Putting Mobile Back into Mobile Learning Mark van t Hooft, PhD 2011 Mobile Learning Experience Phoenix, AZ.
Post on 19-Dec-2015
- Slide 1
- Putting Mobile Back into Mobile Learning Mark van t Hooft, PhD 2011 Mobile Learning Experience Phoenix, AZ
- Slide 2
- Theories of Mobile Learning Mobile Devices Mobile Devices Mobile Learners Mobile Learners Mobile Society Mobile Society The mLearning revolution has merely provided mobile learning in the classroom. (Nash, 2009) Mobility in physical and digital space, mobility and flexibility of technology and content, mobility in conceptual space.
- Slide 3
- Interacting with a desktop computer takes place in a bubble, in dedicated times and places where the learner has their back to the world for a substantial and probably premeditated episode. Interacting with a mobile is different and woven into all the times and places of peoples lives Desktop technologies operate in their own small world, mobile technologies operate in the world. (Traxler, 2010)
- Slide 4
- Mobile Learning Means going beyond just mobile technologies or delivering content to mobile devices.
- Slide 5
- Mobile Learning Means being able to operate successfully in and across new and ever changing contexts and learning spaces. (Pachler, 2009)
- Slide 6
- Mobile Learning Means real and digital realms augment each other.
- Slide 7
- Mobile Learning Means learning as constructivist, situated, collaborative, informal, and lifelong.
- Slide 8
- Mobile Learning Means emphasizing 21 st century skills.
- Slide 9
- So How Do We Do This?
- Slide 10
- Possibilities Frequency 1550
- Slide 11
- Possibilities London Street Museum http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/Museu mOfLondon/Resources/app/you-are-here- app/index.html
- Slide 12
- Possibilities Environmental Detectives http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goPTuUMu_oc
- Slide 13
- CloudBank Possibilities
- Slide 14
- MyArtSpace (now Ookl)
- Slide 15
- World War II Memorial in Washington DC (2009 NECC Conference). http:// www.youtube.com/watch? v=M70AtlLy_ns Possibilities Learning activities using cell phones, QR codes, and digital content. Denvers Public Art (ISTE 2010 Conference.) http://www.youtube.com/group/SIGMLt our
- Slide 16
- Food for Thought Importance of place. The question is how to best balance physical and digital places to get the best out of both. Milgram & Kishino, 1994
- Slide 17
- Food for Thought Meet learners half-way and take advantage of the technology skills they already have, but teach them how to use these skills for learning. Dont assume they already know.
- Slide 18
- Food for Thought Learning lasts a lifetime, and we can and should teach our students how to take advantage of digital technologies for that purpose.
- Slide 19
- Slide 20
- Thank You! Mark van t Hooft email@example.com http://ubiquitousthoughts.wordpress.com http://ubiquitousthoughts.wordpress.com Twitter: @dutchboyinohio
- Slide 21
- References Klopfer, E. (2008). Augmented learning: Research and design of mobile educational games. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press. Nash, C. (2009). The end of the mLearning revolution. Handheld Learning. Retrieved from http://www.handheldlearning.co.uk/content/view/60/ http://www.handheldlearning.co.uk/content/view/60/ Pachler, N. (2009, April). Pedagogical issues and mobile learning. Presentation at the Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, San Diego, CA. Pemberton, L., Winter, M., & Fallakhair, S. (2010). Collaborative mobile language sharing for mobile learners. RCETJ, 6(1), 144-148. Retrieved from http://www.rcetj.org/index.php/rcetj/article/view/76http://www.rcetj.org/index.php/rcetj/article/view/76 Polson, D., & Morgan, C. (2010). Towards an intelligent learning system for the natural born cyborg. RCETJ, 6(1), 185-193. Retrieved from http://www.rcetj.org/index.php/rcetj/article/view/77http://www.rcetj.org/index.php/rcetj/article/view/77 Traxler, J. (2010). The sustainable university. Retrieved from http://profjohntraxler.blogspot.com/2010/10/sustainable- university.html http://profjohntraxler.blogspot.com/2010/10/sustainable- university.html
- Slide 22
- Image Credits 21 st Century Skills: http://www.p21.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=254&Itemid=119 CloudBank: http://cloudbankblog.blogspot.com/p/about.htmlhttp://cloudbankblog.blogspot.com/p/about.html Designing Learning Spaces: http://www.mobilearner.org/2008/07/how-to-design- learning-space.htmlhttp://www.mobilearner.org/2008/07/how-to-design- learning-space.html Environmental Detectives: http://education.mit.edu/ar/ed.htmlhttp://education.mit.edu/ar/ed.html Frequency 1550: http://www.waag.org/project/frequentiehttp://www.waag.org/project/frequentie Frequency 1550 Cartoon: http://mastersofmedia.hum.uva.nl/wp- content/uploads/2007/11/121.jpghttp://mastersofmedia.hum.uva.nl/wp- content/uploads/2007/11/121.jpg ISTE Conference Denver: Stephanie Greenhut. Layar: http://site.layar.com/company/blog/make-your-own-layar-screen-shot-with-the- dreamcatcher/http://site.layar.com/company/blog/make-your-own-layar-screen-shot-with-the- dreamcatcher/ London Street Museum: http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/MuseumOfLondon/Resources/app/you-are- here-app/index.html & http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/English/AboutUs/Newsroom/Streetmuseum+ap p.htm http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/MuseumOfLondon/Resources/app/you-are- here-app/index.html http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/English/AboutUs/Newsroom/Streetmuseum+ap p.htm Mobile phone map (Sara): http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/16/view/8782/sara- augmented-reality-architecture-application.htmlhttp://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/16/view/8782/sara- augmented-reality-architecture-application.html Student Profile: http://www.rcetj.org/index.php/rcetj/article/view/77/194http://www.rcetj.org/index.php/rcetj/article/view/77/194 vCommunicator Mobile: http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/washington/news.aspx?id=79769&print=1 http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/washington/news.aspx?id=79769&print=1
View more >
Putting Mobile Back into Mobile Learning Mark van t Hooft, PhD 2010 Miami University M-Learning Summit Oxford, Ohio.
Using QR Codes and Mobile Phones for Learning Thomas McNeal Mark van t Hooft 2010 eTech Ohio Conference Columbus, Ohio.
Researching Informal and Mobile Learning: Leveraging the Right Resources Mark van t Hooft Kent State University Research Center for Educational Technology.
Mobile-learning. Definition Mobile learning perspectives Mobile technologies Reasons for using mobile devices.
The Future of Mobile Learning - Future of Mobile Learning Niall Winters ... Niall Winters Mark West Mike Sharples Rebecca Kraut ... The Future of Mobile Learning
Innovating e-Learning 2011 (JISC Online Conference - November 2011 Mobile Learning: Mobile Devices in the Classroom Tony Delahunty 1 Mobile devices in.