t206 midterm assignment

I had no idea that the night Would take so damn long Took it out, on the street While the rain still falls Push me back to you. Shattered by O.A.R. Photo by Koos Fernhout

Upload: kelsey-pepmeier

Post on 06-Mar-2016

Category:

Documents

0 download

DESCRIPTION

Shattered by O.A.R.

TRANSCRIPT

Page 1: T206 Midterm Assignment

I had no idea that the night Would take so damn long Took it out, on the street While the rain still falls Push me back to you.

Shattered by O.A.R.

Photo by Koos Fernhout

Page 2: T206 Midterm Assignment

Page 3: T206 Midterm Assignment

Page 4: T206 Midterm Assignment

I  toyed  with  several  different  types  of  songs  to  choose  from.  Some  seemed  too  happy  or  optimistic  for  the  mood  I  was  in.  As  I  started  looking  through  songs,  nothing  seemed  to  jump  out  at  me,  but  I  realized  that  they  had  an  overall  theme  of  sadness  and  loneliness.  A  lot  of  the  lyrics  dealt  with  brokenness  or  an  absence  of  something.  In  the  end,  I  chose  “Shattered”  by  O.A.R.       To  me,  this  lyric  is  about  trying  to  get  over  something.  It  makes  me  feel  sad,  and  like  the  bad  times  in  life  seem  to  drag  on  forever.  The  overall  tone  of  the  lyric  reminds  me  of  a  dark,  cold  night  when  you’re  all  alone.  It  makes  me  feel  vulnerable  and  alone  and  broken.  Nothing  about  this  lyric  is  happy  or  inviting.  I  wanted  to  evoke  that  in  my  pictures.  I  knew  that  I  wanted  all  of  my  pictures  to  be  desolate  and  dark,  to  evoke  sadness  and  a  feeling  of  emptiness.  Therefore,  I  chose  not  to  place  people  in  my  pictures.  I  also  tried  for  empty  space  in  my  shots.  I  wanted  the  photos  to  evoke  something  dreary.  I  set  the  photos  to  black  and  white  because  they  are  meant  to  be  sad,  hopeless,  and  colorless.       The  first  photo  is  of  buildings  lining  a  street.  A  stoplight  is  on  the  rule  of  thirds  and  it  represents  being  at  a  standstill  in  life,  almost  like  a  stopping  point.  No  matter  how  hard  you  want  to  move  on,  there’s  something  holding  you  back.  This  shot  is  sort  of  busy,  but  as  the  images  progress  they  get  more  desolate.  

Page 5: T206 Midterm Assignment

The  second  image  is  of  a  corner  with  park  benches.  Notice  that  the  long  shot  features  park  benches  that  are  empty,  which  creates  a  sense  of  aloneness.  Also,  they  are  concrete  and  not  metal.  The  concrete  gives  the  benches  a  cold,  hard  texture  without  being  shiny  and  sleek  like  the  metal  benches  would  have  been.  It’s  more  rough  than  metal  is.       The  third  photo  is  an  extreme  close-­‐up  some  water  droplets  on  a  window.    The  droplets  represent  dots  that  draw  the  eye  to  the  third  lines.  I  felt  it  was  necessary  to  add  this  image  to  project  because  it  represents  tears,  sadness,  and  a  rainy  day.       The  fourth  image  is  almost  a  continuation  of  the  third.  You  can  tell  by  the  glare  off  the  streets  that  it  is  cold  and  wet.  Again,  this  represents  tears  and  sadness.  There  are  cars  in  the  shot.  Their  headlights  create  dots  of  light.  I  feel  like  the  cars  represent  a  need  to  go  somewhere  and  get  out  of  the  slump  that  you’re  in.       The  final  image  has  very  sharp  lines.  The  angle  almost  seems  broken  and  dangerous.  I  took  this  photo  as  a  low  angle  shot  because  I  wanted  it  to  look  threatening  and  intimidating.  To  me,  it  represents  the  future.  You’re  unsure  of  what’s  going  to  happen,  and  it  makes  you  feel  scared  and  intimidated.  The  building  follows  the  rule  of  thirds  to  make  the  shot  more  interesting.                                                Kelsey  Pepmeier