SEO 101 - Alt Summit May 2014
Post on 19-Aug-2014
DESCRIPTIONAn SEO 101 review by Duane Forrester of Bing Webmaster Tools. We cover the best practices of technical SEO, onpage SEO and touch on broader topics which affect the success of SEO and a website such as conversion optimization and social media programs.
- @duaneforrester Bing Webmaster Tools Speaks at shows, runs forums and blog, provides guidance on new WM tools www.bing.com/toolbox/webmasters Does he have a clue? 14+ years as an inhouse SEO; ran seo at MSN; has helped Disney, GAP, Walmart + http://www.linkedin.com/in/dforrester And this helps me how? Blogging since 2001; owns 150 domains; makes money online http://twitter.com/DuaneForrester what does duane do at bing
- Orange Paid ads you pay per click for traffic Auction-based system Higher bid; higher placement Green Organic & News results SEO works here Trusted results Clicks are free Red Shopping results Combination of organically sourced and paid inclusion results Not as wide a net as organic, but more focused than paid adsM o r e O r g a n i c
- Increase relevancy Increase exposure Increase visits Increase page views Increase revenue Better UX Low cost Investment in future Users starting here
- Build social followers & fans organically Wall posts/tweets with links are perceived as more credible and useful Get the basics of SEO covered, then focus on content Its worth repeating: unique, compelling content still works
- The engines really respond to unique, useful content Your visitors respond to this as well Its a wise investment of your time Dont take shortcuts limit syndicated content image credit: http://mashable.com/2011/01/10/social-content-strategy/
- The Internet is B.I.G. Slice and dice to find your niche. Plenty of niche areas to explore/exploit start your fight where you can dominate Choose your voice wisely; dont be afraid to express an informed opinion Watch what users respond to, then amplify along those lines
- Know exactly what users are searching for Data can help you uncover new niches or refine your focus Helps keep you focused on creating compelling content Got writers block? Check your keyword research for inspiration
- Start with your Home page, categories, products, etc Thenwhen you have numbers Every area of your site has a value - $, PV, Emails, etc. Determine what the value is Sort your site by value to see what really matters Organize work around high-value areas first
- Skip m. domains m. domains produce unwanted duplication Responsive design is your friend HTML5 can help
- Authority Building Short List Know the topic inside out Engage your community Share useful content freely Be consistent and useful Market your strengths Be a go-to resource Learn to spot trends in data
- Where does SEO fit in? Content Social User Experience Link Building SEO
- A Changing Web of Your Objects Schema.org can help Mark up your content
- Signal of topical authority Real-time engines want fresh content, fast Integrated social signals influence click actions of searchers Social signals remain only a few of thousands of signals for organic ranking How users click on your results can impact rankings and when we show cues like your Facebook friends with results, click rates can be impacted.
- Different sources must be handled differently Organic traffic is building trust Paid traffic is ready to open their wallets Email traffic is ready to buynow Ensure your conversion path is short and sweet Off the shelf carts can usually be tweaked to gain improvements in conversions.
- Core Strategies Op. Strategies Tactics Plan or #FAIL
- Oh, and heres a streamlining trick for ya! Trusted RSS feeds Copy & Paste AUTOMATED AUTOMATED MANUAL
- www.bing.com/webmaster www.hootsuite.com tapbots.com/software/tweetbot/ www.echofon.com/ statigr.am/ inst.me/ www.curalate.com/ www.evernote.com www.ifttt.com http://elastic.io/about.html https://zapier.com/ www.trackur.com www.sprinklr.com/ www.visibletechnologies.com/ www.socialmention.com mehdoh.com/
- 6 seconds to start a relationship http://socialmediatoday.com/julie- blakley/1516266/7-brands-getting- creative-vine
- 18 Social Media Management Tools Alexa.com Board Reader Sysomos Facebook Insights Follower Wonk Google Insights How Sociable Ice Rocket trends Buffer Klout Peerindex Kred Mention Map Social Mention Statigram Twitter Counter Tweetreach Visual.ly
View more >