GRIEF & LOSS STAGES ELISABETH KUBLER-ROSS. Anytime we suffer a significant loss, we experience grief. The intensity of the grief depends on the loss
out of 10
Post on 16-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- GRIEF & LOSS STAGES ELISABETH KUBLER-ROSS
- Slide 2
- Anytime we suffer a significant loss, we experience grief. The intensity of the grief depends on the loss. The loss could be the end of a meaningful relationship, the breakup of ones family, the death of a pet, the death of a family member IN GENERAL
- Slide 3
- STAGE 1: DENIAL & ISOLATION Denial and/or shock are often a persons initial reaction followed by numbness. There may also be a feeling of isolation or helplessness. These feelings are an attempt to avoid reality by saying or thinking, It is all a bad dream and will go away. Buys us time to be able to cope with the loss.
- Slide 4
- STAGE 2: ANGER Anger is a natural reaction, an outlet for resentment at being a victim. There may be envy of other who have not experienced such a loss. The person often takes out the anger on those close by friends and family. Why me?...
- Slide 5
- STAGE 3: BARGAINING The person seeks to postpone the loss by making promises, often to God, to be a better person. Ill do this if you will only do
- Slide 6
- STAGE 4: DEPRESSION The numbness, anger, and rage felt previously are now replaced with a sense of great loss. Feelings of great loneliness, isolation, helplessness, and sadness are characteristics of this stage.
- Slide 7
- STAGE 5: ACCEPTANCE Facing reality in a constructive way. It allows for action. Learning from our mistakes and remembering the good times.
- Slide 8
- OTHER NAMES FOR STAGES SHOCK Denial & Isolation SUFFERING Anger, Bargaining, and Depression RECOVERY - Acceptance
- Slide 9
- FINAL NOTES Everyone goes through the stages at a different rate. We often bounce back and forth between the stages no specific order. It is possible to get stuck in a specific stage. At the anniversary of a loss, the some of the stages may be revisited. Everyone copes with loss in a different way.
- Slide 10
- COPING 1. How can you cope with a loss in a healthy manner? 2. How can you help a friend cope with a loss?
View more >
Grief and Emotional Loss - ?· Page 2 Signs of Grief and Emotional Loss People going through grief or emotional loss may: • refuse to believe that the person is really dead; • be angry, with
Grief and Loss - Trauma Academy/Grief and... · Grief and Loss Defined by • Grief – keenmentalsufferingordistressoverafflictionor loss;sharpsorrow;painfulregret
Learn to Understand Grief and Loss - ?· LEARN TO . UNDERSTAND GRIEF AND LOSS. COUNSELLING AND . ...…