building relationships using email marketing
Post on 13-Jan-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONSeminar for new business start ups on using email for relationships, full also of basic email principles
- 1. Email Marketing How to build relationships with Email August 2010
2. Why Choose Email for Marketing?
- Cost Effective
- Environmentally Friendly
3. Planning, Strategy &Objective Setting
- Essentially it boils down to
- Who you are you sending it to?
- What do you want to tell them?
- Why will they be interested?
- What do you expect them to do as a result?
4. Types of Email Marketing
- Email can be used to meet a number of different
- objectives; sales, brand building, events...
5. Cant Anybody Do It?
- Technically yes, but you need to consider:
- Data Protection
6. Software Options
- Self service
- Low cost per message
- Time intensive
- Entry level to Enterprise
- e.g. MailAway
- Fully managed
- Potentially higher cost
- Hassle Free
- More professional output
- e.g Jarrang
7. Customer Opt-In
- If you havent already got suitable data on your
- customers youll need to start collecting it.
- Opt in suggestions:
- Data capture
- Incentives and competitions
- Website signup
- Member get member
8. Data Capture Forms 9. Correlation Between Information Requested & Sign-Ups Behaviour, not demographics 10. Spam and Why Its a Problem
- Spam is the opposite of good quality email marketing!
- Hide their identity
- Accept a minimal conversion rate
- Rip people off and disappear
- Legitimate Email Marketers:
- Use email to build their brand
- Send messages that are of value to recipients
- Build long-term, mutually beneficial relationships
Over 80% of sent email is estimated to be spam 11. Creating Relevant& Engaging Content
- Although you may have permission to send
- someone email, the real question is will
- they want to receive it?
- Spam is not just a legal issue
- Put yourself in your customers shoes
- How would I feel?
- Content should reflect the personalnature of email
Relevance and interaction 12. Some tactics
- Dependant on your customer base
- Balance sell/ inform/ entertain
- Implement welcome messages
- Offer something worthwhile (relevance)
- Encourage feedback and interaction
- Link to social media and sharing
13. Tracking and Reporting Results
- Email reports contain a number of important terms
- which explain the most recent results for each
- campaign you send
Monitor, review and improve 14. Tracking and Reporting Results 15. Analysing and Improving Performance
- Learn from the results:
- Low sent % - issues with data quality e.g duplicates
- High bounce % - issues with data entry/age of data
- Low open % - quality of content and relevance
- Low click % - layout and quality of offer
- Unsubscribes - expected initially - later on an early warning your emails dont add value - look at content and frequency before you lose your list!
16. Taking Reporting Further 17. Taking Reporting Further 18. Any Questions?