t3 b15 dos-dod statements on terrorism 1 of 2 fdr- reports- transcripts- info- 1st pgs for reference

Upload: 911-document-archive

Post on 30-May-2018

Category:

Documents

0 download

TRANSCRIPT

• 8/14/2019 T3 B15 DOS-DOD Statements on Terrorism 1 of 2 Fdr- Reports- Transcripts- Info- 1st Pgs for Reference

1/12

DOS & DODSTATEMENTS

ONTERRORISM, THE

TALIBAN, UBL, ANDAL QAEDA

• 8/14/2019 T3 B15 DOS-DOD Statements on Terrorism 1 of 2 Fdr- Reports- Transcripts- Info- 1st Pgs for Reference

2/12

Daily Press Briefing fo r August 7 Transcript Page 1 of 11

U . S . D E P A R T M E N T o f S T A T EAiiout thtState Dept.

[Print Friendly Versionl

Daily Press BriefingRichard Boucher, SpokesmanW ashington, DCAugust 7, 2001INDEX:

DEPARTMENT1 Third Anniversary of Embassy Bombings in East Africa2-3TERRORISM1-2

Embassy Security

US Efforts to Combat Terrorism / Sanctions Against TalibanAFGHANISTAN3-4 Arrest of Employees From Humanitarian Organization, Shelter NowISRAEL / PALESTINIANS4-95-6,911-1211-12YEMEN10-11EGYPT12-13

US Policy on Violence and Mitchell Report RecommendationsLetter from Chairman Arafat and Nabil Sha'athUS Co ntacts with Israeli and P alestinian O fficialsInflammatory Statements in Region

USS C ole Inves tigative Team / S ecurity Situation

Missile TechnologyNORTH KOREA / RUSSIA13 Russian Talks with Kim JongRUSSIA13 Russian Officials' Meeting at the PentagonMACEDONIA13-14 Political Talks / Police Raid Near SkopjeBELARUS14 Seizures of Foreign PropertyNORTHERN IRELAND14-15 Developments on Disarmament

http://ww w.state.gov/r7pa/prs/dpb/2001 /44 56.htm 4/7/2004

3/12

DoD News: Secretary of Defense Donald Rum sfeld Interview on Fox New s Sunday Page 1 of 5

United States Department of Defense.News TranscriptOn the web: http://www.defenselink.mil/cgi-bin/dlprint.cgi?http://www.defenselink.mil/transcripts/20Q l/t02122001_t0211 fox.htmlMedia contact: +1 (703) 697-5131Public contact: http://www.dod.mil/faq/comment.html or +1 (703) 428-0711

Presenter: Secretary of Defen se Donald H. Rum sfeld Sunday, February 11, 2001

Secretary of Defense Donald R um sfeld Interview on Fox News Sunday(Interview by Tony Snow on Fox News Sunday)Snow: And now, we're happy to welcome Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld. Secretary Rumsfeld,welcome.Rumsfeld: Thank you.Snow: Yesterday, a submarine bursting through the Pacific Ocean a U.S. submarine splinteringbasically a Japanese ship. What happened?Rumsfeld: W ell, that's w hat the investigation w ill have to determine. It was a terrible traged y, we knowthat. And there is still a search-and-rescue operation taking place to try to find the missing people.The captain the skipper of the submarine has been relieved of duty, and the investigation's goingforward. I've spoken to the minister of defense of Japan, Mr. Saito, and Secretary Pow ell has spoken tothe foreign minister, and expressed the apologizes and regrets of the United States.Snow: Wouldn't it be a better idea, at this point, maybe to think about doing some of that training alittle further from shore? It was only 10 miles from the shore of Hawaii.Rumsfeld: Certainly that issue and other issues w ill be examined very carefully.Snow: All right. Com ing up this week, the point of emphasis for the Bush administration is going to benational security and national defense. On the campaign trail, Vice President Dick Ch eney said, help ison the way. But help doesn't mean m ore mo ney, does it?Rumsfeld: W ell, it may indeed. Indeed, the president of the United States has indicated recently that heintends to have a one billion-plus pay increase for the m en and wo men in the armed services.What he has also said is that he would like me an d the Department of Defense to und ertake a defensestrategy review, and a focus on quality of life issues for the men and wom en in the Armed Services.And we have put that in motion.On Mo nday, the president w ill be at Fort S tewart in Georgia, and focu sing on quality of life issueswith the men and women.

http://www.defenselink.rnil/cgi-bin/dlprint.cgi?http://www.defenselink.mil/transcripts/2001/... 4/7/2004

4/12

Daily Press Briefing Page 1 of 14

Hore I Contact U s I Email tnis Pane t F O I A I Privacy N otice I Archive

U . S . D E P A R T M E N T o f S T A T EAbout theState Dept, Press and Travel and CountriesInternationalHistory. EducationPubic Affairs! IlivingAbraadB landRegonsB llssues andCulture

[Print Friendly Version]

Daily BriefingRichard Boucher, Spokesm anWash ing ton , DCMarch 27, 2001INDEX:

1-3,6-8Israel/Middle East Peace

US React ion to Recen t Vio lence/Steps fo r D i rec t D iscuss ions/Secur i tyCoopera t ionSec r e t a r y Powell's C o n ve r sa t io n w i th Prime Min is te r Sha ron /US Co n tacts withForeign Officials re Si tuat ionMitchell C o m m i t t e e

1-38India3

Pakistan3-4

China4Russia4-6, 1168-99-1110Department1213UKRAINE12-13Afghanistan13-1414-15

Pr ese n t a ti o n o f C r ed en t ia l s b y N ew A m b a ssa d o r /U N Sec r e t a r y G en e r a l K o fiAnnan's Vis i t to Region

Demo n s t r a t i o n s o n Revo lu t iona ry Leaders

Deten t ion o f Gao Zhan

Meet ing wi th Mr . Akhmadov re Chechnya Conf l i c t /US Po l i cy on Conf l i c tRecen t Bomb A t tacks in Sou thern Russ iaUS-Russia Relat ionsDip lomats Dec la red Persona non GrataA m e r i c a n Mr. Tob in A r res t

A dm in is tra t ion 's Po l icyDemocra t iza t ion Suppor t fo r C o l o mb i a , Indones ia , Niger ia , Ukra ineRead-out o f Secre ta ry P owel l 's Mee t ing with Fo re ign Min is te r Z lenko

Discuss ion wi th Mr . Rahm atu llah re Usama b in Laden/UN Reso lu t ions/US A id toA fghansUN Sanct ions on Taliban

http://www.state.gOv/r/pa/prs/dpb/2001/1704.htm 4/7/2004

5/12

Statement Upon Release of Patterns of Global Terrorism 2000 Page 1 o f 2

H o n > 3 I contact U s I Email this P a n e ! F u l A I Privacy r o t i c e I Archiv

U.S . DEPARTMENT of STATEAbout tlieState D e i History. u:ticati>

[Print Friendly Versionl

Statement Upon Release of Patterns of Global Terrorism 2000Secretary Colin L. PowellRemarks at roll out of annual reportWashington, DCApril 30, 2001Good afternoon , ladies and gentlem en, and I'm very p leased to be here to here to participate in the rol lout of"Patterns of Global Terror ism " annu al report.Th e t ragic loss of Am er ican sa i l o rs in the bomb ing of the US S Cole, th e hostage-takings in Ecuador and theP hi l ippines, and the m any threats that sur rou nded the new m i llennium drew m edia at tent ion and of f ic ia lconcern abou t te r ror ism in the year 2000. S uch at tention and concern was f itting. The year 2000 was certainlynot a year wi thout the scourge of te r ror ism upon the face of the ear th . But th is shou ld not obscu re the bas icmessage of today's report. International cooperat ion against terror ism is increasing and i t is paying off.Th e year 2000 saw a n u m b e r o f events that m ark th is successfu l p rogress, this cooperat ion between agenciesan d nations. For exam ple, last Decem ber the United Nations Securi ty Coun ci l levied addit ional sanctions inUnited Nations Securi ty Counci l Resolut ion 1333 against the Tal iban for a l lowing terror ist ca m ps to operate onAfghanis tan te r r itory and for harbor ing Usama bin Laden.Second, th e t r ial began that led to an eventual conv ict ion in the 1988 bom bing o f P a m A m 103.Next, th e accused perpetrators and co-conspirators in the Eas t A f r ica em bassy bom b ings we re a l so b rought totrial in New Yo rk City.Th e cont inu ing invest igat ion of the b om bing of the US S Cole, a p robe that involved a wide num ber of count r ies,has thus fa r been productive and continues to m ove fo rward .A thwarted at tem pt by the Ahm ed Ressam c li que to carry exp los ives across th e US-Canadian border disruptedplans for a terror ist attack.Th e i n te rnational com m uni ty also showed su pport for the UN Convention Against Terror ist Financing. This isth e 12th t ime th e United Nations has acted form al l y in this way, taking one m ore impor tant s tep towardsshutt ing down terror ist ac ts aroun d the world.Each o f these events has a common th read -- act i ve and intensive cooperat ion in the i n te rnational com m uni ty .That com m uni ty ra l lied to m ainta in p ressure on L ibya and ensure that suspects were brought to trial. I t gaveim portant help to finding and bringing to t r ial those accused of attacking ou r em bass ies in East A f r ica. This he lpcrossed m any bo rders and i nvo l ved many na t ions , and i t sent a st rong m essage to the Tal iban through th eUnited Nations.These successes mean that we are achieving the basic object ives of the United States counter- terror ismstrategy -- isolat ion of countr ies and groups that support terror ism , disruption of terror ist p lanning andoperat ions, sha ring of inform ation, and the apprehension an d tr ia l of perpetrators. These object ives are sharedby m a n y of ou r partners th roughout th e wor ld .

http ://www.state.gov/secretary/rm/2001/2557 htm 4/7/2004

6/12

M ay 2, 2001 Page 1 of 10

[Print Friendly Version!

Daily Press BriefingPhillip T. Reeker, Acting Spokesm anWashington, DCMay 2, 2001INDEX:ANNOUNCEMENTS/STATEMENTS1 Welcome to Journalists Visiting from Macedonia1 World Press Freedom Day, M ay 3SAUDI ARABIA2 Explosion Injures American DoctorFEDERAL REPUBLIC OF YUGOSLAVIA2 Donors' Conference2-3 US Aid Suppo rt for M ontenegroISRAEL / PALESTINIAN AUTHORITY3 Secretary Powell's Meeting with Israeli Foreign Minister Peres3 Egyptian / Jordanian Proposals3-4 Views on Current Situation10 Mitchell Committee ReportCHINA48-99

US Delegation in Hainan to Assess EP-3 AircraftAssistant Secretary Kelly's Meeting with Ambassador YangUS Concern for Detained American Citizens

ARMS CONTROL4-6,8,116-77-8PERU9INDIA10PAKISTAN1012

Missile Defense Issues: Delegations Consulting Other CountriesReaction to Missile Defense PolicyLooking Beyond the ABM Treaty

Shooting Down of Missionary Aircraft

Efforts to Fight Terrorism

Terrorism ReportDetention of Political Activists

http://www .state.gOv/r/pa/prs/dpb/2001/26 55 .htm 4/7/2004

7/12

DoD News: Secretary Rumsfeld Interview with the New York Times Pagel of 19

United States Departmentof Defense.

News TranscriptOn the web:http://www.dod.mil/transcripts/2001/t05242001_t0516sdc.htmlMedia contact: +1 (703) 697-5131Public contact: http://www.dod.mil/faq/comment.html or +1 (703) 428-0711Presenter: Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld Wednesday, May 16, 2001

Secretary Rumsfeld Interview with the New York Times(Interview with Jim Dao,Thom Shanker and Eric Schmitt of the New York Times)Q: ...come back a second time. A guy who's had such a successful business career, hasdone this once already, enjoying life clearly, and taking on about as tough a job as youcan have in Washington.Talk a little bit about why come back?Rumsfeld: It's a fair question. I guess I was asked, certainly, and it was not an easydecision. It was a surprise, also.I had been down here working on the Ballistic Missile Threat Commission in '97, '98,an d then on the Space Commission in '99 to 2000. So I was involved and engaged in theissues.During the course of the campaign they asked me for advice on defense issues an dintelligence matters, which I provided. But it was really quite a surprise to be asked to dothis.It's important. It'sdoing something that's useful. That appeals to me. I'vekind of had adefinition of happiness over my lifetime of doing something that's worthwhile andimportant to do with people who know more than you do and who you can learn from.That's (inaudible) which makes getting up and tackling the everyday worthwhile.It's a particularly interesting time. I liked the President and what he was trying to do andwhat he was thinking about doing and what he said he wanted to do, and I thought hewas pulling together a good group of people that would be interesting.Q: Did you give it thought, an d obviously you've been involved through the panels an dcommissions, but had you given thought in recent years to things you thought hadn'tbeen fulfilled at the Department of Defense, or that needed to be done, or shortcomings

Updated: 1

P

DoDN_Advi:_Cont

^SlideSpee-Toda__Tran:AmericNews

SpecDoD SiAboutNews iNews IOther iSource

http://www.dod.mil/transcripts/2001/t05242001_t0516sdc.html 4/7/2004

8/12

Statement on Humanitarian Assistance to Afghans Page 1 o f 2

TPrin t Friendly Version]

Humanitarian Assistance to AfghansSecretary Colin L. PowellStatement at Press Briefing on New U.S. Humanitarian Assis tance for AfghansWashington, DCMay 17, 2001SECRETARY POWELL: Good morning, everyone. Afghanistan is in crisis. After more than 20 years of war ,and n ow the third year of a devastat ing draught, the country is on the verge of a widespread famine. Nearly 4mill ion Afghans are at risk. If the international community does not take immediate action, countless deaths andterr ible tragedy are certain to follow.At the direction of President Bush, I am today announcing a package of $43 million in new humanitar ianassistance for the people of Afghanistan, including 65,000 tons of wheat, $5 million in complementary foodcommodities, and $10 million in other l ivelihood an d food security programs within Afghanistan. We also expectto soon ann ounce addit ional assistance to Afghan refugees.Even before this latest commitment, the United States was by far the largest provider of humanitarianassistance for Afghans. Last year, we provided about $114 mill ion in aid. With this new package, ourhumanitar ian assistance to date this year will reach $124 mill ion. This includes over 200,000 tons of wheat.We will continue to look for ways to provide more assistance for Afghans, including those farmers who have feltthe impact of the ban on poppy cult ivat ion, a decision by the Tal iban that we welcome.We distribute our assistance in Afghanistan through internat ional agencies of the United Nations an dnon governmental organizat ions. We provide our aid to the people of Afghanistan, n ot to Afghanistan's warr ingfact ions. Our aid bypasses the Tal iban, wh o have done little to alleviate th e suffering of the Afghan people, an dindeed have done much to exacerbate i t . We hope the T al iban will act on a number of fundamental issues thatseparate us : their support for terrorism; their violation of internat ionally recogn ized human r ights standards,especially their treatment of women an d girls; an d their refusal to resolve Afghanistan's civil wa r through anegotiated sett lement.UN sanctions against the Taliban are smart sanct ions and do not hurt the Afghan people, nor do thesesanctions affect the flow of humanitarian assistance for Afghans. America seeks to help the neediest, whereverthey may be. I call upon the internat ional community to mobilize an d respond generously to help avert thislooming human itar ian catastrophe in Afghanistan .Secretary General Ann an and I have discussed this situation before, and I will ask for his further assistance toraise the internat ional commun ity's awareness about this cr isis and to impress upon the internat ionalcommunity the necessity to respond with energy an d with dispatch.Colleagues of mine from dif ferent parts of the govern men t, as well as including the United States Agen cy forInternational Development, will be available to provide more detailed information, should you have questions.Thank you very much.

http://www.state.gov/secretary/rm/2001/2928.htm 4/7/2004

9/12

M ay 24 , 2001 Page 1 of8

U . S . D E P A R T M E N T n / ' S T A T EA D o u t th eS ta te D e p t .

[Print Friendly Versionl

Daily Press BriefingPhillip T. Reeker, Deputy SpokesmanWa shington, DCM a y 24 , 2001INDEX:ANNOUNCEMENT

Join t S ta te ment by Gover nments of United S ta te s & Mexico on Dea ths ofFourteen Migrants in Arizona Dese r t

MEXICO2-32

CHINA3-44

Deta i ls on Cause of Deaths/ Search and Rescue Opera t ion/ Investiga t ionWorking Group Meeting in San AntonioReports Concerning Mexican Government Giving Survival Kits to PossibleMexican Migrants Planning to Cross the Border of the United Sta tesDeta i ls on How Survivors Managed to Ma ke C onta ctAccounts of Raul S alinas/Links with Drug Carte ls in ColombiaExtradition of Jose Amezcua

Discussions Continue on Issue of EP-3 Aircraft/ Next Meeting with th e C hineseOpposition to Disassembling th e EP-3 PlaneJAPAN / SOUTH KOREA / NORTH KOREA

Possibility of Changing Agreed Framework/ Continuing Policy Review on NorthKorea-55-65 Meeting of Trilateral Coordination and Oversight Group in HawaiiBuilding Light-Water Nuclear ReactorsISRAEL/PALESTINIAN AU THORITY6 Me et ing wi th C h a irma n Arafat/ Meeting with Pr ime Minister Sharon7 Israel Stopping Entry of Raw Chemical MaterialsISRAEL / LEBANON6 Israel i S h ootdown of Lebane se AirplaneRUSSIA / AFGHANISTAN7-8 US -Russian Me e ting on Afgha nista n/ Russian S upport for Northe rn AllianceAFGHANISTAN8 Practice by Taliban of Labe ling Minority Hindus9 Discussions on Armenia a nd Azerbai jan

http://www.state.gov/r7pa/prs/dpb/2001/3061 .htm 4/7/2004

10/12

May 30, 2001 Page 1 of 13

U . S . D E P A R T M E N T n / S T A T EA b o u t th eS t a t e D e p t .

[Print Friendly Versionl

Daily Press BriefingPhillip T. Reeker, Deputy SpokesmanWashington, DCMay 30, 2001INDEX:ISRAEL/PALESTINIAN A UTHORITY1-4 Update on Violence /Security Meetings/Mitchell Committee Recommendations8 Possibility of Israeli President's Visit to the USTERRORISM5 Department's Public Announcem ent Re: Wo rldwide Caution5-Q Guilty Verdicts Re: US Embassy Bom bings in AfricaRUSSIA610, 14

Tobin Arrest CaseSecretary Powell's Meeting with Foreign Minister Ivanov in Budapest

AFGHANISTAN6-8 Sanctions against the Taliban/Usama bin LadenMEXICO8-9 Update on Deaths of Mexican Immigrants in the US/Illegal C rossings into the USMISSILE DEFENSE9-10 Secretary Powell's Meeting with NATO Members in Budapest14-15 Consultations with Russia on Missile DefensePHILIPPINES10 Update on KidnappingsIRAQ11 UN Sanctions/UN Security Council ResolutionsARMENIA AND AZERBAIJAN11-12 Nagorno-Karabakh Peace Process/Minsk GroupHUMAN RIGHTS12-13 Reaction to Am nesty International A nnual Report Re: Human R ights/CorruptionCHINA12-13 Update on Detainees in China

http://www .state.gOv/r/pa/prs/dpb/2001 /3172.htm 4/7/2004

11/12

July 3, 2001 Page 1 of 10

fPrint Friendly Version]

Daily Press BriefingRichard Boucher, SpokesmanWashington, DCJuly 3, 2001INDEX:ISRAEL/PALESTINIAN AUTHORITY1- 2,1 2,1 3 US Opposit ion to Targeted Kill ings / Recent Violence / Status of CeasefireG-8 SUMMIT2, 3-4 Climate Change Policy / Security at Summit in ItalyJAPAN2 Timing on Okinawa InvestigationPAKISTAN3 Ambassador VisitIRAQ3,4-7

MEXICO3,4,10

Alleged Asylum Request for Reported Diplomat / War Crimes Charges AgainstSaddam Hussein / Smart Sanctions Resolution / Iraqi Opposition SanctionSupport / Economic Retaliation

Visa Requirements for Mexican Legislator/ Possible Seal of Southern BorderWith GuatemalaNORTH KOREA6, 7-8 Possible Upcoming Meetings / Missile Engine TestTHE HAGUE8-9 War Crimes Trial of MilosevicJAPAN9

INDIA9-10

Compensation for US Veterans of WWII

Threats by Usama Bin Laden Against US InterestsGUATEMALA10 Guatemalan President's Upcoming VisitMACEDONIA

http://www .state.gOv/r/pa/prs/dpb/2001/3951 .htm 4/7/2004

12/12

Wednesday, June 18,2003

United States General Accounting OfficeGAO TestimonyBefore the Subcommittee on Commerce,Justice, State, and the Judiciary,Committee on Appropriations, House ofRepresentativesFBI REORGANIZATION

Progress Made in Efforts toTransform, but MajorChallenges ContinueStatement of DavidM.Walker,Comptroller General of the United States

G A OAccountability * Integrity * Reliability

GAO-03-759T