2012.0115am why know the bible
out of 11
Post on 01-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
- 2. Why Know the Bible?
- 3. To Have Everlasting Life
- In praying to the Father, Jesus said
- And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent(Jn. 17:3)
- The Bible is the only source of perfect, saving knowledge of God & Christ.
- 4. To Know the Greatest Book Ever Written
- The best book because God is its author!
- 40 penmen, but only 1 Author
- All the writers were moved by the Spirit (2 Pet. 1:21)
- It is God-breathed & throughly equips one to serve God (2 Tim. 3:16-17)
- No other book can compare with the Bible it is truly Gods book!
- 5. To Know Who You Are
- Where did I come from? Why am I here? Where am I going?
- All answered only in the Bible
- We are a product of divine creation, not evolution
- God made man in His image
- Morally responsible, living soul (Gen. 1:26-27; 2:7)
- Our mission:
- Glorify God
- Become as Godlike as possible in preparation for judgment (Rom. 14:11-12)
- 6. To Be Saved from Sin
- The Bible is the only book whose main message is the salvation of sinners.
- The Bible alone answers the worlds greatest question:
- What must I do to be saved?
- The Bible tells us the Father sent the Son to be the Savior of the world (1 Jn. 4:14)
- He saves sinners by His gospel (Rom. 1:16)
- Therefore, we must go & tell others (Mk. 16:15-16)
- 7. To Identify the Church of Jesus & Know Its Importance
- When one obeys the gospel & is baptized into Christ, he is born from above (Jn. 3:3-5)
- When one is born from above, he is added to the church (Acts 2:47; 1 Pet. 3:21; Titus 3:5)
- The church is the body of Christ (Eph. 1:22-23)
- There is but one body (Eph. 4:4)
- In the NT, members of the Lords church were Christians only (Acts 11:26) & the only Christians
- 8. To Find the Christian Way of Life, Worship, & Service
- The Bible is the only doctrine of the New Testament church.
- The Bible alone furnishes Gods servant completely unto all good works (2 Tim. 3:16-17; 2 Pet. 1:3).
- The inspired Bible teaches us that
- Denying ungodliness & worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, & godly, in this present world (Titus 2:12)
- 9. To Reach the Highest Goal in Life
- What is that goal?
- The prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus (Phil. 3:14)
- Paul counted all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord (Phil. 3:8).
- All of us should strive to be like Paul, who at the end could say
- For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day (2 Timothy 4:6-8)
- 10. Give me the Bible, star of gladness gleaming, To cheer the wandrer lone and tempest tossed; No storm can hide that radiance peaceful beaming, Since Jesus came to seek and save the lost. Give me the Bible, when my heart is broken, When sin and grief have filled my soul with fear; Give me the precious words by Jesus spoken, Hold up faiths lamp to show my Savior near. Give me the Bible, all my steps enlighten, Teach me the danger of these realms below; That lamp of safety oer the gloom shall brighten, That light alone the path of peace can show. Give me the Bible, lamp of life immortal, Hold up that splendor by the open grave; Show me the light from Heavens shining portal, Show me the glory gilding Jordans wave. [Refrain] Give me the Bible, holy message shining; Thy light shall guide me in the narrow way; Precept and promise, law and love combining, Till night shall vanish in eternal day.
View more >