Post on 07-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Dessert Time By: Mitchell M. Kouchi Computer 9
- 2. What is Americas Favorite Dessert?
- 3. Well, to tell you the truth, America doesnt have one specific favorite dessert. We have many memorable, and great tasting dessert.
- 4. Ice Cream
- The first Ice Cream Parlor in America opened in New York City in 1776
- Ice Creams name comes from the phrase Iced Cream
- Ice mixed with salt helps to lower and control the temperature of the ice cream ingredients during its making.
- Another invention is the wooden bucket freezer with rotary paddles
- 5. Jell-O
- In 1845 was the first patent for a gelatin
- Jell-O is made from gelatin
- Gelatin = Processed version of a structural protein called collagen found in many animals including humans.
- The Jell-O we eat is made from artificial flavors, food coloring, and collagen from cows and pigs
- 6. Cheesecake
- Used to be served to the athletes during the first Olympic Games
- Made of a crust, filling, and sour cream/cream cheese/cottage cheese topping
- Technically cheesecake is a Pie/Custard, not a cake.
- Types include:
- New York
- 7. Mochi
- A Japanese rice cake
- Made by pounding glutinous rice into a paste and molding it into shapes
- Used to make sweets, or cooked in soups
- Mochi is traditionally made in a ceremony called mochitsuki.
- 8. Malasadas
- Malasadas are also known as a Portuguese doughnut, and Malassadas.
- Originated in Sao-Miguel
- Leonard's was the first commercially made Malasada in Hawaii
- Malasadas are deep fried dough rolled in sugar
- 9. Chocolate Cake
- Similar to devils food cake probably because of its the contrast of angel food cake
- Types include:
- Upside Down Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Cake
- Tunnel of Fudge Cake
- Chocolate is made from beans of a Cacao Tree
- The trees grow in the tropics and the pods grow bigger than a foot
- 10. Apple Pie
- Apple Pie came from England who started it in the 1400s as meat pies (pies with meat)
- The pie was baked so the top crust could come off so sugar and spices could be added
- A basic Apple Pie contains uncooked apples, fat, sugar, and sweet spices mixed together
- By the 15 th century Apple Pies mad in Rome were made by popular apples like the Pippins, Pomewaters, Bittersweets, and Blanderelles
- 11. Shave Ice
- Unlike a snow cone, its freshly grated, which makes it lighter and flakier. This allows it to absorb more flavor
- Japanese plantation workers started Shave Ice in Hawaii around the 1880s by shaving blocks of ice and drenching it in syrup
- Popular Flavors Include:
- Li-Hing Mui
- Bubble Gum
- You could add azuki beans or ice cream on the bottom, or condensed milk on top
- 12. Yogurt
- Yogurt gives your body valuable nutrients like calcium, protein, and vitamin B2
- Yogurt is full of bacteria that can
- Relieve the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome
- Help prevent urinary tract infections
- Helps prevent osteoporosis
- Restores balance in your bodys yeast levels, preventing yeast infections
- Keeps bones strong
- 13. Statistics Yay!
- 16. Work Cited About. 18 June 2010. About. 18 June 2010. About. 20 June 2010. Hub Pages. 19 June 201. Leonard's Hawaii. 20 June 2010 Moms Like Me. 18 June 2010. My Home Cooking. 20 June 2010 New World Encyclopedia. 19 June 2010 < http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Mochi> Recipe Hut. 19 June 2010 Whats Cooking America. 20 June 2010 < http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/ShaveIce.htm > Etc. . . . . . . . .
View more >