top ten reasons to join ala
Post on 18-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONLearn about the Top Ten reasons to join ALA, as reported by over 9,000 of our members in a recent survey, and see how you can help make a difference, too, for libraries.
- 1. ww.ala.org
2. www.ala.org The "Top Ten" Reasons for Joining the American Library Association 3. www.ala.org What ALA does for our members, their libraries, and the public we serve. 4.
- ALA analyzes government policy in areas such as copyright and supports legislation promoting access to information.
Policy Analysis ala.org 5.
- ALA member committees represent library interests in state and federal contexts.
Policy Analysis ala.org 6. ala.org ALA works to increase the visibility of libraries, library workers and library issues.Public Awareness and Media Relations 7. ala.org This includes an ongoing public awareness campaign that communicates the value of libraries and library staff and provides tools and materials needed to promote the librarys message on a national basis and in the local community. Public Awareness and Media Relations 8.
- ALAs eleven divisions and 17 round tables focus on specific types of libraries and specific types of library activities and provide members with information and services tailored to their needs.
Divisions and Round Tables ala.org 9.
- You can make professional and personal connections that last a lifetime through ALA membership.
ala.org Divisions and Round Tables 10.
- ALA provides opportunities to interact with professional colleagues electronically or face-to-face so they can share knowledge and best practices to advance the profession.
Networking ala.org 11.
- Members like you are leaders in sharing new ideas through publications, conference presentations and through ALA Connect, our social network.
Networking ala.org 12.
- ALAs website provides ready access to ALA news, information, and tools and services.
Website ala.org 13.
- Over 150 blogs, wikis and social media/outreach pages are built by members for members and the public.
Website ala.org 14.
- ALA develops standards and guidelines designed to improve library service.
Standards ala.org 15.
- Be a part of setting the standards that impact services and outcomes across all library types.
Standards ala.org 16.
- ALA promotes and defends intellectual freedom in libraries at the local, state and federal levels.
Intellectual Freedom ala.org 17.
- Librarians have always been defenders of these rights.
Intellectual Freedom ala.org 18.
- ALA members are active in the fight for these freedoms.
Intellectual Freedom ala.org 19.
- ALA provides continuing education in a variety of formats and venues, including conferences, workshops, institutes, teleconferences and web courses.
Continuing Education ala.org 20.
- Come to learn, or bring your knowledge, skills and enthusiasm as a CE instructor.
Continuing Education ala.org 21.
- ALA offers an accreditation program that provides assurance that graduate programs in library and information studies meet approved standards of quality.
Accreditation ala.org 22.
- Member reviewers ensure that the next generation of librarians and school librarians are ready for new challenges.
Accreditation ala.org 23.
- ALA works to increase federal funding for libraries and works to promote state and federal legislation of benefit to libraries and library users.
Legislative Advocacy ala.org 24.
- Members like you make the difference in D.C.Help tell Congress about the value of libraries in our society.
Legislative Advocacy ala.org 25. Join ALA today and participate in these important initiatives:ala.org Members have a unique chance through ALA to make a difference - personally and professionally. Visitwww.ala.org/jointo get started today. 26. The "Top Ten" Reasons for Joining ALA 10. Policy Analysis9. Public Awareness and Media Relations 8. Divisions and Round Tables 7. Networking 6. Website Resources 5. Standards 4. Intellectual Freedom 3. Continuing Education 2. Accreditation 1. Legislative Advocacy ala.org 27. www.ala.org