making the most of a polarizing brand
out of 50
Post on 15-Aug-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. HOLA! These slides were created as part of an internship under the guidance of Prof. Sameer Mathur www.IIMinternship.com I am Prateek Rout &
- 2. 1933 Launched
- 3. Miracle Whip was launched as a less expensive alternative to mayonnaise. Its something like Mayonnaise. It was also developed to be used as a less expensive salad dressing also known as a boiled dressing. It was sold throughout the United States and Canada.
- 4. Product was less expensive & Slightly-sweeter- than-mayonnaise- sandwich spread.
- 5. BUT After conducting a research on shoppers attitudes toward the dressing, the marketers at KRAFT found surprisingly deep EMOTIONS.
- 6. SOME LOVED IT HATED IT
- 7. MIRACLE WHIP is a POLARIZING product
- 8. The company accepted the fact
- 9. & Utilized it
- 10. The company launched an Intensive Social Media Campaign
- 11. RESULTS 631% surge in Social Media 14 % increase in Sales
- 12. BRAND DISPERSION It is a new metric used to measure polarization. Consider to hypothetical brands A & B. After a survey by their respective managers, the brands receive the following ratings: A = 3,4,5 & B= 1,4,7. Mean scores of both the brands = 4. BUT Brand As scores are clustered tightly together, but Brand Bs are widely dispersed. (1 brand lover &
- 13. BRAND DISPERSION Results: Brand B is POLARIZIN G
- 14. A Brand with a middling score, can be highly polarizing, with large number of fervent supporters and passionate detractors canceling one another out.
- 15. They also tend to be less risky- to exhibit relatively little variation in stock price Polarizing brands tend to perform poorly than others
- 16. CAPITALIZINGON POLARIZATION
- 17. PLACATE YOUR HATERS
- 18. Try to change the haters minds Straightforward and comfortable strategy Create a larger pool of potential buyers Reduces negative word of mouth
- 19. Betty Crocker brand, best known for cake mixes, icing, and other cook-at-home dessert products. Suffered due to rising concern about obesity, a consumer shift toward low-carb products, and criticism of food industry marketing techniques. In 2008, 4.5% of consumers could be classified as Betty Crocker haters
- 20. In April 2009 it started a social network, MyBlogSpark, to promote Betty Crocker, putting up its own posts to defuse bloggers complaints Betty Crocker became the first major brand to develop a gluten-free baking mix It soon partnered with celiac disease foundations and started a website for consumers, liveglutenfreely.com By May 2011 the share of Betty Crocker brand haters had dropped to 2.8%
- 21. POKE THE HATERS
- 22. Intentionally antagonizing the brand detractors Reinforces the brands connection with its most enthusiastic costumers Defense mounted by fans often sways neutral consumers into becoming supporters
- 23. Adaptedunusualcost cuttingmeasures
- 24. Each provocative announcement put the company in the headlines and cemented its reputation for going to great lengths to offer rock-bottom fares
- 25. AMPLIFY A POLARIZINGATTRIBUTE
- 26. Dont narrow the gap or reduce haters rancor Create products to amplify the points of differentiation
- 27. STRONGERVERSION Amplified POLARIZATION by Increasing ENTHUSIASM Among its ARDENT FANS
- 28. CREATING POLARIZATION
- 29. DRIVINGA WEDGEIN THE MARKET MAGNERS had converted the image of its cider into a iced-hip drink Their sales increased as they specifically targeted young professional crowd
- 30. DRIVINGA WEDGEIN THE MARKET Strongbow, its competitor decided to invest more heavily in the core market, even if that meant losing newer consumers. In 2009 it launched an ad campaign with the tagline Bowtime: Hard Earned, featuring images of working- class drinkers hoisting glasses of Strongbow as a reward for a hard day on the job
- 31. SALESROSE BY 23%
- 32. LAUNCH APROVOCATIVE AD FLO, from PROGRESSIVE INSURANCEwas a super peppy character in its ads.
- 33. Though some adore her, many used to hate her
- 34. This negative reaction increased its Brand Awareness and Increased Sales
- 35. Some other POLARIZING Brands in INDIA
- 36. Manufacturer and seller of Traditional clothes in India. Disliked by a major chunk of western-wearing people. Still holds the position of top 20 sellers in India.
- 37. SBI launched a 'crorepati only' branch in Hyderabad. The only criterion required to open an account in the branch is simple: a minimum opening balance of Rs 1 crore. That too only if you have an invitation from the bank.
- 38. Obviously every Indian is not a CROREPATI So in my opinion SBI is polarizing to attract some wealthy persons.
- 39. TATA NANO: A BIG FAILURE
- 40. Solutions: Polarize the brand among the rich and the middle & lower middle class people. Launch an ad to make the middle & lower middle class people feel special and giving them a reason to buy it.
View more >