com mission does anticipate that classified information will bediscussed at this interview.Dan Byman, consultant to the Commission, will make the arrangements foryour interview. The Commission would like to conduct your interviewsometime in the second half of October. W e plan to conduct the interview bymeans of telephone, and the general policy of the Commission is to taperecord interviews. Please call Dan Bym an at 202-687-4095 if you have anyquestions about your interview.Thank you very much in advance for your time and for your cooperation withthe Commission and its staff in this important matter.Sincerely,

Philip ZelikoExecutive Director

301 7'1' Street SW, Room 5125Washing ton , DC 20407T 202.331.4060 F 202.296.5545www.9- l l commiss ion .gov

15/78

H. Kean

HamiltonC H A I R

ClelandF. FieldingS. GorelickGorton

F. LehmanJ. Roemer

R. Thompson

ip D. ZelikowJ T I V E D I R E C T O R

November 26, 2003

The H onorable Marc GrossmanUnder Secretary for Political AffairsU.S. D epartment of State2201 C Street, NWWashington, D C 20520Dear Ambassador Grossman:As you know, the National C ommission on Terrorist A ttacks Upo n the UnitedStates (better know n as the 9-11 C omm ission) is directed by statute to prepa rea full an d complete account of the circumstances surrounding the 9-11terrorist attacks, including the nation's preparedness for, and immediateresponse to, the attacks. The C ommission is also chartered to identify andevaluate lessons learned and provide recommendations to prevent future actsof terrorism upon ou r nation.Public Law 107-306 authorizes the C ommission to secure needed inform ationdirectly from any agency. Thus far, with the strong support of yourDepartment, the Commission has compiled an extensive written recordnumbering more than 2 million pages. Building on this record, meetings withsenior policymakers are essential to developing an authoritative narrative ofthe 9-11 attacks. Your perspective is vital to the C omm ission's understandingof 9-11 and its immediate aftermath, and we are therefore writing to requestan interview with yo u during the first half of January 2003.The C ommission wishes to discuss a wide range of topics w ith you, including(but no t limited to) your description, analysis, an d assessment of: H ow the 9-11 attacks affected nonimm igrant visa and foreign visitorpolicy; immigrant, refugee and asylee policy; and expectations fo r border-related controls, both domestically and internationally. Overall U SG efforts to combat terrorist organizations, especially al Qaeda.This includes the State Department's role, as well as your participation inrelevant interagency meetings. The State Department's counterterrorism policy before and immediatelyafter 9-11, with a particular emphasis on diplomatic instrumentsconsidered an d used to combat terrorism. This would include U.S .

1 7 th Street SW, Suite 5125DC 20407

202.331.4060 F 202.296.5545co m m issio n .w

26 Federal PlazaSuite 13-100New York, NY 10278

16/78

The H onorable Marc G rossmanNovember 26, 2003Page 2

pressure on Pakistan and the Taliban to address the al Qaeda presence inAfghanistan.

The State Department's diplomatic relations w ith other coun tries(especially Afg hanistan, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Sudan) in connectionwith counterterrorism. This would include your meetings andcommunications with officials from such countries in connection withcounterterrorism.

Your interaction with the Office of the Coordinator for Counterterrorism.You m ay wish to review notes and other documents to refresh yourrecollection of these matters prior to the interview.We are, of course, interested in any other issues you deem relevant to theCommission's understanding of 9-11 specifically and counterterrorism policygenerally, as well as your thoughts on policy recommendations for the future.Members of the Commission may attend, but the interview will be conducted byCommission staff. It is the general po licy of the Comm ission to recordinterviews.This proposed interview is separate from your requested participation in apublic hearing to be held in W ashington, D C, on January 27, 2004. Y ou willreceive a separate invitation to testify in the coming weeks, and w e hope thatyo u will agree to appear before the Commission for this important publicforum.Please have a member of your staff contact Scott Allan at (202) 331-4079 toindicate your availability for such an interview and to relay any questions youor your staff may have. Thank you in advance for your time and cooperationwith the Commission and its staff in this important matter.

Yours sincerely,

Thomas H. Kean Lee H. HamiltonChair Vice Chaircc: Daniel Levin, U.S. Department of JusticeKarl Hofmann, U.S. Department of State

17/78

WITHDRAWAL NOTICE

RG: 148 Exposition, Ann iversary, and Mem orial Com missionsSERIES: Team 3,9/11 CommissionN D PROJECT NUM BER: 52100 FOIA CASE NUM BER: 31107

WITHDRAWAL DATE: 11/20/2008

BOX: 00001 FOLD ER: 0001 TAB: 77 DOC ID: 31206584COPIES: 1 PAGES: 1

_ACCESS RESTRICTEDThe item identified below has been withdrawn from this file:

FOLDER TITLE: Interviews [2of2]DOCUMENT DA TE: 09/03/2003 DO CU ME NT TYPE: LetterFROM: ZelikowTO: HolmesSUBJECT: Interview request

This document has been withdrawn for the following reason(s):9/11 Personal Privacy

WITHDRAWAL NOTICE

18/78

H. Kean

H ami l tonC H A I R

i chard Ben-Venistex Cleland

F. LehmanJ. RoemerThompson

;vUp D. ZelikowJT I V E D I R E C TO R

October 27, 2003

The Honorable Karl F. InderfurthThe Elliott School of International AffairsGeorge Was hington University1957 E Street, NWSuite 501Washington, DC 20052Dear Ambassador Inderfurth:The National Commission onTerrorist Attacks Upon the United States (betterknown as the 9-11 Commission) is directed by statute to prepare a full andcomplete account of the circumstances surrounding the September 11,2001terrorist attacks, including the nation's preparedness for, and immed iate responseto, the attacks. The Commission is also chartered to identify and evaluate lessonslearned and provide recommendations to prevent fu ture acts of terrorism upon ournation.Interviews w ith former senior policymakers are essential to developing anauthoritative narrative of the September 11,2001 attacks. A s the former AssistantSecretary of State for South Asian Affairs, your perspective is vital to theCommiss ion's collective understanding of 9-11, and we are therefore writing torequest an interview w ith you during the week of December 15, 2003.The Commission wishes to discuss a wide range of topics with you, including (butnot limited to) your description, analysis, and assessment of: The United States Government's concerns regarding South Asia, from January1, 1998, through January 20, 2001. This includes, but is not limited to, theKashm iri conflict, nuclear proliferation.and regional terrorist groups. A fghanistan as a terrorist sanctuary, from January 1, 1998 through January 20,

2001. The United States Governm ent's relationship w ith the GovernmentofPakistan and the Taliban in connection with counterterrorism includingcounter terrorist finance, from January 1,1998, through January 20 , 2001.This w ould include diplom atic instruments considered and used in hopes ofachieving ou r objectives.

301 7'1' Street SW, Room 5125Washington, DC 20407T 202.331.4060 F 202.296.5545www.9 - l l commiss ion .gov

19/78

The Honorable Karl F. InderfurthOctober 27, 2003Page 2 The United States Governm ent's discussions with Taliban officials, from

January 1, 1998, through January 20, 2001. This would include yourdiscussions with Mu llahs Jallil, Mujahed, Rabbani, and Omar. The relationship between Usama bin Laden and the Taliban leadership, fromJanuary 1, 1998, throu gh January 20,2001. The United States Government's decision to launch cruise missiles againstAfghanistan in Au gust of 1998. The current approach to the region as it relates to counterterrorism.You may wish to review notes and other materials you may have to refresh you rrecollection of these m atters prior to the interview.We are, of course, interested in any other issues you deem important to theComm ission's und erstanding of 9-11 generally and Sou th Asia specifically, aswell as your thoughts on policy recommend ations for the future. TheCommission anticipates that classified inform ation will be d iscussed at thisprivate session, requiring tha t the interview t ake place at the Commission's 2100K St., NW, Washington, DC location. Members of the Commission may attend,bu t the interview w ill be condu cted by Comm ission staff. It is the general policyof the Commission to record interviews.This proposed interview is separate from your requested participation in a pu blichearing to be held in Washington, DC, on February 23 , 2004. You will receive aseparate invitation to testify in the coming weeks, and w e hope that you will agreeto appear before th e Commission fo r this important public forum.Please have a member of your staff contact Scott Allan at (202) 331-4079 toindicate your availability for such an interview and to relay any questions you oryour staff may have. Thank you in advance for your time and cooperation w ithth e Commission and its staff in this important matter.Sincerely,

20/78

H. Kean

H. HamiltonCHA I R

Ben-VenisteCleland

J. RoemerR . Thompson

D I R E C T O R

V I A F AX & MA I LOctober 20, 2003

Mr. Musawer Mansoor IjazThe C rescent Group100 U nited N ations Plaza44th FloorNew York, NY 10017Dear Mr. Ijaz:T he National C ommission on T errorist Attacks U pon the U nited States isdirected by statute to investigate the facts an d circumstances surrounding theSeptember 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, including the nation's preparedness for,and immediate response to, those attacks, as well as to evaluate the lessonslearned from those attacks and to make recommendations fo r preventingfuture attacks. As part of its investigation, the C omm ission hereby requests tointerview you, under oath, on issues relating to the following general topics:your discussions w ith the U .S. and Sudanese governments on improvingrelations between the two countries and offers by the Sudanese government toshare terrorist related intelligence w ith the U .S. Government.Scott Allan, counsel to the C ommission, will m ake the arrangements fo r yourinterview. T he C omm ission would like to conduct your interview som etimeduring the last week of O ctober in Washington, D C , if possible. At least twomembers of the C omm ission's staff will attend your interview, and the generalpolicy of the C ommission is to tape record interviews. Please call Scott Allanat 202-331-4079 as soon as possible to discuss the time and location of yourinterview, and to raise any other questions you may have.Thank yo u very much in advance fo r your time and for your cooperation withthe C ommission and its staff in this important matter.Sincerely,

Philip ZelikowExecutive Director30 1 7' h Street SW, Room 5125W as hi n g t o n , D C 2 04 07T 202.331.4060 F 202.296.5545www.9- l lcommiss ion.gov

21/78

/ M r

H. Kean

H. Hamilton

Ben-VenisteCleland

F. LehmanJ . Roemer

R . Thompson

D. Zelikow>'VE D I R E C T O R

August 18, 2003Dr. Martin S. IndykDirectorSaban Center for Middle East PolicyThe Brookings Institution1775 Massachusetts Avenue, NWWashington, DC 20036Dear Dr. Indyk:The National Commission on Terrorist A ttacks U pon the United S tates isdirected by statute to investigate the facts and circumstances surrounding theSeptember 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, including the nation's preparedness for,and immediate response to, those attacks, as well as to evaluate the lessonslearned from those attacks and to make recommendations for preventingfuture attacks. As part of its investigation, the Commission hereby requests tointerview you on issues relating to the following general topics: Clintonadministration diplomacy in the Midd le East, and U.S. counterterrorism policysince 1998.

Dan Byman, consultant to the Comm ission, will make the arrangements foryour interview. The Commission would like to conduct you r interviewsometime in the first half of September in Washington, DC, if possible. Atleast two members of the Comm ission's staff will attend your interview, andthe general policy of the Commission is to tape record interviews. Pleasecontact Dan Byman at [email protected] as soon as possible to^discussthe time and location of your interview, and to raise any other questions youmay have.Thank you very much in advance for your time and for your cooperation withthe Commission and its staff in this important matter.Sincerely,

Philip ZelikowExecutive Director301 7 lh Street SW, Room 5125Washington, DC 20407T 202.331.4060 F 202.296.5545www.9-l lcommission .gov

22/78

WITHDRAWALNOTICE

RG: 148 Exp osition, Ann iversary, an d Memorial CommissionsSERIES: Team 3,9/11 Commission

NND PROJECT NUM BER: 52100 FOIA CASE NUM BER: 31107W ITHDRAW AL DATE: 11/20/2008

BOX: 00001 FOLDE R: 0001 TAB: 78 DOC ID: 31206585COPIES: 1 PAGES: &

The item identified below h as been w ithdrawn from this file:FOLDE R TITLE: Interviews [2of2]DOCUMENT DATE : 12/23/2003 DOC UM ENT TYPE: LetterFROM: ZelikowTO: JordanSUB JECT: Interview request

This documen t has been withdrawn for the follow ing reason(s):9/11 Personal Privacy

WITHDRAWAL NOTICE

23/78

WITHDRAWAL NOTICERG: 148 Exposition, Anniversary, and Mem orial Com missionsSERIES: Team 3, 9/11 CommissionND PROJECT NU MB ER: 52100 FOIA CASE NUM BER: 31107ITHDRAWAL DATE: 11/20/2008

BOX: 00001 FOLDER: 0001 TAB: 79 DOC ID: 31206586COPIES: 1 PAGES: 3

The item identified below has been w ithdrawn from this file:FOLDER TITLE: Interviews [2of2]DOCUMENT DATE: 04/14/2004 DOC UM ENT TYPE: LetterFROM: ZelikowTO: MohabbatSUBJECT: Interview requ est

This document has been withdrawn for the follow ing reason(s):9/11 Personal Privacy

WITHDRAWAL NOTICE

24/78

H. Kean

H. HamiltonC H A I RBen-Veniste

F. FieldingS.GorelickGorton

b KerreyF.Lehman

J . RoemerR.Thompson

D. ZelikowD I R E C T O R

March 25 , 2004

T he H onorable Theodore KattoufA M I D E A S T1730 M Street, N WSuite 1100Washington, D C 20036Dear A mbassador Kattouf:T he National Commission on T errorist Attacks Up on the U nited States isdirected by statute to investigate th e facts an d circumstances surrounding theSeptember 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, including the nation's preparedness for,an d immediate response to , those attacks, as well as to evaluate the lessonslearned from those attacks and to make recommendations for preventingfuture attacks. A s part of its investigation, the Commission hereby requests tointerview you on issues relating to the following topics: All aspects of an incident occurring in early 1999 involving the sighting ofU sam a bin L adin at a desert hunting camp in western A fghanistan, as

referred to by Steve C oll in his book Ghost Wars, pp. 445 to 448. U .A.E . relations with th e Taliban, as well as U .S. diplomatic efforts, ifany, to w ork with the U .A.E . to put pressure on the T aliban. The U.S. Government's efforts, if any, to curtail financing of al Qaeda by

th e U . A . E . Your assessment of the U . A . E . s efforts to comply with U .N. Security

Council Resolutions 1267 and 1333.The Commission does anticipate that classified information will be discussedat this interview.Alexis Albion, Professional Staff Member to the Comm ission, w ill make thearrangements for your interview. T he C omm ission wo uld like to conduct yourinterview some time in the first week of Ap ril, 2004 in Washington, D C , ifpossible. Several m embers of the Commission's staff will attend your

th Street SW , Room 5125D C 20407

202.331.4060 F 202.296.5545commission.gov

26 Federal PlazaSuite 13-100N ew York, N Y 10278T 212.264.1505 F 212.264.1595

25/78

The H onorable Theodore KattoufMarch 25, 2004Page 2

interview, and the general policy of the Commission is to tape recordinterviews. Please call Alex is Alb ion at 202-331-4081, or email ataalbion@9-l lcom mission.gov, as soon as possible to discuss the time andlocation of your interview, and to raise an y other questions you may have.Thank yo u very much in advance fo r your time and for your cooperation withthe Commission and its staff in this important matter.Sincerely,

26/78

Page 1 of 1

Marquittia ColemanFrom: Alexis AlbionSent: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 9:29AMTo: Marquittia ColemanSubject: invitation letter toAmbassador Kattouf

Marquittia:I could use some help today getting a letter of invitation out to Ambassador Theodore Kattouf. He'sou t of town u ntil the first week o f April, but we need to try to book him as soon as possible.Could you please put together an interview request letter for him (for a non government official)getthe info from m e on what to put in the letter in terms of topics we wan t to discuss w ith him. Then we'llemail the letter to him today. K/,AW&EAST,r73o M sf.MV^ Sy.ie ffOO.V%^xDCKattouf is currently President of AMEAST - you can google it and get the address. His email addressis [email protected] in advance fo r your help on this!

--Alexis

3/16/2004

27/78

28/78

AMIDEAST, America-MideastEducational and Training Services, Inc. Page 1 o f 2

Ml!)!''.AS' 1 Bridging Culturesj Building Understanding

W h a t ' s N ew

Program

Employ

nt Press Releasessador Theodore Kattouf Appointed New President of AMIDEAST,iber12,2003

I Fund AmbassadorWilliam Rugh retires after eightJEAST years df distinguished service to the organization.iked Questions]Washington, DC, September 10, 2003: TheodoreKattouf, a 31-year veteran of the U.S. ForeignService and former ambassador to both theUnited Arab Emirates and S yria, has beenappointed the new president of AMIDEAST bythe organization's Board of Directors. He beganhis work on S eptember 2, 2003 and succeedsAmbassador William Rugh, who has retired fromAMIDEAST after eight years of distinguishedservice.

West Bank/Gaza

Advising QuarterlyEducational ResourcesInstitutional Members/if;Online Training

"It is a great honor and privilege to head this fineorganization," said Ambassador Kattouf. "Having spent many years working in the Arabworld, I have come to truly appreciatethe vital role that AMIDEAST plays inpromotingeducational exchange between the United States and the region. I look forward tofurthering AMIDEAST's mission of strengthening mutual understanding and cooperationbetween A mericans and the peoples of the Middle East and North Africa at such acrucial time."Prior to representing the United S tates as Chief of Mission in the United Arab Emiratesand Syria, Am bassador Kattouf had an eventful career in the U.S. Foreign Service,which he oined in 1972.From 1973 to 1975, Kattouf served in Kuwait as an economic and commercial officer.He then attended the Foreign S ervice Arabic Language P rogram in Beirut, which movedto Tunis following the outbreak of war in Lebanon. He was next assigned as a poiticalofficer to Damascus, and then returned to the United States to serve as a M iddle Eastanalyst in the State Department coveringArab-Israeli affairs. From 1980 to 1982, heworked as an International Relations Officer in the Department's Near East Bureau,where he played a key role in establishing the Multi-National Force and Observers in theSinai. In 1982-83, Kattouf was a State Department m id-career fellow at PrincetonUniversity.From 1983 to 1986, during the Iran-Iraq wa r, Kattouf served in Baghdad as DeputyChief of Mission. He then served in Sanaa, one year as Deputy Chief of Mission, andone year as ChargS d'Affaires. Kattouf returned to the United S tates in 1988 to serve asDeputy Director and subsequently Director of the Office of Lebanon, Jordan and SyrianAffairs. In 1992 he returned overseas, first as Deputy Chief of M ission in Damascus,then as Deputy Chief of Mission in Riyadh, where he served from 1995 to 1998. It fell toKattouf, who was then Charge d'Affaires, to manage the afterma th of the KhobarTowers bombing in which nineteen American airmen perished. He worked with formerSecretary of Defense Perry to relocate both US air assets and training elements in theKingdom to more secure facilitiesand with former FB I Director Freeh to facilitate FBI-Saudi cooperation in the subsequent investigation.President Clinton nominated Kattouf as Ambassador to the United Arab Emirates; hewas confirmed by the Senate in September 1998. Duringhis tenure, US-UAE

http://www.amideast.org/whats_new/press_releases/archive/press_releases_sept_12_03.htm 3/16/2004

29/78

AMIDEAST, America-Mideast Educational and Training Services,Inc. Page 2 o f 2

cooperation significantly expanded in a number of fields intended to bolster Gulf securityand combat terrorism. The Embassy played a particularly crucial role in concluding an$8 billion commercial sale of US fighter aircraft and USG-assisted training. He was thennominated by President Bush as Ambassador to Syria and confirmed by the Senate inAugust 2001.Ambassador Kattouf assumed his position as President and CEO of AMIDEAST onSeptember 2, 2003. "On behalf of the Board of Directors, I would like to welcomeAmbassador Kattouf to AMIDEAST," stated Board Chair Dr. Mary W. Gray. "We arepleased with the leadership that Ambassador Rugh has provided to the organization forthe past eight years, and we have full confidence that Ambassador Kattouf will continueto successfully guide AMIDEAST through the new challenges and opportunities thatawait us."America-Mideast Educational and Training Services, Inc. (AMIDEAST) is a private,nonprofit organization seeking to strengthen mutual understanding and cooperationbetween Americans and the peoples of the Middle East and North Africa. Every year,AMIDEAST provides appropriate English language and skills training to thousands ofstudents and professionals in the Middle East and North Africa, supports numerousinstitutional development projects in the region, and administers academic exchangeprograms. Founded in 1951, AMIDEAST is headquartered in Washington, DCwith anetwork of field offices located in Egypt, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Morocco, Syria,Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, the West Bank and Gaza, and Yemen. For moreinformation, contact Robert Tuttle, Program Officer, External Affairs, at (202) 776-9600or [email protected]

AMIDEAST 1730 M St. NW. Suite 1100 Washington DC 20036T: 202-776-9600 F: 202-776-7000 Email: inquiries @amideast.org

http://www.amideast.org/whats_new/press_releases/archive/press_releases_sept_12_03.htm 3/16/2004

30/78

H. KeanH A I Ree H. H amil tonI C E C H A I R

Ben-Venisteax Cleland

red F. FieldingS. Gorelick

Slade GortonF.Lehman

RoemerR. Thompson

Philip D. ZelikowXECUTI VE DI RECTOR

November 26 , 2003

Mr. Paul B. KurtzSpecial A ssistant to the President andSenior Director for CriticalInfrastructure Protection BoardH omeland Security CouncilEEOB, Room 487Washington, DC 20504Dear Mr. Kurtz:The National Commission on Terrorist A ttacks Upon the United States (betterknown as the 9-11 Commission) is directed by statute to prepare a full andcomplete account of the circumstances surrounding the September 11, 2001terrorist attacks, including the nation's preparedness for, and immediateresponse to, the attacks. The C ommission is also chartered to identify andevaluate lessons learned and provide recommendations to prevent future actsof terrorism upon our nation.Meetings with key policymakers are essential to developing an authoritativenarrative of the September 11,20 01 attacks. A s a former member of theNational Security C ouncil staff prior to your current position w ith theH omeland Security C ouncil, your perspective is vital to the Commission'scollective understanding of 9-11 and its aftermath. We are therefore writing torequest a meeting with you during the week of December 15,2003.The C ommission w ishes to discuss a wide range of topics w ith you, including(but not limited to) your description, analysis, and assessment of: The NSC and White H ouse role in U.S. counterterrorism policy duringyour tenure, including your knowledge of the relevant Small Group, C SG,Deputies' C ommittee, and Principals' C omm ittee meetings. U.S. counterterrorism policy in general, and toward al Qaeda in particular,

including intelligence, covert action, and related legal authorities; militaryoptions; U.S. diplomacy, especially w ith A fghanistan, Saudi A rabia, andPakistan; resources and budgets; the effectiveness of the interagencyprocess; and the drafting of relevant PDD s.

01 7th Street SW, Suite 5125ashington, DC 20407

T 202.331.4060 F 202.296.5545www.9-11commission.gov

26 Federal PlazaSuite 13-100New York, NY 10278T 212.264.1505 F 212.264.1595

31/78

Mr. Paul B. KurtzNovember 26, 2003Page 2 USG counterterrorism efforts related to the Millennium plots and the 2000attack on the U.S.S. Cole, including a discussion of both the processwhereby responses were chosen and your views on their ultimateeffectiveness. Discussions of possible al Qaeda attacks on U.S. soil during your tenureand responses either taken or considered. The use of UAVs as a counterterrorism tool, including your ownviews ontheir efficacy and the policymaking process. USG efforts to detect anddisrupt terrorist financing, particularly vis-a-visSaudi Arabia, and the level of international cooperation with such efforts. The handling of counterterrorism issues during the Clinton-Bush transitionperiod, including yo ur knowledge of briefings given and recommendationsoffered.You m ay wish to review notes and other materials you may have to refreshyour recollection of these ma tters prior to the meeting.We are, of course, interested in any other issues you deem important to theCom mission's understanding of 9-11 specifically and counterterrorism policygenerally, as well as your thoughts on policy recomm endations for the future.Members of the Commission may attend, but the meeting will be conductedby Commission staff. It is the general policy of the C omm ission to recordinterviews.Please have a member of your staff contact M ike Hurley at (202) 331-4077 toindicate your av ailability f or such a meeting and to relay any questions youmay have. Thank you in advance for your time and cooperation w ith theCommission and its staff in this important matter.

Yours sincerely,

Thomas H. Kean Lee H. Ham iltonChair Vice Chaircc: Daniel Levin, U.S. Department of JusticeThomas A. M onheim, Associate Counsel to the President

32/78

Pagel ofl

Marquittia ColemanFrom: Stephanie Kaplan [[email protected]]Sent: Monday, November 24,2003 12:28 PMTo: 'Dana Hyde'Cc: 'Steven Dunne'; [email protected]; [email protected]; wbass@9-

11commission.gov; 'Mike Hurley'Subject: RE : Paul Kurtz Interview Letter

This was sent on 11/18.STEPHANIE L. KAPLAN9-11 COMMISSIONT (202) 331-1125F (202) 296-5545www.9-11commission.gov

Original MessageFrom: Dana Hyde [mailto:[email protected]]Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2003 5:18 PMTo: [email protected]: 'Steven Dunne1; [email protected];[email protected]; [email protected]; 'Mike Hurley1Subject: Paul Kurtz Interview LetterStephanie -I need to add to this letter that we want to inquire about the events in the Sit Room on 9/11. Has it goneout? If not,please let me know how I can make those changes. Thanks - Dana

11/24/2003

33/78

H. Kean

e H. H a m i l t o nC H A I R

Ben-Venisteax Cleland

J .RoemerR . Thompson

Zel ikowDIRECTOR

O ctober 20, 2003

Mr. Ma tt LevittSenior FellowT he Washington Institute fo rNear East Policy1825 L Street, NWSuite 1050Washington, DC 20036Dear Mr. Levitt:T he Na tional C omm ission on T errorist Attacks Up on the United States isdirected by statute to investigate th e facts and circumstances surrounding th eSeptember 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, includin g th e nation's preparedness for,and immediate response to , those a ttacks, as wel l as to evaluate th e lessonslearned from those attacks and to mak e recommendations fo r preventingfuture attacks. As part of its investigation, th e Commission hereby requests tointerview you on Al Qaeda's links to various governments, terrorist financing,an d the role of Saudi Arabia in fostering radicalism. The Commission doesanticipate that classified information wil l be discussed at this interview .D an Byman, consultant to the Commission, will make the arrangements foryour interview . T he C omm ission would l ike to conduct your interviewsometime in the second h alf of O ctober in Washington, DC , i f possible. Atleast two members of the C omm ission's staff w ill attend your interview, andth e general policy of the Commission is to tape record interview s. Please callD an Byman at 202-687-4095 if you have any questions about your -interview .Thank yo u very much in advance fo r your t im e and for your cooperation w ithth e Commission and its staff in this imp ortant matter.Sincerely,

301 7 th Street SW, Room 5125Washington, DC 20407T 202.331.4060 F 202.296.5545w w w . 9 - 1 1 commiss ion . g ov

34/78

35/78

H. K ean

H. Ha m i l ton

is tex Cle land

F. Fie ldingS. Gore l ick

F. L e hma nJ. R oe me r

R . Thompson

) . Zel ikow/HVE D I R E C T O R

November 5, 2003

The Honorable William B. MilamSenior ScholarWoodrow Wilson International Centerfo r ScholarsOne Woodrow Wilson Plaza1300 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW

Washington, DC 20004-3027Dear Ambassador Milam:The National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States isdirected by statute to investigate the facts and circumstances surrounding theSeptember 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, including the nation's preparedness for,and immediate response to, the attacks, as well as to evaluate the lessonslearned from the attacks and to make recommendations for preventing futureattacks. As part of its investigation, the Comm ission hereby reque sts tointerview you on issues relating to the fol lowing general topics: Afghanistanas a terrorist sanctuary and USG relations w ith both Pakistan and the Talibanin connection with counterterrorism policy. The Commission does anticipatethat classif ied information w ill be discussed at this interview.Scott Allan, counsel to the Com mission, w ill make th e arrangements for yourinterview. The Commission would like to condu ct your interview sometimein the second half of November 2003 in Washington, DC, if possible. At leasttw o members of the C ommission's staff w ill attend your interview, and thegeneral policy of the C omm ission is to record interview s. Please call ScottAllan at 202-331-4079 as soon as possible to discuss the time and location ofyour interview, and to raise any other questions you may have.Thank yo u very much in advance for your time and for your cooperation w iththe Comm ission and its staff in this important matter.Sincerely,

Philip Ze l ikowExecut ive Directorth S t r e e t SW, S u i t e 5 1 2 5

DC 20407f 2 0 2 . 2 9 6 . 5 5 4 5

26 Fe de ra l PlazaS u i t e 1 3 - 1 0 0N e w Y o r k , N Y 1027 '^

36/78

F. Fielding

. Roemer

ZelikowE D I R E C T O R

October 17,2003

Mr. Douglas MillerVice President Corporate DevelopmentUnion O il Company of California2141 Rosecrans Avenue, Suite 4000El Segundo, CA 90245Dear Mr. Miller:TheNational Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States isdirected by statute to investigate the facts and circumstances surrounding theSeptember 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, including the nation's preparedness for,and imm ediate response to, those attacks, as well as to evaluate the lessonslearned from those attacks and to make recomm endations fo r preventingfuture attacks. A s part of its investigation, the Com mission hereby requests tointerview you, under oath, on issues rel ating to the following general topics:UNOCAL's plans for an Afghan oil pipeline in the 1990's and UNOCAL'sdiscussions with the Taliban during that same period.Scott Allan, counsel to the Commission, will make the arrangements for yourinterview. T he Commission would like to conduct your interview sometimein October in Washington, DC, if possible. A t least tw o members of theCommission's staff will attend your interview, and the general policy of theCommission is to tape record interviews. Please call Scott A llan at202-331-4079 as soon as possible to discuss the time and location of yourinterview, and to raise an y other questions you may have.Thank yo u very much in advance fo r your time and for your cooperation withthe Commission and its staff in this important matter.Sincerely,

Philip ZelikowExecutive Directorcc : Samuel H. Gillespie III, Esq.General Counsel to U N O C A L

30 1 7' K Street SW, Room 5125W a s h i n g t o n , D C 20407T 202.331.4060 F 202.296.5545w w w .9 - 1 l com m is s ion . gov

37/78

WITHDRAWAL NOTICERG: 148 Exposition, Anniversary, and Memorial Com missionsSERIES: Team 3,9/11 Commission

PROJECT NUM BER: 52100 FOIA CASE NUMBER: 31107WITHDRAWAL DATE: 11/20/2008

BOX: 00001 FOLDER: 0001 TAB: 80 DOC ID: 31206587COPIES: 1 PAGES: 1

_ACCESS RESTRICTEDThe item identified below has been w ithdrawn from this file:

FOLDER TITLE: Interviews [2of2]DOCUMENT DATE: 09/30/2003 DOC UM ENT TYPE: LetterFROM: ZelikowTO: MooseSUBJECT: Interview request

This document has been withdraw n for the following reason(s):9/11 Personal Privacy

WITHDRAWAL NOTICE

38/78

H. Kean

d Ben-VenisteCleland

F. Fie ld ingS. GorelickGortonF. Lehman

J . RoemerR . Thompson

X Ze l i k o w- i l V E D I R E C T O R

October 30 , 2003

General R ichard B . MyersChairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff9999 PentagonWashington, DC 20318Dear Chairman Myers:A s. you know, the Na tional C ommission on Terrorist A ttacks Upon the UnitedStates (better known as the 9-11 Commission) is directed by statute to prepare afull and complete account of the circumstances surrounding the September 11,2001 terrorist attacks, including the nation's preparedness for,and immediateresponse to, the attacks. T he Commission is also chartered to identify andevaluate lessons learned and provide recommendations to prevent future acts ofterrorism upon our nation.Public Law 107-306 authorizes th e Commission to secure needed informationdirectly from any agency. Thus fa r, with support from th e Department ofDefense, the C ommission has com piled an extensive written record numberingover 2 million pages. Building on this record, meetings with senior po licymakersare essential to developing an au thorita tive narrativ e on the S eptember 11,2001attacks. Y our perspe ctive is vital to informing th e Commission's understandingof 9-11 and its immediate aftermath, and we are therefore writing to request ameeting with you during th e week of January 26, 2004.T he C omm ission wishes to discuss a wide range of topics with you, including(butno t limited to ) your description, analysis, an d assessment of: T he role of the Joint C hiefs of Staff (JC S) in the development of U.S.counterterrorism policy from March 1, 2000, through September 20, 2001,including your participation in relevant P rincipals' and Deputies ' Committeemeetings and the JCS position articulated at these m eetings. T h e military's counterterrorism responsibilities and the effectiveness of U.S.counterterrorism policy, including your advice to the Secretary of Defense,White House officials, and other principals about th e proper strategic an dtactical responses to the al Qaeda threat. The effect iveness of interagency coordination on the al Qaeda threat,including guidance provided to the Depar tment of Defense and JCS in

30 1 7'h St ree t SW, Room 5125W a s h i n g t o n , D C 2 0 40 7T 202.331.4060 F 202.296.5545www.9~ l l com m is s ion . gov

39/78

General Richard B. MeyersOctober 3 0 ,2003Page 2relevant presidential decision directives an d national security presidentialdirectives.

The Department of Defense and JCS response to the 1998 East Africaembassy bombings, the Millennium plots, and the 2000 attack on the U.S.S.Cole, including th e military's views on the various response optionsconsidered.

M ilitary options requested, considered, rejected, or approved in response to alQaeda from March 1, 2000, to September 20 , 2001, including param ilitary orspecial forces missions, an d steps taken by the JCS in preparation for apossible order to strike al Qaeda or Taliban targets. The readiness of the military to carry out possible orders to strike al Qaedatargets in Afghanistan or elsewhere. The handling of counterterrorism issues during th e Clinton-Bush transitionperiod, including a detailed discussion of briefings given an drecommendations offered. Intelligence support to the military on the al Qaeda threat, includingcooperation between the CIA and the military in responding to that threat an ddiscussions on the use of UA Vs. JCS efforts to ensure international military cooperation against al Qaeda,including efforts with the government of Uzbek istan. A n assessment of discussions that took place from March 1, 2000, toSeptember 11, 2001 on possible al Qaeda attacks on U.S. soil arid theDepartment of Defense's preparations for homeland defense. The Pentagon's imm ediate response to the attacks of September 11, 2001.You may wish to review notes and other documen ts to refresh your recollection ofthese matters prior to the interview.W e are, of course, interested in any other issues you deem relevant to theCom m ission's und erstanding of 9-11 specifically, and war on terrorism generally,as well as your thoughts on policy recommendations for the future. Members ofthe Com mission and select staff wo uld attend , and it is the general policy of theCommission to record interviews.

40/78

General Richard B. MeyersOctober 30, 2003Page 3This proposed interview is separate from your requested participation in a p ublichearing to be held in Washing ton, DC on M arch 22, 2004. You will receive aseparate invitation to testify in the coming weeks, and we hope that yo u will agreeto appear before the Commission fo r this important public forum.Please have a member of your staff contact D aniel Leopold at (202) 331-4064 toindicate your availability for such an interview and to relay any questions you oryour staff may have. Thank you in advance for your time and cooperation withthe Commission and its staff in this important matter.

Yours sincerely,

Thomas H. Kean Lee H. Ham iltonChair Vice Chaircc: Dan iel Levin, U.S. De partmen t of JusticePat Down s, U.S. Department of Defense

41/78

H. Kea n

H. Hamilton

d Ben-Ve nisteCleland

F. LehmanRoemer

Thompson

ZelikowD I R E C T O R

August 18, 2003Lt. Gen. Gregory S. New bold, USMC , (R et.)Executive Vice President and COOThe P otomac In stitute for Policy Studies901 N. Stuart Street, Suite 200Arlington, VA 22203Dear General Newbold:The National Commission on Terrorist A ttacks Upon the United States isdirected by statute to investigate the facts and circumstances surrounding theSeptember 11,2001 terrorist attacks, including the nation's preparedness for,and imme diate response to, those attacks, as well as to evaluate the lessonslearned from those attacks and to make recommendations for preventingfuture attacks. As part of its investigation, the C ommission hereby requests tointerview you on issues relating to the following gen eral topics: U.S. militarypreparedness for counterterrorism in the U.S. and the C E NTC OM area ofresponsibility since 1998.Bonnie Jenkins, counsel to the C ommission, w ill make the arrangements foryour interview. The C ommission would like to conduct your interviewsometime in the first half of September in W ashing ton, DC , if possible. A tleast tw o members of the C ommission's staff w ill attend your interview, an dthe gen eral policy of the C ommission is to tape record interview s. Please callBon nie Jen kins at 202-331-4078 as soon as possible to discuss the time an dlocation of your interview , and to raise an y other questions you mayjiave,Thank you very much in advance for your time and for your cooperation withthe C ommission and its staff in this important m atter.Sincerely,

Philip Z elikowE xecutive Director

301 7'h Street SW, Room 5125Was hing ton , DC 20407T 202.331.4060 F 202.296.5545w w w .9 - l l com m is s ion .gov

42/78

t\ON ON

H. Kean

Hamil tonC H A I R

Ben-VenisteCleland

F. LehmanJ . Roemer

R . Thompson

Ze l i ko w^ V E D I R E C T O R

August 29, 2003Ambassador Robert B. OakleyDistinguished Research FellowInstitute fo r Na tional Strategic StudiesNational Defense UniversityFort Lesley J. McNairWashington, DC 20319-5066Dear Ambassador Oakley:The National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States isdirected by statute to investigate the facts an d circumstances surrounding theSeptember 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, including the nation's preparedness for,and im mediate response to, those attacks, as well as to evaluate the lessonslearned from those attacks and to make recommendations fo r preventingfuture attacks. As part of its investigation , the Com mission hereby requests tointerview you on issues relating to the following general topics: the al Qaedapresence in Afghanistan, U.S.-Pakistani relations relating to terrorism, and theUnocal pipeline project.Scott Allan, counsel to the Commission, will m ake the arrangements fo r yourinterview. The Commission would like to conduct your interview some timein the first half of September in W ashington DC, if possible. Severalmembers of the Commission's staff will attend your interview, and the generalpolicy of the Com mission is to tape record interviews. Please call Scott Allanat 202-331 -4079 as soon as possible to discuss the time and location of yourinterview, and to raise an y other questions you may have. -*

-*wThank yo u very much in advance fo r your time and for your cooperation withthe Com mission and its staff in this impo rtant matter.Sincerely,

Philip ZelikowExecut ive DirectorCc: Pat Downs, Department of Defense

30 1 7' h Street SW , Room 5125W a s h i n g t o n , D C 20407T 202.331.4060 F 202.296.5545www.9-1 l commi ss i on .gov

43/78

Kean

H . Hamil tonC H A I R

ClelandF. Fielding

S. GorelickGorton

F. Lehman

R. Thompson

. Zelikow, f l V E D I R E C T O R

November 5, 2003

The Honorable Thomas R. PickeringSenior V ice PresidentThe Boeing Company1530 Wilson BoulevardArlington, V A 22209Dear Ambassador Pickering:The National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States isdirected by statute to investigate the facts and circumstances surrounding th eSeptember 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, including the nation's preparedness for,and imm ediate response to, the attacks, as well as to evaluate the lessonslearned from the attacks and to make recomm endations for preventing futureattacks. As part of its investigation, the Commission hereby requests tointerview you on issues relating to the follow ing general topics: U.S.counterterrorism policy ; the Taliban and Washington's approach to Islamabadon counterterrorism issues; USG counterterrorist financ ing efforts; andmanagement of the cou nterterrorism aspects of consular, migration, andrefugee affairs. The C omm ission does anticipate that classified info rm ationwill be discussed at this interview.Scott Alla n, counsel to the Commission, will make th e arrangements for yourinterview. The Commission would like to conduct your interview sometimein the first half of D ecember 2003 in W ashington, DC , if possible. At leasttw o members of the Commission's staff will attend your interview, and thegeneral policy of the Commission is to record interview s. Please call ScottAllan at 202-331-4079 as soon as possible to discuss the time and location ofyour interview, and to raise any other questions yo u may h ave.Thank you very muc h in advance for your time and for your cooperation withthe Commission and its staff in this important matter.Sincerely,

Philip Zel ikowExecut ive Director

h Street SW, Suite 5 1 2 5DC 20407

K 2 0 2 . 2 9 6 . 5 5 4 5

26 Federa l PlaraSu i t e 13 -100N e w Y u r k , N Y 1 0 2 7 S

44/78

WITHDRAWAL NOTICE

RG: 148 Expo sition, Anniversary, and M emorial Comm issionsSERIES: Team 3, 9/11 Commission

NND PROJECT NUM BER: 52100 FOIA CASE NUM BER: 31107WITHDRAWAL DATE: 11/20/2008

BOX: 00001 FOLDER: 0001 TAB: 81 DOC ID: 31206588COPIES: 1 PAGES: 1

_ACCESS RESTWCTED|_|The item identified below has been withdraw n from this file:

FOLDER TITLE: Interviews [2o2]DOCUMENT DATE: 09/23/2003 DOC UM ENT TYPE: LetterFROM: ZelikowTO: PettersonSUBJECT: Interview request

This document has been withdrawn for the following reason(s):9/11 Personal Privacy

WITHDRAWAL NOTICE

45/78

46/78

H. Kean

H. H ami l tonC H A I R

Ben-Veniste

x ClelandF. Fielding

Gorel ickGorton

F. Lehman

J. RoemerR . Thompson

ZelikowD I R E C T O R

O ctober 20, 2003

T he H onorable C olin L. PowellSecretary of State2201 C Street, NWWashington, D C 20520Dear Secretary Powell:A s you know, the National C ommission on T errorist A ttacks Upon the UnitedStates (better kno wn as the 9-11 C omm ission) is directed by statute to prepare afull and complete account of the circumstances surrounding the September 11,2001 terrorist attacks, including the nation's preparedness for, and immed iateresponse to, the attacks. The C ommission is also chartered to identify andevaluate lessons learned and provide recommendations to prevent future acts ofterrorism upo n our nation.Public Law 107-306 authorizes the C omm ission to secure needed inform ationdirectly from any agency. T hus far, with the strong support of you and yourD epartment, the C ommission has compiled an extensive written record numberingmore than 2 million pages. Building on this record, meetings with seniorpolicymakers are essential to developing an authoritative narrative of theSeptember 11, 2001 attacks. You r perspective is vital to the C om mission'sunderstanding of 9-11 and its immediate aftermath, and we are therefore writingto request a meeting with you during the week of January 18, 2004.T he C omm ission wishes to discuss a wide range of topics with you, including (butnot limited to) your description, analysis, and assessment of: USG efforts to combat terrorist organizations, especially al Qaeda, fromJanuary 20, 2001 to September 20, 2001. This includes the StateD epartment's overall role as well as your p articipation in relevant Principals'C ommittee meetings. I t should also include, inter alia, your views of theeffectiveness of U.S. counterterrorism policy. The State D epartment's counterterrorism policy in general with a particularemphasis on diplom atic instruments considered and used to combat terrorism,from January 20, 2001 to September 20, 2001. This would include U.S.pressure on Pakistan and the Taliban to address the al Qaeda presence inA fghanistan.

30 1 7 lh Street SW, Room 5125Washington, DC 20407T 202.331.4060 F 202.296.5545www.9-llcommission.gov

47/78

The Honorable Colin L. PowellOctober 20, 2003Page 2 The State Depa rtment's diplomatic relations with other countries (especiallyAfghanistan, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, and Sudan) in connection with terrorism,

from January 20, 2001 to September 20, 2001. This would include yourmeetings and comm unications w ith officials from such countries inconnection with counterterrrorism. The role of, and your interaction with, the Office of the Coordinator forCounterterrorism both before and after the September 11 attacks. The State Departmen t's recommended responses to the U.S.S. Cole bombing. The State Department's visa issuance policy and practice in the context ofCounterterrorism. The Clinton-Bush transition period as it related to Coun terterrorism policy.This includes all Counterterrorism briefings you received during that period.You may wish to review notes and other documents to refresh your recollection ofthese matters prior to the m eeting.We are, of course, interested in any other issues you deem relevant to theCommission's understanding of 9-11 specifically and Counterterrorism policygenerally, as well as your thoughts on policy recommendations for the future.Mem bers of the Comm ission and select staff will attend, and it is the general policyof the Comm ission to record such meetings.This proposed m eeting is separate from your requested participation in a publichearing to be held in W ashington, DC, on March 24, 2004. You w ill receive aseparate invitation to testify in the com ing weeks, and we hope that you will agreeto appear before the Commission for this important public forum.Please have a m ember of your staff contact Daniel Leopold at (202) 331-4064 toindicate your availability for such a meeting and to relay any questions you oryour staff may have. Thank you in advance for your time and cooperation w iththe Commission and its staff in this important matter.

Yours sincerely,

Thomas H. Kean Lee H. HamiltonChair Vice Chaircc: Daniel Levin, U.S. Department of JusticeKarl W. Hofrnann, Executive Secretary

48/78

H . K e a n

ee H. Ha m i l t o nC H A I R

Ben-Venis teax Cle land

F. Fi e l d i ngS. GorelickG or ton

F. Leh m a n} . R o e m e r

R . Thom p son

D. Z e l i k o wJT1VE D I R E C T O R

December 2, 2003

D r. Susan E . RiceSenior FellowForeign Policy and Governance StudiesProgramsThe Brookings Institution1775 Massachusetts A ve. NWWashington, D C 20036Dear Dr. R ice:The National C ommission on Terrorist Attacks Upon th e United States isdirected by statute to investigate th e facts and circumstances surrounding th eSeptember 11 , 2001 terrorist attacks, including th e nation's preparedness for,and imm ediate response to, those attacks, as w ell as to evaluate the lessonslearned from those attacks and to make r ecomm endat ions fo r preventingfuture attacks. A s par t of i ts invest igation, the C omm ission hereby requests tointerview you on issues relating to the fol low ing general topics: U S policytowards Sudan , th e al Qaeda presence in Sudan , and alleged offers by theSudanese government to assist the United States on counterterrorism matte r s .The C omm ission does anticipate that classif ied inform ation will be discussedat this in terview.Scott A llan, counsel to the C omm ission , wi l l make th e arrangements fo r yourinterview. The C ommiss ion w ould l ike to conduct your in te rv iew somet imeduring the second half of December 2003 in W ashing ton, D C . A t least twom e m be r s of the Commiss ion ' s staff wi l l at tend your in te rv iew, and the generalpolicy of the Commiss ion is to tape record interviews. Please call Scott A l l a nat 202-331-4079 as soon as possible to discuss th e t i m e and location of y o u rinterview, and to raise any other quest ions you may have .

01 7' 1 ' S t r e e t S W , S u i t e 5 1 2 5DC 2 0 4 0 7

i 2 0 2 . 3 3 1 . 4 0 6 0 i - 2 0 2 . 2 9 6 . 5 5 4 5. 1 I c o m m i v M o n . m > v

26 Fed e ra l Pla:aS u i t e 1 3 - 1 0 0N e w Y o r k , N Y 1 0 2 7 8T 2 1 2 . 2 6 4 . 1 5 0 5 f 2 1 2 . 2 6 4 . 1 5 9 5

49/78

Dr. Susan E. RiceDecember 2, 2003Page 2

Thank you very much in advance for your time and for your cooperation withthe Commission and its staff in this important matter.Sincerely,

50/78

^Thomas H. KeanC H A I RLee H. H a m i lto nV I C E C H A I RR ichard Ben-V enisteMax ClelandFred F. FieldingJamie S. GorelickSlade GortonJohn F. LehmanTimothy J . R oemerJames R . Thompson

Philip D. Zelikow,UT!VE D I R E C T O R

November 18, 2003

Mr. Steven SimonSenior A nalystR A N D1200 South H ayes StreetA rlington, V A 22202-5050Dear Mr. Simon:The National C ommission on Terrorist A ttacks Upon the United States (betterknown as the 9-11 C ommission) is directed by statute to prepare a full andcomplete account of the circumstances surrounding the September 11, 2001terrorist attacks, including the nation's preparedness f or, and immediate responseto, the attacks. The C ommission is also chartered to identify and evaluate lessonslearned and provide recommendations to prevent future acts of terrorism upon ournation.Interviews with form er policymakers are essential to developing an authoritativenarrative of the September 11,2001 attacks. A s a former member of the NationalSecurity Council staff, your knowledge and perspective is vital to theCommission's work. W e are therefore writing to request an interview w ith youduring the week of December 1, 2003.The C ommission wishes to discuss a wide range of topics w ith you, including (butnot limited to) your description, analysis, and assessment of: The NSC and White H ouse role in U.S. counterterrorism policy during yourtenure, including you r knowledge of the relevant Small Group, CSG,Deputies' C ommittee, and Principals' C omm ittee meetings. USG counterterrorism policy in general, andtoward al Qaeda in particular,including intelligence, covert action, and related legal authorities; militaryoptions; U.S. diplomacy, especially with A fgh anistan, Saudi A rabia, andPakistan; resources and budgets; the effectiveness of the interagency process;and the drafting of related presidential decision directives.

301 7th Street SW, Suite 5125Washington, DC 20407T 202.331.4060 F202.296.5545www.9-1 lcommission.gov

26 Federal PlazaSuite 13400New York, NY 10278T 212.264.1505 F212.264.1595

51/78

Mr. Steven SimonNovember 18, 2003Page 2 USGcounter-terrorism efforts related to the 1998 East Africa embassy

bombings, the Millennium plots, and the 2000 attack on the U.S.S. Cole,including a discussion of both the process whereb y responses were chosen andyour views on their ultimate effectiveness. Discussions of possible al Qaeda attacks on U.S. soil during your tenure andresponses either taken or considered. The use of UAVs as a counterterrorism tool, including your own views ontheir efficacy and the policymaking process. USG efforts to detect anddisrupt terrorist financing, particularly vis-a-vis

Saudi Arabia, and the level of international cooperation with such efforts. Thehandling of counterterrorism issues during the Clinton-Bush transitionperiod, including your know ledge of briefings given and recommendationsoffered.You may w ish to review notes and other materials you may have to refresh yourrecollection of these m atters prior to the interview.We are, of course, interested in any other issues you deem important to theCommission's understanding of 9-11 specifically and counterterrorism policygenerally, as well as your thoughts onpolicy recommendations for the future.The Comm ission anticipates that classified inform ation will be discussed at thisprivate session, requiring that the interviews take place at the Comm ission's 2100K Street, NW, location. Members of the Commission may attend, but theinterviews will be conducted by C ommission staff. It is the general policy of theComm ission to record interviews.Please contact M ike Hurley at (202) 331-4077 to indicate your availability fo rsuch an interview and to relay any questions you may have. Thank you inadvance for your time and cooperation with the Commission and its staff in thisimportant matter.Sincerely,

0Philip ZelikowExecutive Director

52/78

Thomas H. KeanC H A I RLee H. HamiltonV I C E C H A I RRichard Ben-VenisteMax ClelandFred F. FieldingJ a m i e S. GorelickSlade GortonJohn F. LehmanTimothy J. RoemerJames R. Thompson

lip D. ZelikowU T I V E D I R E C T O R

November 18, 2003

T he H onorable Bill R ichardsonGovernor of New M exicoState CapitolSuite 400Santa Fe, NM 87501Dear Governor Richardson:T he National C ommission on Terrorist A ttacks U pon the U nited States (betterknown as the 9-11 Commission) is directed by statute to prepare a full andcomplete account of the circumstances surrounding the September 11,2001terrorist attacks, including the nation's preparedness for, and immediateresponse to, the attacks. T he C omm ission is also chartered to identify andevaluate lessons learned and provide recommendations to prevent future actsof terrorism upon our nation. Aspart of its investigation, the Commissionhereby requests to interview you on issues relating to A fghanistan as a terroristsanctuary andyour discussions with the Taliban regarding Osama bin Laden.The Commission does anticipate that classified information will be discussedat this interview.Scott Allan, counsel to the Commission, will make the arrangements for yourinterview. T he C ommission would like to conduct your interview sometimein late Novem ber or early December via a secure telephone line. A t least twomembers of the Commission's staff will conduct yo ur interview. Please callScott A llan at (202) 331-4079 as soon as possible to discuss the tim e and dateof your interview, and to raise any other questions you may have.Thank yo u very much in advance for your time and for your cooperation withthe Commission and its staff in this important matter.Sincerely,

0Philip ZelikowExecutive Director

301 7th Street SW, Suite 5125Washington, DC 20407T 202.331.4060 F 202.296.5545www.9-11 commission.gov

26 Federal PlazaSuite 13-100New York, NY 10278T 212.264.1505 F 212.264.1595

53/78

H. Kean

C H A I R

Ben-VenisteCleland

F. LehmanJ . Roemer

R. Thompson

ZeltkowD I R E C T O R

October 20, 2003

The H onorable Donald H. RumsfeldSecretary of D efense1010 Defense PentagonWashington, DC 20310-1010Dear Secretary Rum sfeld:As you know, the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the UnitedStates (better know n as the 9-11 Com mission) is directed by statute to prepare afull and complete account of the circumstances surrounding the September 11,2001 terrorist attacks, including the nation's preparedness fo r, and immediateresponse to, the attacks. The Com m ission is also chartered to identify andevaluate lessons learned and provide recommendations to prevent future acts ofterrorism upon our nation.Public Law 107-306 authorizes the Commission to secure needed informationdirectly from any agency. Thus far, with the strong support of you and yourDepartment, the Commission has compiled an extensive written record num beringmore than 2 million pages. Bu ilding on this record, meetings with seniorpolicymakers are essential to developing an authoritative narrative of theSeptember 11,2 001 attacks. Your perspective is vital to the Com m ission'sunderstanding of 9-11 and its immediate aftermath, and we are therefore writingto request a meeting with you during the week of February 2, 2004.The Com m ission wishes to discuss a wide range of topics w ith you, including (butnot limited to) your description, analysis, and assessment of: The Department of Defense's role in the development of U.S.counterterrorism policy from January 20 , 2001 through September 20 , 2001,including you r participation in relevant Principals' Committee meetings. The Department's counterterrorism responsibilities and the effectiveness ofU.S. counterterrorism policy, including your discussions with White Hous e

officials and other principals about the proper strategic and tactical responsesto the al Qaeda threat. The effectiveness of interagency coordination on the al Qaeda threat,including an analysis of guidance provided by the Department for relevantnational security presidential directives.

301 7 th Street SW , Room 5125Washington, DC 20407T 202.331.4060 F 202.296.5545www,9-l lcommission.gov

54/78

The H onorable Donald H. RumsfeldOctober 20,2003Page 2 The Department's response to the 2000 attack on the U.S.S. Cole, includingthe various options requested, considered, rejected, or approved. Military options requested, considered, rejected, or approved in response to alQaeda from January 1, 2001 to September 20, 2001, including paramilitary orspecial forces m issions, steps taken by the Department in preparation for a

possible order to strike al Qaeda or Taliban targets, and your assessment of themilitary's readiness to carry out any such orders.

The handling of counterterrorism issues du ring the Clinton-Bush transitionperiod, including a detailed discussion of briefings given andrecommendations offered. Intelligence support to the military on the al Qaeda threat, including thecooperation between the CIA and Defense in responding to that threat anddiscussions on the use of UAVs. The Department's efforts to ensure international military cooperation againstal Qaeda, including efforts with the government of Uzbekistan. The discussions that took place from January 1, 2001 to September 11, 2001on possible al Qaeda attacks on U.S. soil and the Dep artm ent's preparationsfor homeland defense. The Pentagon's imm ediate response to the attacks of September 11 , 2001 andyour personal invo lvement in that response.You may wish to review notes and other documents to refresh your recollection ofthese m atters p rior to the meeting.We are, of course, interested in any other issues you deem relevant to theCom m ission's understanding of 9-11 specifically and counterterrorism policygenerally, as well as your thoughts on policy recommendations for the future.Members of the Commission and select staff will attend, and it is the general policyof the Commission to record such m eetings.This proposed m eeting is separate from your requested participation in a publichearing to be held in Washington, DC, on March 22,2004. You will receive aseparate invitation to testify in the coming weeks, and we hope that you will agreeto appear before the Commission for this important public forum.Please have a member of your staff contact Daniel Leopold at (202) 331-4064 toindicate your availability for such a meeting and to relay any questions you or

55/78

The Honorable Donald H. RumsfeldOctober 20, 2003Page 3your staff may have. Thank you in advance for your time and cooperation withthe Commission and its staff in this important matter.

Yours sincerely,

Thomas H. Kean Lee H. HamiltonChair Vice Chair

cc: Daniel Levin, U.S. Department of JusticePat Downs, U.S. Department of Defense

56/78

H. Kean

Hami l t o nC H A I R

Ben-Veniste

Cleland

F. Fie ld ing

Gorton

F. LehmanJ . RoemerThompson

Ze l i k owtV E D I R E C T O R

October 30 , 2003

General H. Hugh Shelton (USA, ret .)President of International Operations an d V ice Chai rM IC Industries11911 Freedom Drive, Suite 1000R e s t o n , V A 2 0 1 9 0D ear General Shelton:T he National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States (betterknown as the 9-11 Commission) is directed by statute to prepare a full andcomplete account of the circumstances surrounding th e September 11, 2001terrorist at tacks, including the nat ion 's preparedness for, and immediate responseto, the at tacks. T he Commission is also chartered to ident ify an d evaluate lessonslearned and provide recommendations to prevent future acts of terrorism upon ournat ion.In terviews with former senior policymakers are essential to developing anauthori ta t ive narrat ive of the Sept em ber 11 , 2001 at tacks. As the f orm erChai rm an of the Joint Ch iefs of Staff, your perspect ive is vi t a l to theC omm ission's collect ive understanding of 9-11, and we are therefore wri t ing torequest an interview with you during the week of January 26, 2004.T he Com m iss ion w ishes to discuss a wide range of topics w ith you, including (butnot limited to) your descript ion, analysis, and assessment of: Th e role of the Joint Chiefs o f Staff (JCS) in the developm ent of U.S.counter terrorism p olicy from January 1, 1998, through Septem ber 20, 2001,including your par t ic ipa t ion in relevant Principals ' Commit tee meet ings, th eJC S posi t ion ar t iculated at these meet ings, and your advice to the Secretary ofDefense, White House officials, and other principals about the proper s t rategicand tactical responses to the al Qaeda threat . T he mili tary's counter terrorism responsibil i ties, the effect iveness of U . S .counterterrorism policy, and the readiness of the military to carry out possibleorders to strike al Qaeda targets in Af ghanis t an or elsewhere.

30 1 7 'h S t r e e t SW , R o o m 5 1 2 5W a s h i n g t o n , D C 2 0 4 0 7T 2 0 2 . 3 3 1 . 4 0 6 0 f 2 0 2 . 2 9 6 . 5 5 4 5w w w . 9 - 1 l c o m m i s s i o n . g o v

57/78

General H. Hugh Shelton (USA, ret.)October 30 , 2003Page 2 The effectiveness of interagency coordination on the al Qaeda threat,including guidance provided to the Department of Defense and JCS inrelevant presidential decision directives an d national security presidential

directives. The Department of Defense and JCS response to the 1998 East Africaembassy bombings, the Millennium plots, and the 2000 attack on the U.S.S.

Cole, including th e military's views on the various response optionsconsidered.

Military