rsc east midlands in brief series tablet devices
Post on 08-Jul-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONThis presentation accompanies a short session on tablet devices in education.
Go to View > Header & Footer to edit * | slide *RSCs Stimulating and supporting innovation in learningTablet deviceswww.rsc-em.ac.uk
Go to View > Header & Footer to edit
* | slide *Tablet devices
Tablet featuresMany tablets becoming available from Apple, Dell, Motorola, Samsung.2 flavours of operating system Apple iOS and AndroidLight, portable devices with a touch screen interfaceDesigned as personal devices easy to hold, rest on lap, instantly on.
* | slide *
Tablet features 2Designed for internet access, email, reading e-books and multimediaUses wi-fi or phone sim to connectOn-screen typingLong battery lifeNot a laptop replacement and there are some technical/operational issues with networks and sharing devicesOn screen keyboard not universally populariPad doesnt do Flash movies
* | slide *
* | slide *Easy to handleAlways onTouch controlPrice (?)Battery lifeApplications (Apps)Some good pointsUser experiencePortabilityWorkflow
* | slide *Sharing among usersEducation content?As a PC/laptop(?)Adding to your networkTyping lotsNot so good forNo Flash on ipadLoss/damage(?)Adding some types of content
* | slide *ComparisonsFor example, ipad vs GalaxyThe iPad is undoubtedly slicker and simpler. If you're looking for a tablet to keep on your coffee table, and let you browse the Web on the sofa, the iPad is king. But, if you're a person about town and want something more nimble yet more feature-packed, the Galaxy Tab will make a fine companion.CNET review
* | slide *Want to try a tablet out?
Come to the RSC East Midlands e-Fair 2011
East Midlands Conference Centre, Nottingham23rd June
* | slide *For more email@example.com
********User experience usability, accessibility uses, multimedia, more engaging experience
Applications in special education and for disabilities e.g. usability of touch screen
Increasing number of applications for creating stuff - not just a device for consuming contentGood multimedia experience (but no Flash support on ipads!)
**Not easy to set up as devices to be shared among students (yet). e.g. limitations/complications with multiple profilesNot a laptop lots of implications e.g. technical issues in setting up in a college or similar; no Microsoft OfficeVirtual keyboard not so good for long passages of typingLack of suitable eBooks for education (this is likely to improve)********