2011 june 17 this week in mc&fp (1)
out of 10
Post on 05-Dec-2014
- 1. http://www.health.mil/blog/10-06-24/Family_Resiliency_Webinar.aspx. This Week in MC&FP June 17, 2011 _________________________________ On Sunday, well celebrate our fathers. The day of special recognition was requestedin 1909 by Mrs. John B. Dodd of Spokane, Washington, in honor of her father, William Smart. Smartwas a Civil War veteran and widowed father of six. He raised all six children alone on a rural farm ineast Washington State. The first celebration was held a year later and by tradition , annually on thethird Sunday in June. On this 101st celebration of Fathers Day, we salute all the fathers, fatherfigures, and men who serve as role models to our nation. We send our thanks and best wishes for awonderful day.Have a good week and take care. Please note: Some hyperlinks in this text are lengthy, sometimes extending more than one line. For bestresults, cut and paste the entire link into your Web browser.From the DASD, Robert L. Gordon IIIFrom DoD Live Family Focus Friday Royal Couple at Hiring Fair in Los AngelesTwo weeks ago, I first told you about a special opportunity for our military spouses in the southernCalifornia area and nearby military installations seeking jobs and careers: the Hiring Our Heroes LosAngeles hiring fair. Today, I am pleased to say that Their Royal Highnesses, Prince William, Duke ofCambridge, and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, will be participating in both the hiring fair and aservice project!What connection does the Royal Couple have with military families? Many Americans may not realizethat Prince William is a search and rescue helicopter pilot in the Royal Air Force, which means thatCatherine is also a military spouse! Their focus is to help raise awareness and support for the servicemen and women, and their families in both Great Britain and the United States who have proudlyserved and to assist in re-integration and employment efforts of veterans and military families. It isboth an honor and a thrill to have them join us. See http://www.dodlive.mil/index.php/2011/06/family-focus-friday-royal-couple-at-hiring-our-heroes-fair-in-los-angeles/From DoDEA DoDEA Leaders to Appear on Military Mom Talk Radio Marilee Fitzgerald, DoDEAs acting director; Charlie Toth, deputy director, DoDEA; and Kathy Facon, branch chief, DoDEA educational partnership will participate in an interview on Military Mom Talk Radio. The show will focus on how education is critical to military families as a quality Providing policy, tools, and resources to further enhance the quality of life of service members and their families.
- 2. This Week in MC&FP June 17, 2011 of life factor, parents roles in positioning students for success in school, and preparing for the next school year transitioning from summer to school. The broadcast will take place at 5:00 p.m. (EST) on Monday, June 20. To access the broadcast on line visit: http://militarymomtalkradio.wordpress.com/ DoDEA 2011/2012 School Calendars Now Available Online DoDEA school calendars for the 2011/12 school year are now posted online. Calendars for DoDDS schools are posted at www.dodea.edu/home/calendars.cfm . For DDESS schools visit: www.am.dodea.edu/ddessasc/aboutddess/areasycalendar.html. Educational Partnership Team Hosts Third Special Ed Professional Development Seminar DoDEAs Educational Partnership provided a third special education professional development seminar for educators at Fort Carson, Colorado. The mission of the partnership program is to champion quality educational opportunities for military children by providing resources and support to military-connected local education agencies. The summer professional development opportunities are based on a set of 16 special education training modules developed by Cambium Learning Group for DoDEA to distribute to military-connected local education activities. DoDEA hosted two prior events at schools with large military-connected student populations in Killeen, Texas, and in Okaloosa County, Florida, and in August will host one more professional development session this summer in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Continuous professional growth opportunities are critical for enhancing the repertoire of strategies, skills and competencies of educators. DoDEA values the professional educator as most important in achieving exemplary learning opportunities for our students. During the summer, scores of DoDEA teachers will be engaged in summer training to enhance their skills and to strengthen their teaching abilities.From the Office of Family Policy/Children and Youth New Money Management Campaign PSAs Debuts on AFN Four new 30-second public service spots and four 15-second cutdown versions began airing on Armed Forces Network June 16. The PSAs were created by DoDs Radio and Television Production Office using an online animation program. To view the PSAs, click on this link: http://www.dma.mil/rtpo/money_management/ OPM Releases New Federal Ballpark E$timateR For Civil Servants The Federal Ballpark E$timate includes projected Federal annuity and Thrift Savings Plan benefits to help civil servants quickly identify approximately how much is needed to save to fund a comfortable retirement. The Federal Ballpark E$timate can be used by employees covered by the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS), CSRS-Offset, or the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS) who plan to retire under the voluntary age and service rules. The current version does not perform estimates for employees planning to retire under the Minimum Retirement Age + 10 rules, or those who are covered by special computation rules such as law enforcement officers and firefighters, or formerPage 2
- 3. This Week in MC&FP June 17, 2011 Federal employees who may be entitled to a deferred retirement. To determine your own ballpark estimate, see http://www.opm.gov/retire/tools/calculators/ballpark/ballparkintro.asp. Military OneSource Webinars June Topics Include Spouse Career Info, Keeping Kids Safe Online Webinars are Web-based training sessions using teleconference audio and the Internet to deliver an interactive seminar. All posted times are listed in Eastern Daylight Savings Time. For more information, see http://www.militaryonesource.com/MOS/OnlineCommunity/Webinars.aspx - The Spouse Career Center: Your Success is Our Mission Tuesday, June 21, 2011 at 10:00 a.m., Eastern Time Achieving your career and educational goals when you move frequently can be a challenge. Whether youre changing jobs because of PCS or starting a new career, we can help you and your family prepare for the changes ahead. Let Military OneSource help smooth the way with information about portable work options, flexible college options, licensing, and where to find job postings. Join us for an overview of the Military OneSource Spouse Career Center services. Learn about who we serve, the assistance we can provide, and the benefits of working with a Spouse Career Center consultant as you move ahead in your education and career goals. - Writing a Resume that will Lead to Interview Success Friday, June 24, 2011 at 1:00 p.m., Eastern Time Have you ever considered that your resume writing and interview preparation are your communication to the employer that you are the right candidate for the job? Military spouses offer a unique set of skills, but many spouses are unsure about how to communicate those skills on a resume. This webinar will help you build a resume employers will want to see and prepare you to make a good first impression on your interview. Join us for a Spouse Career Center sponsored event where well discuss the purpose of the resume, resume formats, essential features, and more. - Keeping Kids Safe Online Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 11:00 a.m., Eastern Time Start early when talking to your kids about being online. After all, even toddlers see their parents use all kinds of devices. As soon as your child is using a computer, a cell phone, or any mobile device, its time to talk to them about online behavior, safety, and security. As a parent, you have the opportunity to talk to your child about whats important before anyone else does. Join us for an informative sessions where we discuss helping kids improve their digital literacy, including staying safe online and being good digital citizens.Page 3
- 4. This Week in MC&FP June 17, 2011From the Resale and NAF Policy Office Commissary On-Site Sale Events The Guard/Reserve On-site Sales Program provides the commissary benefit to deserving Guard/Reserve members and their families who live in areas that arent close to an existing commissary store. These sales are not only for the Guard and Reserve theyre for any authorized shopper. Currently, there are no on-site sales for online ordering. For more information, visit http://www.commissaries.com/guard_reserve_sales.cfm In the next few weeks, DeCA will deliver the benefit: June 24-26 155th Brigade Combat Team Tupelo, Miss. July 9-10 Guard and Reserve Martinsburg, W. Va. July 9-10 Guard and Reserve Williamstown, W. Va. July 15-17 Guard and Reserve Springfield, Ore. July 16-17 Guard and Reserve Chadron, Neb. July 21-24 Guard and Reserve Chattanooga, Tenn. July 22-23 Guard and Reserve Riverton, Utah July 22-24 Guard and Reserve Aquadilla, Puerto Rico July 30-31 West Virginia National Guard McConnelsville, Ohio July 30-31 Guard and Reserve Plattsburgh, N.Y. Note for the Plattsburgh event: Pre-order only. Orders must be placed by June 23, 2011In the News From the Family Matters Blog Obama Salutes Military Dads With Fathers Day nearly at hand, President Barack Obama took time to single out military dads yesterday, thanking them for their service to the nation. Thank you for your dedication, he told the dads gathered for a special screening of the Disney-Pixar movie Cars 2 on the White House complex. And when I say thank you, its not just to those in uniform; its to the families as well who are also serving. We could not be more proud of you, he added, and we are grateful because you help not only to keep us secure, but also keep us free. See http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=64350 From the American Forces Press Service First Lady Urges Hollywood, Tell Military Family Stories The entertainment industry can help to shine the light on military families by incorporating their compelling stories into movies and television, First Lady Michelle Obama said yesterday during a panel discussion hosted by the entertainment guilds in Los Angeles. Speaking to an audience of about 500 producers, writers, actors and directors, the first lady discussed her "Joining Forces" military-support campaign and how Hollywood can play a role in her quest to stir up national support for military families. Writer-director J.J. Abrams, who moderated the panel, kicked off the discussion by asking Obama what sparked her passion for military family support. See http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=64300 and the DoD video clip at http://www.dodvclips.mil/?pid=ga1OeYiTX_cY1hcCDUshNSnI76Ox7opR .Page 4
- 5. This Week in MC&FP June 17, 2011 From the Family Matters Blog The Perfect Fathers Day Gift Luckily my husband isnt as high maintenance about Fathers Day as I am about Mothers Day. As in, he truly means it when he says, "Dont get me anything." Mike honestly is happy with a nice breakfast (French toast) and working in the yard with his two helpers to celebrate. However, I still quest to find inventive, personal gifts to show him how much we appreciate him. Unfortunately, finding "the perfect gift" usually means it comes down to the wire, leaving me searching into June. Knowing that some of you might be in the same boat still looking for that elusive perfect gift here is a list of goodies that the man in your life might appreciate . See http://us.mg6.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.rand=9se42a90hv36l From the American Forces Press Service Dr. Biden Urges Cable Industry Support Dr. Jill Biden, wife of Vice President Joe Biden, last night called on the cable television industry to use its vast reach to help educate the public about military families and rally national support for the very best of our country. Biden, speaking at the National Cable and Telecommunications Associations annual convention in Chicago, echoed the message first lady Michelle Obama took to Hollywood earlier this week. The cable industry is uniquely positioned to help Americans learn more about the challenges and needs of military families and to showcase the families strength, resilience and service to our nation, Biden told the assembly. See http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=64356 From the American Forces Press Service Gates, Mullen Protect Family Programs Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates told the service chiefs to fence two areas in the budget options the military is contemplating: training and family programs. I dont want any money taken out of those, he told the Senate Appropriations Committee today. See http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=64338 From the American Forces Press Service DoD Libraries Launch Summer Reading Program Defense Department libraries have launched a summer reading program in the hopes of inspiring children and adults of all ages to read throughout the summer. Visitors to libraries on 270 military installations around the world are invited to join A Midsummer Knights Read, an activity-packed reading program with a medieval twist. The idea is to encourage kids to come in and see the library and look at the books and other materials, [and to] en...
View more >
Notice Paper for Friday 17 June 2011 - Queensland Notice Paper for Friday, 17 June 2011 : ... Sharia or Islamic law is routinely used all over the world in Muslim ... who was killed this week leading his unit in ...
Week 1 June 13-17 - Amazon Web Services ?· 2011-06-17 · Week 1 June 13-17 Mermaids and Monsters 8:30…