Lake Cliff Park Rehabilitation and Restoration
Post on 27-Apr-2015
Embed Size (px)
Lake Cliff Park Rehabilitation and RestorationLake Cliff Park was originally developed by Charles Mangold and J.F. Zang in 1914 as the most elaborate and largest amusement center in the south. Investing more than $1,000,000, Mangold and Zang transformed the former Spanns Sanitarium into a vast entertainment venue with theaters, a casino, a Mystic River Ride, natatorium and other facilities. Due to poor attendance, Mangold and Zang sold the property to the City of Dallas in 1914, which then retained famous planner, George Kessler, to design improvements to the exiting park and facilities. Unfortunately, by 1940, all rides and buildings had disappeared, leaving the part in a dilapidated state. Hare & Hare then created a design to transform the park and make it useful for the community once again. Their plan included the creation of a rose garden along with two pavilions, a pergola and latrine building, all constructed between 1941 and 1942.
The Lake Cliff Park Restoration and Rehabilitation scope of work provided additional accessible paths of the park and structures as well restoration and repair work to the four historic buildings of Lake Cliff Park. These buildings include the corner Pergola, Rose Garden Pavilion, Picnic Pavilion and Latrine.
The Rose Garden Pavilion and Pergola received new roofs, which matched the original and unique layered shingle paths to both buildings created as well as a path connecting to the Rose Garden. The Rose Garden also had its cupola restored to the original design, including its copper finial and both buildings received sympathetic lighting. The historic fountain was also rehabilitated. The metal railings were removed and the depth of the fountain modified to meet current code. The bottom was resurfaced and fountain heads and pumps repaired and replaced. overlay design. Additionally, the areas of stone and wood deterioration were repaired or replaced and accessibility
There is an existing bridge, over a lake inlet, which connects the Rose Garden Pavilion and Pergola side of the park to the Latrine and Picnic Pavilion area. The bridge received stone and railing repairs. The lake inlet required major retaining wall repairs and large areas of replacement. Extensive dredging and excavation of the inlet water bottom was done, increasing the performance of the inlet water canal and removing massive amount of built up sludge that had developed over the years. Detailed structural retaining walls, including replication of original concrete patterns, were also recreated at the canal. Inlet railings throughout this area were replaced and repaired. The Picnic Pavilion received a new roof, lighting, stone and wood repair. All stone replacement, mortar and paint
colors were selected to match and restore the original design. Lighting placement was sensitive to the existing building. The Latrine received repairs to its metal tiled roof, including reconstruction and replacement of missing tiles. The
structure and located to minimize its visual impact of the fixture but allowing for proper illumination of the
historic mortar and paint colors were discovered and restored to match the original design. The interior was drastically modified in the 1960s, and, due to current ADA requirements, modern fixtures and lighting were installed. common brick to show. More importantly, it was a dangerous drop in grade elevation towards the surface of the with original feel of the park. New concrete paths were provided in the Picnic and Latrine area to re-create the original 1940 Hare and Hare plan. This new sidewalk provides several connections to new grilling and picnic table areas as well as connection to the wonderful playground, constructed in a recent previous phase, with the famous lake cliff rocket ship slide. With the restoration of the four existing buildings, modifications to the path ways, repairs to the water retaining walls, the playground and added security of the increased lighting, Lake Cliff Park has once again become popular location for community activity. The creek side elevation of the earth work had eroded over the years allowing for the foundation
lake inlet. New grade build up and a retaining wall were provided with new flag stone material which is in keeping