mrs. frisby and the rats of nimhmrs. frisby and the rats of nimh
out of 40
Post on 16-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMHMrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH
- Slide 2
- Characters Mrs.Frisby - a widow and mother of four children. Cynthia - the youngest and always frightened. Timothy - the next to the youngest and very frail. Martin - the oldest and strongest. Teresa - the next to the oldest and very caring for Timothy. Mr. Ages - has all the medicine and is very old. Jeremy the crow Dragon the cat
- Slide 3
- Setting Mr. Fitzgibbons farm Mrs. Frisbys house: a cinder block in the ground
- Slide 4
- Problem Mrs. Frisbys youngest son has pneumonia. They live right in the path of the spring plowing machine. Timothy wont be able to move for at least a month. They may plow in 4 or 5 days.
- Slide 5
- Ch. 1: The Sickness of Timothy FrisbyCh. 1: The Sickness of Timothy Frisby
- Slide 6
- Ch. 1 QuestionsCh. 1 Questions 1. Describe the treasure found by Mrs. Frisby. Why didnt she take it all at once? Why didnt she feel guilty about taking it? 2. Do you think Mrs. Frisby was a good mother? Give evidence to support your thinking. 3. The author uses foreboding in this chapter to give us a sense that a misfortunate event is going to occur. Explain the example the author uses.
- Slide 7
- Ch. 2: Mr. AgesCh. 2: Mr. Ages
- Slide 8
- Ch. 2 QuestionsCh. 2 Questions 1. How does Mrs. Frisby explain Timothys frailness? 2. Why would it be unusual that a mouse would be white from old age? 3. Thinking back to chapter one, why is Mr. Ages prognosis disturbing?
- Slide 9
- Ch. 3: The Crow and the CatCh. 3: The Crow and the Cat
- Slide 10
- Ch. 3 QuestionsCh. 3 Questions 1. Who was dragon? How did he receive his name? 2. What gamble did Mrs. Frisby take? 3. Who is Jeremy? What adjectives (words that describe nouns) would you use to describe him?
- Slide 11
- Ch. 4: Mr. Fitzgibbons PlowCh. 4: Mr. Fitzgibbons Plow
- Slide 12
- Ch. 4 QuestionsCh. 4 Questions 1. Why was moving day so important? 2. Why did Mrs. Frisby dread moving day this year? How did the warmth of the day add to her worries? 3. What do you think Mr. Frisby meant when he told Mrs. Frisby, All doors are hard to unlock until you have the key?
- Slide 13
- Ch. 5: Five DaysCh. 5: Five Days
- Slide 14
- Ch. 5 QuestionsCh. 5 Questions 1. How do you know the Frisbys will have to move in the next five days? 2. It says in this chapter that it had been a day of oddities and alarms. Describe the oddities.
- Slide 15
- Ch. 6: A Favor from JeremyCh. 6: A Favor from Jeremy
- Slide 16
- Ch. 6 QuestionsCh. 6 Questions 1. How did Mrs. Frisby show her bravery in this chapter? Why couldnt Mrs. Frisby visit the owl in the daytime?
- Slide 17
- Ch. 7: The OwlCh. 7: The Owl
- Slide 18
- Ch. 7 QuestionsCh. 7 Questions 1. Explain the statement: She knew something of the dietary habits of owls and she did not much like the idea of being trapped. 2. The author uses a simile to describe the river from Mrs. Frisbys point of view. Explain. 3. Besides physical traits, describe the owl?
- Slide 19
- Ch. 8: Go to the Rats:Ch. 8: Go to the Rats:
- Slide 20
- Ch. 8 QuestionsCh. 8 Questions 1. How did the owls advice and tone change when he learned who Mrs. Frisby was? 2. Describe the problem the owl faced regarding his home. Evaluate his decision not to leave.
- Slide 21
- Ch. 9: In the RosebushCh. 9: In the Rosebush
- Slide 22
- Ch. 9 QuestionsCh. 9 Questions 1. How did Timothy know that it was almost moving day? 2. What did the author mean by the following: Mrs. Frisby realized that he had somehow switched their positions? 3. Describe the entranceway to the rats domain. Do you think the author paints a picture with his description? How important is description to writing?
- Slide 23
- Ch. 10: BrutusCh. 10: Brutus
- Slide 24
- Ch. 10 QuestionsCh. 10 Questions 1. Why was Mrs. Frisby fearful of seeing Brutus again? How did Mr. Ages help her with her fear? 2. The animals response to Mrs. Frisby is great respect. What could this foreshadow in the story? 3. What did Mrs. Frisby have to promise before Mr. Ages would take her to talk to Nicodemus?
- Slide 25
- Ch. 11: In the LibraryCh. 11: In the Library
- Slide 26
- Ch. 11 QuestionsCh. 11 Questions 1. What things about the rats colony surprise Mrs. Frisby?
- Slide 27
- Ch. 12 IsabellaCh. 12 Isabella
- Slide 28
- Ch. 12 QuestionsCh. 12 Questions 1. Why did Mrs. Frisby change her mind about leaving the library? 2. Who might the rats of NIMH be? 3. What did Isabella have against the rat named Jenner?
- Slide 29
- Ch. 13 A Powder for DragonCh. 13 A Powder for Dragon
- Slide 30
- Ch. 13 QuestionsCh. 13 Questions 1. Explain the following: Why didnt Dragon chase Mrs. Frisby? How did Mr. Ages break his leg? How did Mr. Frisby die?
- Slide 31
- Ch. 14 The MarketplaceCh. 14 The Marketplace
- Slide 32
- Ch. 14 QuestionsCh. 14 Questions 1. What unusual things might have been warnings if the rats had been noticing and thinking? 2. How did the men capture so many rats?
- Slide 33
- Ch. 15 In the CageCh. 15 In the Cage
- Slide 34
- Ch. 15 QuestionsCh. 15 Questions 1. According to Nicodemus, what was the worst part of their capture? 2. Identify the following people: Dr. Schultz, Julie, and George 3. Analyze Nicodemus statement: Yet for twenty of us those injections were to change our whole lives. Explain what you think happened to the rats in the lab.
- Slide 35
- Ch. 16 The MazeCh. 16 The Maze
- Slide 36
- Ch.16 QuestionsCh.16 Questions 1. What type of doctor was Dr. Schultz? Describe the main purpose of his experimentation. 2. Why was the maze so frustrating for Nicodemus? 3. Justify Justins thinking he assured Nicodemus that if he were captured, he would not be harmed. Explain the scientists reaction to Justins escape attempt 4. Explain your opinion about animal experimentation
- Slide 37
- Ch. 17 A Lesson in ReadingCh. 17 A Lesson in Reading
- Slide 38
- Ch. 17 QuestionsCh. 17 Questions 1. What important information did Justin learn during his time out of his cage? 2. Why was Dr. Schultz excited about the test results? Was his caution his undoing? Explain. 3. Why wouldnt Justin allow Nicodemus to accompany him outside of the cage? Do you agree with his reasoning? Explain.
- Slide 39
- Ch. 18 The Air DuctsCh. 18 The Air Ducts
- Slide 40
- Ch. 18 QuestionsCh. 18 Questions 1. What made Justin so sure that the air ducts would be the best escape route? Who were the mice that escaped with the rats? 2. On what basis was Nicodemus chosen to be the leader of the rats? What qualities make a good leader? 3. What concerns did Jenner have for the rats future? Are his concerns justified? Explain.
View more >