retha carter ackermans
out of 35
Post on 22-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONCase studyA-Plus - Mining customer database and expanding into customer events for greater impact• Harnessing relationship with club members• Audience connections – know your readers intimately• Cross-accessing databases to achieve greater impact• Customising events for niche customers• Objectives, goals, experience and result• Tips, challenges and solutionsRetha Carter, Customer Relations and Insights ManagerAckermans
- 1. A-Plus: understanding the customer and leveraging your relationship with them
- 2. Agenda
- Who are our Club Members
- Club Benefits
- Club Magazine, Supplements and Calendar
- Leveraging Events
- Managing the Process
- A recipe for success
- 3. Background/setting the scene
- The A-Plus Card and Club was launched 1994 in Ackermans.
- 314 000 active A-Plus Cardholders
- Launched A-Plus Card in multi-brands of The Baby Company, Home Comforts, Hang Ten, Jay Jays, Cube and Shoe City in 2006
- 115 000 Club members
- Club available in Ackermans and Shoe City
- Current model: Opt in paid for club for A-Plus Card holders only
- Club members pay R14.50 p/m for a host of benefits
- 4. Club Demographic breakdown Gender Club members Club % Female 80009 69% Male 35546 31% Unknown 0 0% Language Club members Club % Unknown 15168 13% Afrikaans 29124 25% English 71263 62% Age Brackets Club members Club % less than 18 0 0% 18-24 3092 3% 25-34 30243 26% 35-44 42413 37% 45-54 26144 23% 55-64 10200 9% 65 or older 3463 3%
- They keep their accounts for longer
- Main account retention = 62%
- Club members = 84%
- 40% of account holders are also club members
- They spend more
- They keep their accounts more up to date
- A-Plus Club Magazine, Account Protection Plan and Competitions and lucky draws were regarded as the most valuable benefits.
- 28% of A-Plus Members also belong to other retail clubs (eg. Foschini, Jet and Edgars)
- 61% of respondents rate the A-Plus Club better than other retail clubs.
- 7. Club Benefits
- A-Plus Club Magazine every second month and 2 Supplements a year
- Funeral Cover of up to R10 000 (R6000 for the main member R4000 for the Spouse)
- Free access to our Dial-a-teacher tutoring service
- Free bursaries to the value of R25 000 every 2 nd month
- Discounts of up to 20% on GPs consultations fees
- Free Roadside Assistance
- Access to the A-Plus Helpline
- Invitations to exclusive members only club events
- 8. Club Magazine: History First Club Magazine launched in 1996
- 9. Club Magazine: Today
- 10. Club Magazine: Refreshed Sept 2010
- 11. A-Plus Supplements
- 12. A-Plus Supplements
- Increased communication with our club members
- Engagement strategy:correct product - correct content - correct target market
- Merchandising: showcasedepth of product range/s
- An effort to continually drive feet-through-the door
- Advertising revenue opportunity including sponsorships
- Increased paper quality on supplements to lift image and appeal of Ackermans
- Widening the net: utilisation of other focused/targeted mediums like CT/Dbn/Gauteng Child Magazines
- 13. A-Plus Calendar
- R275 000 sponsorship deal with Old Mutual in 2008
- R325 sponsorship with Hollard Direct in 2009
- Reward club members with gifts that add value to their lives
- Interactive concepts eg Recipe Calendar; Art etc
- Branding opportunity for Ackermans and third party
- advertisers that has longevity
- 14. A-Plus Calendar
- 15. Club Magazine: Ad Revenue 360% growth over a 5 year period!!!!
- 16. Club Magazine: The Reader She is confident, secure, and open to new solutions that will enhance her familys lifestyle. She has a busy life and is able to juggle her many roles and responsibilities.
- 17. AMPS Competitor information A-Plus Jet Edgars Foschini
- 18. AMPS Competitor information A-Plus Jet Edgars Foschini
- 19. AMPS Competitor information A-Plus Jet Edgars Foschini
- 20. AMPS Competitor information A-Plus Jet Edgars Foschini
- 21. AMPS Competitor information A-Plus Jet Edgars Foschini
- 22. Club Magazine: New Positioning
- The 2010 Customer, no frills affluent
- They are not battling; but
- they are budgeting, making money stretch further;
- coping - buying what they need, buying fewer, but better;
- resistant to debt; dont want credit
- labels less important; those who buy into labels
- less seasonality, more longevity
- try new brands
- emotional - more emotional sell, more investment
- When times get tough, the tough get efficient!
- Source: Anthony Swart, Director, The Brand Union
- 23. New Positioning
- Emotional comfort
- real everything people, buying experience;
- stories give them something to talk about;
- expectations reality;
- integrity dont make me buy what I dont want;
- value to the point of even valuing how you invest in CSI
- Anxiety around recession is subsiding.
- Source: Anthony Swart, Director, The Brand Union
- 24. New Positioning: Editorial Strategy
- To be the readers go-to guide.
- brands available
- 25. New Positioning: New directions
- Reader generated content.
- Sense of community.
- Editorialise merchandise pages.
- Celeb cover story.
- Longer articles.
- Kids page.
- 26. New Positioning: New directions
View more >