Popular music genres What are they & who make them ?
out of 22
Post on 24-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- Slide 2
- Popular music genres What are they & who make them ?
- Slide 3
- Pop music Pop music : abbreviation of popular , child of the rock and roll, borned in the 1950s. No really definitions about it, it's a simple medium length song, with a chorus and rhythmic elements but not classified as any other genre of music.
- Slide 4
- Michael Jackson Smooth Criminal from the album Bad (1987) Also known as the King of the pop, because he was the most famous artist of all time and the artist who sold the most of albums and single, behind the Beatles and Elvis Presley. Fun fact : he had an amusement park, neverland, in his garden. Other artists : Prince ; George Michael ; Lionel Richie
- Slide 5
- Heavy Metal Heavy metal : it's a genre of rock music develloped at the end of 1960s. It's characterized by highly amplified distortion, a massive sound, extended electric guitar solos. Also, they don't sing, they shout.
- Slide 6
- Motrhead Ace of Spades Their lyrics typically cover such topics as war, good versus evil, abuse of power, promiscuous sex, substance abuse, and, most famously, gambling.The name "Motrhead" is a reference to users of the drug amphetamine Other artists : Judas Priest ; Iron Maiden ; Black Sabbath
- Slide 7
- RnB RnB : Rhythm and Blues, first popular African-American music in the 1940s. It was described in the past as records marketed predominantly to urban African Americans who sang their triumphs of failures in life, now it's an urbane, rocking, jazz based music with a heavy, insistent beat about anything.
- Slide 8
- Usher Yeah! (featuring Lil Jon, Ludacris) Usher Terry Raymond IV is one of the best-selling artists in American music history, having sold over 23 million copies in the United States alone. To date, he has sold over 65 million records worldwide and won 8 granny awards. He founded a non-profit charity organization which aims to "provide young people with a new look on life through education and real-world experience". Other artists : Akon ; Chris Brown ; Neyo
- Slide 9
- Reggae Reggae : Came from Jamaica in the late 1960s,easily recognizable elements are offbeat rhythms; staccato chords played by a guitar or piano (or both) on the offbeats of the measure and a bass guitar, with a slow tempo and a call and reponse.
- Slide 10
- Bob Marley Jammin Starting out in 1963 with the group the Wailers, he forged a distinctive songwriting and vocal style that would later resonate with audiences worldwide. After the Wailers disbanded in 1974, Marley pursued a solo career which established his worldwide reputation and produced his status as one of the world's best-selling artists of all time, with sales of more than 75 million records. He was a committed Rastafari who infused his music with a sense of spirituality. Other artists : Peter tosh ; Bunny wailer ; Jimy cliff
- Slide 11
- Rapping Rapping is "spoken or chanted rhyming lyrics". It is often associated with and a primary ingredient of hip hop music. The early rapping of hip-hop developed out of announcements made over the microphone at parties, mostly in the African-American community. To successfully deliver a rap, a rapper must also develop vocal presence, enunciation, and breath control.
- Slide 12
- Eminem Lose yourself He is the best-selling artist of the 2000s in the United States. Eminem has opened his own record label Shady Records with his manager Paul Rosenberg. He also has his own radio channel, Shade 45. At the beginning of his career, while struggling to succeed in a predominantly black industry, Eminem gained the approval of underground hip hop audiences. Other artists : Jay Z ; Kanye West ; Lil Wayne
- Slide 13
- Electronic music Electronic music regroups a lot of different music genres. It became extremely popular with the appearance of the synthesizer in the 70s. Electronically produced music became prevalent in the popular domain by the 1990s because of the advent of affordable music technology. Contemporary electronic music includes many varieties and ranges from experimental art music to popular forms such as electronic dance music. Its most popular varieties are : Dubstep, Electro, Chillstep, Drum and Bass, House
- Slide 14
- Daft Punk One More Time Daft Punk is a French electronic music duo consisting of musicians Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo and Thomas Bangalter. The group is known for emphasizing using visual and story components associated with their musical productions, and for using disguises while in public and/or performing; specifically ornate helmets and gloves to assume robot personas in most of their public appearances since 2001. The duo rarely grant interviews or appear on television. Other artists : David Guetta ; Calvin Harris ; C2C
- Slide 15
- Rock music Rock music originated as "rock and roll" in the United States in the 1950s, and developed into a range of different styles in the 1960s and later, particularly in the United Kingdom and the United States. Musically, rock has centered on the electric guitar, usually as part of a rock group with electric bass guitar and drums. Rock music has also embodied and served as the vehicle for cultural and social movements.
- Slide 16
- Led Zeppelin Stairway to Heaven Led Zeppelin were an English rock band formed in London in 1968. The group consisted of guitarist Jimmy Page, singer Robert Plant, bassist and keyboardist John Paul Jones, and drummer John Bonham. They are widely considered one of the most successful, innovative, and influential rock groups in history. The group disbanded following Bonham's death from alcohol-related asphyxia in 1980. Other artists : The Beatles ; The Rolling Stones ; The Beach Boys
- Slide 17
- Jazz Jazz is a genre of music that originated in African American communities during the late 19th and early 20th century. It emerged in many parts of the United States in the form of independent popular musical styles. Jazz has proved to be very difficult to define, since it encompasses such a wide range of music spanning a period of over 100 years, but improvisation is consistently regarded as being one of its key elements.
- Slide 18
- Ray Charles I got a woman He pioneered the genre of soul music during the 1950s by combining rhythm and blues, gospel, and blues styles into the music he recorded. Charles was blind from the age of seven and was sometimes referred as The Genius. He notably supported the civil rights movement and Martin Luther King, Jr. in the 1960s. Other artists : Louis Armstrong ; Duke Ellington ; Miles Davis
- Slide 19
- Classical music Classical music is, once again, very difficult to define given the extremely broad variety of forms, styles, genres, and historical periods generally perceived as being described by the term. Its most known periods are the The symphony orchestra is the most widely known medium for classical music and includes members of the string, woodwind, brass, and percussion families of instruments.
- Slide 20
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Turkish March Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was a prolific and influential composer of the Classical era. Mozart showed prodigious ability from his earliest childhood. Already competent on keyboard and violin, he composed from the age of five and performed before European royalty. He composed over 600 works, many acknowledged as pinnacles of symphonic, concertante, chamber, operatic, and choral music. Other artists : Bach ; Beethoven ; Haydn
- Slide 21
- Disco Disco is a genre of music that was most popular in the 1970s, though it has since enjoyed brief resurgences. The disco sound has soaring, often reverberated vocals over a steady beat. Many non-disco artists recorded disco songs at the height of disco's popularity, and films such as Saturday Night Fever and Thank God It's Friday contributed to disco's rise in mainstream popularity.
- Slide 22
- Chic Everybody dance Chic is an American band that was organized during 1976 by guitarist Nile Rodgers and bassist Bernard Edwards. The group regarded themselves as a rock band for the disco movement "that made good on hippie peace, love and freedom". Rodgers stated that Daft Punk is interested in working on at least one song of some unreleased material with him. He notably co-wrote the famous hit Get Lucky. Other artists : Donna Summer ; Tantra ; The Clash
- Slide 23
- A few questions Do you often listen to music ? On the radio or on the Internet ? What genre ? How important do you think music is in a countrys culture ? Do you listen to every genres or just a few of them ?
View more >
Popular Genres By: Brittany and Laura. Major Genres in the Soviet Union Children Literature Social and Soviet Science fiction Historical Fiction Mystery
Alex Ross - Ross... · STRAVINSKY Three Songs from ... borrowed from folk and popular genres, ... to…