why to know statistics
Post on 28-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Why to know statistics
- To understand data
- One of your colleague is an oncology surgeon
- 60% of his cases died
- Does this mean that he is a looser!!
- We should ask what are the results of his colleagues insimilarpatients
- How many patients he operated upon e.g 2/3!!!!
- To summarize data
- Diastolic Blood pressure
7. Vital for research
- Without the use of statistics it would be very difficult to make decisions based on the data collected from a research project
8. Statistical steps in research
- Collect data
- Organise data
- Analyse data
- Interpret the data
- Present the data
9. How to read the results
- An understanding of basic statistics will provide you with the fundamental skills necessary to read and evaluate results section in published papers
10. Are groups comparable!!!
- the baseline characteristics of the groups being studied should be comparable
- If not, they should be adjusted for differences
11. statistical tests
- Are they frequently used tests!!
- If not, why!!
- Are the data analysed according to the original protocol?
- Wasfollow- up complete?
- Patients lost to follow-up loss of subjects bias
- > 10% - 15 % ..invalid results
14. P value
- A P value of