Carbon sequestration in soil
out of 12
Post on 16-Aug-2015
- 1. CARBON SEQUESTRATION IN SOIL Guide: Dr. S. Mahesh Presented By: Mayur R. (USN:4JC11EV020) DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING, SJCE, MYSURU
- 2. Objectives Of Carbon Sequestration in soil Developing technologies to reduce rate of concentration of greenhouse gases in air. Reducing pollutants in air as well as improving natural carbon content in soil . Improvement of soil structure and restoring degraded soil leading to increase yield in crops .
- 3. What is a greenhouse gas ? A gas which absorbs and emits radiation is called greenhouse gas (GHG) Lists of GHG and their sources GHG SOURCES Carbon dioxide Burning fossil fuels Methane Wetlands , landfills, rice fields Nitrous oxide vehicular emission, industry CFCs Refrigerators, aerosol spray Ozone Nox , Voc, heat & sunlight
- 4. One proposed method to reduce this carbon dioxide in air is by storing/capturing the carbon by converting the carbon into stable form this process is called CARBON SEQUESTRATION. Methods to sequester carbon : Oceanic sequestration Geological injection Mineral carbonation Terrestrial sequestration
- 5. CASE STUDY 1 (Rolf Sommer et al.,2014 international center for tropical agriculture, kenya) It discusses about the sequestration of carbon in soil at global level according to SRES-A2(special report on environment scenario). This type of dynamics can be used for predicting sequestration rate for both agricultural crop(arable land) and grass land areas (meadows).
- 6. SOC SEQUESTERED OVER THE YEARS(Rolf Sommer., et al2014)
- 7. Determination of Soil organic carbon SOC = SOCo + ( ( a / (1+ e^(t - to/b) ) a & b are empirical constants, SOCo is initial organic content in soil, t & to are time expressed in years .
- 8. CASE STUDY 2 (R lal ,.2007carbon management & sequestration ,USA) It states that carbon sequestration implies to transfer of CO2 into other long lived carbon pools. Some of the carbon pools are: scrubbing & mineral carbonation Bio fuels(Himmel et al.,2007) Biotic sequestration
- 9. CASE STUDY 3(Kenneth r et al,.2014 Treatment to determine SOC) In this paper they discuss about land management practices need to be done for a better sequestration of carbon into soil , some of the methods are : Conventional tillage Crop rotation Mulch tillage Carbon farming
- 10. Conventional tillage Mulch tillage
- 11. Futuristic implications As mentioned in SRES-A2 (IPCC,2007) agricultural and grassland areas can be used to sequester carbon into soil in INDIA. Recommended management practices can be implemented Cover crops help in reducing soil erosion Dead sugar plant can be use in generating bio fuels .
- 12. REFERENCES: Ecological Society of America (ESA) Rolf Sommer et al.,2014 international center for tropical agriculture, kenya. R lal ,.2007carbon management & sequestration ,USA. 3(Kenneth r et al,.2014 Treatment to determine SOC.
View more >
SOIL ORGANIC CARBON SEQUESTRATION POTENTIALS Work.pdf i soil organic carbon sequestration potentials
Ecosystem Services and Carbon Sequestration in the Biosphere || Soil Organic Carbon, Soil Formation and Soil Fertility