anzltc14: higher education - broaching badges - bond university
out of 26
Post on 22-Apr-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONANZLTC14: Higher Education - Broaching Badges - Bond University
- 1. BROACHING BADGES The Perception of Achievements and Badges in Higher Education Lauren Hives, eLearning Applications Administrator Bond University Connect with me on Twitter @AshLauH
- 2. ABOUT ME Ive worked in L&T in higher education for around 15 years. My background is in Multimedia Design I am a current student I have at least 10 max level World of Warcraft characters o.0
- 3. Y E P I WA S A B R OWN I E
- 4. O K WE L L I N E V E R S A I D I WA S GOOD AT IT!
- 5. ABOUT THE RESEARCH Games Culture student paper Perception of Gamification Perception of Badges Application in Education Minimal prompting Educators and Students, Gamers and Non-Gamers 43 Educator responses and 187 Student responses 77 Males and 108 Females
- 6. ABOUT THE PARTICIPANTS Students 60% 18-24 90% 5 years Less but more frequently Digital Australia 2014 (Brand et. al.) Average age of gamers in Australia is 32 with 47% female and 76% over 18
- 7. WHY PLAY VIDEO GAMES? Students 60% 18-24 90% 5 years Less but more frequently Digital Australia 2014 (Brand et. al.) 85% of Gamers say games reduce stress FUN MENTAL RELAX RELAX
- 8. Audience feedback WHAT IS GAMIFICATION? I S I T A BAD WORD?
- 9. GAMIFICATION BACKLASH Confusion and theory vs. practice Common implementations a topping rather than a key ingredient Focus on rewards (not challenges, problem-solving and mastery) Not just behaviour modification through rewards
- 10. What is it?
- 11. GAMI F ICATION: PLACE IN EDUCATION?
- 12. FEELINGS IN HIGHER-ED?
- 13. FEELINGS IN HIGHER-ED?
- 14. Audience feedback WHAT IS A BADGE? PHY S I CAL VS . DIGI TAL
- 15. WHAT IS A BADGE? its a shortcut to some data about its owner. But that data could be assumed, presumed, culturally-specific, contextually-specific and more
- 16. SHORTCUTS & BAGGAGE History of Badges Military & Authority A Genealogy of Badges by Alexander MC Halavais What does the badge represent?
- 17. BADGES BENEF ICIAL TO STUDIES? STUDENTS 60% 14% Uncertain EDUCATORS 33% 35% Uncertain
- 18. A C H I E V EME N T S WO U L D Motivate me to do more Improve my learning Reduce my ownership Be a reward Change the peer dynamic Acknowledgement of own learning Are inconsequential to learning Make learning more interesting Make me feel vulnerable or exposed Fill a gap in recognition of skills and traits Are another form of assessment Help set and achieve learning goals Help me identify learning outcomes ? - Students - Educators - Generally Agree or Strongly Agree - Generally Agree or Uncertain - Generally Disagree or Strongly Disagree - Generally Uncertain or Disagree
- 19. WHAT I S MOS T S IGNI F I CANT ABOUT A BADGE OF ACHI E V EMENT ? 1. Difficulty 2. Relevance 3. Challenge 4. Type 5. Issuer 1. Challenge 2. Difficulty 3. Type 4. Issuer 5. Usefulness employability
- 20. SHARING Who would you share with? 1. Family 2. Friends 3. Peers 4. Prospective employers No one - 6th Who should they share with? 1. Colleagues 2. Peers 3. Prospective employers 4. Friends No one Tied last
- 21. BENEFITS AND CONCERNS Benefits Detriments/Concerns Motivation and engagement Improved learning through multiple means, simulation and application Enhanced recognition & feedback Anti-boredom or fun Motivation through competition Stress reduction Increased creativity Distraction / focus off content Anti-reality / bad habits Dis-incentive for students who prefer intrinsic motivation Relevance to content and learning Over-competiviteness Forced participation Issuer, Criteria, Evidence, Assessor Time-consuming or waste Negative emotions eg. depression, isolation
- 22. SUMMARY Curiosity no.1 feeling! General willingness to explore the possibilities Concern about implementation Ability to apply learning theory to issues of gamification and achievements in higher education even if they didnt know it! Its about the journey the story behind the badge.
- 23. 100 read email achievement unlocked woo-hoo, tick that one up on the resume IMPLEMENTATION
- 24. BADGES FOR DESIGNERS Is there some sacrifice required? Is it meaningful and relevant? Is it a challenge? What does it signify in context? What does it signify out of context? Is it overpowering? Does it require a learning process? Are there ethical considerations?
- 25. BADGES FOR INSTITUTIONS Who is issuing the badge and what does that mean? Who can see it? Who can interpret it? What is the criteria and is it evident? Is there an expiry? Who is assessing it?
- 26. BROACHING BADGES The Perception of Achievements and Badges in Higher Education Lauren Hives, eLearning Applications Administrator Bond University Connect with me on Twitter @AshLauH
View more >
Broaching Deburring Automation metal cutting machine tools used for broaching and deburring applications,
Broaching - iSwiss ?· 9 Broaching Wobble Broaches External Broach Adapter For Adapting U175.2... and…
• TECHNIICAtFOCUS The Broaching of ?? TECHNIICAtFOCUS _ The Broaching of Gears lOon KOSBII 48 GEAI!…
S MMARY - BROACHING TOOLS - ?· Broaching Chamfering Dimensions DIN Type SH117 Holder can be located…