How to create critical thinking skills
out of 8
Post on 26-Dec-2014
Embed Size (px)
- 1. How to create Critical Thinking Skills By Amelia Orozco
- 2. How to make critical thinking skills Why do We Need Critical thinking Skills? Critical thinking skills are used in many aspects of everyday life and are particularly important for university students to master before advancing into a professional career. At home we use these ideas to make sure that our children are being raised properly, attending the right educational institution and receiving proper medical care.
- 3. At our professional work environment we engage with people whooften retaliate when conditions are unfavorable so we learn, analysis, and decide which coarse of action is best to use ineach individual situation. As an Arts and Sciences major, itwould be beneficial to understand how to break large pieces ofinformation down in order to process it in manner so we canpresent unique ideas.1) Examining information from different angles and perspectives is central to critical thinking when reading and researching in preparation for Academic Coursework. It enables students to gain comprehensive knowledge of asubject topics before accepting these new ideas and applyingthem.The elements of critical thinking are central to the learningprocess. It is a way for students, parents or professionals totake many pieces of information and break it down intomeaningful parts and re assemble it into a main idea or thoughtprocess. This also gives us the life experiences we need to makeproperly educated assumptions without bias.
- 4. 2) Sometimes this may require questioning previous assumptions,looking at things from alternative perspectives, researchingwidely to substantiate facts and comparing gathered informationso that students, parents or professionals can gain accurate dataand develop informed, well-balanced arguments.Those who use critical thinking skills are in fact also using TheScientific method to do this very task. This method includesphysical observation is the observing with eyes, then we make aneducated guess of what that could mean, then we can makepredictions and test these predictions.
- 5. For example, I just got a new puppy , he is a three month old golden retriever and boy is he cute! Loll But he wasnt getting as big as the neighbors dog who came from the same litter. So I use the Scientific method to state the problem:-Dog not getting bigger. Why? (step one scientific method Physical observation)What could be making the dog not grow? (Step two Make aneducated guess of what it could mean, food , size oflitter, health.)
- 6. -What is some of the ways the neighbor is handling the weight issue? Is he feeding him more is he exercising him less?( step three make predictions based on what we know) -What do we know? How can we test this hypothesis? Maybe feed the dog more. (Final step of Scientific method testing your ideas.)3) There are so many ways to do this as a student or a parent. I find it exciting, like a mystery every time I have to tackle a analytical situation. I have fun figuring out the different alternatives of what could happen if we try it this way. How do we know it will happen that way? Afterwards if you can, ask someone who has tried it and see what their results were!
- 7. Critical thinkers are a job qualifying title to people whoread and research and are open-minded and willing toconsider alternatives to the issues before formingconclusions or arguments ,and most importantly they listento others in their life experiences before committing to aconclusion.
- 8. ~ The process of learning and using lifes experiences to guide you while working out a situation, explaining some dilemma, answering particular questions, or settling a certain issue is the common purpose of this learning process. One cannot process information, form reasonable opinions, evaluate beliefs, construct positions, or articulate a thesis without the use of research and evaluation learned from forming a hypothesis based on life experiences.
View more >
Dr. Rebecca Stobaugh Ramping Up the Critical Thinking in ...create- ?· Ramping Up the Critical Thinking…
Critical Thinking Workshop - Thinking Workshop Slides... · CRITICAL THINKING WORKSHOP ... successful…
Critical Thinking Critical Thinking is Unnatural Defining Critical Thinking Educating Critical Thinkers Critical Thinking is Unnatural Defining Critical
Critical Thinking - Syllabus - umb. ?· Critical and Creative Thinking Program Critical Thinking CrCrTh…