EU Research and Development Funding for SMEs / Networks, Dr Robert Bunn, Invest NI
Post on 20-Aug-2015
- 1. Title of the presentation | Date| |# IRT Teams | Sept 08 #EU R&D Funding for SMEs / NetworksDr Robert Bunn
- 2. Title of the presentation | Date| |# IRT Teams | Sept 08 #Invest Northern Ireland Encourages Collaboration Knowledge Transfer PartnershipsCollaborative NetworksCompetence CentresCollaborationEnterprise Europe NetworkInnovation VouchersCollaborative R&D Support
- 3. Title of the presentation | Date| |# IRT Teams | Sept 08 #HORIZON 2020 (2014-2020) 70.20 (?) billion research and innovation funding programme New framework programme bringing together three separate programmes/initiatives (FP, EIT, CIP) Continuation of investment in frontier research More support for innovation activities focus on business opportunities Simplification (e.g. reduction of average time to grant by 100 days)
- 4. Title of the presentation | Date| |# IRT Teams | Sept 08 #HORIZON 2020 Whats new? Single set of rules for participation, coherent with other new EU Programmes One project one funding rate - Eligible costs: direct + indirect (flat rate, O/H @ 25% of direct costs) - 100% rate for research projects; - 70% rate for activities closer to market; Simple evaluation criteria: Excellence, Implementation, Impact (weighting ?) New funding schemes: - pre-commercial procurement, prizes, loan and equity instruments
- 5. Title of the presentation | Date| |# IRT Teams | Sept 08 #Horizon 2020: Three priorities 1. Excellent Science2. Competitive Industries3. Better Society
- 6. Title of the presentation | Date| |# IRT Teams | Sept 08 #Horizon 2020: Excellent Science (Bn) European Research Council (ERC) Supporting world leading scientist in blue sky research11.93Future and Emerging Technologies (FET) Collaborative research to open new fields of innovation2.46Marie Skodowska-Curie actions (MSCA) Opportunities for training and career development5.62Research infrastructures (including e-infrastructure) Ensuring access to world-class facilities2.27
- 7. Title of the presentation | Date| |# IRT Teams | Sept 08 #Horizon 2020: Three priorities 1. Excellent Science2. Competitive Industries3. Better Society
- 8. Title of the presentation | Date| |# IRT Teams | Sept 08 #Horizon 2020: Competitive Industries (Bn) Leadership in enabling and industrial technologies (LEIT)12.35ICT (45 %), nanotechnologies (22 %), biotechnology (3 %), space, etc.Access to risk finance2.59Leveraging private finance and venture capital for research and innovation Innovation in SMEs Fostering all forms of innovation in all types of SMEs0.6 complemented by c. 20% of societal challenges and industrial leadership access to risk finance with strong SME focus
- 9. Title of the presentation | Date| |# IRT Teams | Sept 08 #Horizon 2020: Three priorities 1. Excellent Science2. Competitive Industries3. Better Society
- 10. Title of the presentation | Date| |# IRT Teams | Sept 08 #Horizon 2020: Better Society (Bn) Health, demographic change & wellbeing6.81Food security, sustainable agriculture & the bio-economy3.51Secure, clean and efficient energy5.40Smart, green & integrated transport5.78Climate action, resource efficiency & raw materials2.81Europe in a changing world - inclusive, innovative & reflective societies1.20Secure societies protecting freedom & security of Europe and its citizen1.50
- 11. Title of the presentation | Date| |# IRT Teams | Sept 08 #SMEs, Entrepreneurs, Innovation at the core of EU2020 strategy
- 12. Title of the presentation | Date| |# IRT Teams | Sept 08 #SMEs that participate in EU Projects: Increase their R&D and innovation capability by tapping into the best knowledge in the union Get access to international networks Get access to new markets and customers Have access to qualified staff Increase their reputation and visibility on an EU level
- 13. Title of the presentation | Date| |# IRT Teams | Sept 08 #Strategic Positioning of SME Programmes Transnational CooperationHorizon 2020 Collaborative Research Target: R&D topicsR&D driven projectsEurostars Target: R&D intensive SMEHorizon 2020 SME instrument Target: Business innovation motivated SMEsNational & regional programsCooperation at regional or national levelMarket opportunity driven projects
- 14. Title of the presentation | Date| |# IRT Teams | Sept 08 #SME Instrument Phase 1: Concept and feasibility assessment Input: Idea/Concept: "Business Plan 1" (~ 10 pages) 10% budget Activities: Feasibility of concept Risk assessment IP regime Partner search Design study Pilot application etc. Output: elaborated "Business plan 2" 10-15% successPhase 2: R&D, demonstration, mark et replicationInput: "Business plan 2" plus description of activities under Phase 2 (~ 30 pages) 90% budget Activities: Development, prototyping, testing, piloting, miniaturisation, scaling-up, market replication, research Output: "investor-ready Business plan 3"Phase 3: CommercialisationPromote instrument as quality label for successful projects Facilitate access to private finance Support via networking , training, information, addressing i.a. IP management, knowledge sharing, dissemination SME window in the EU financial facilities (debt facility and equity facility) Possible connection to PPC (and PPI?)40-50% successLump sum: 50.000 1-3 (5) M EC funding~ 6 months~ 12 to 24 monthsNo direct funding
- 15. Title of the presentation | Date| |# IRT Teams | Sept 08 #NI Horizon 2020 Contact Points H2020 Manager & Contact Points: Health (QUB and UU)Engineering (QUB)ICT (QUB x2)SSH (QUB)Energy (UU)Food/Agriculture (AFBI)SMEs (Invest NI) Close links with UK and Irish NCPs NI network includes: InterTradeIreland & Brussels-based NI team
- 16. Title of the presentation | Date| |# IRT Teams | Sept 08 #UK/Ireland Funding ProgrammesEU R&D Funding ProgrammesInvest NI Collaborative R&D Support Service
- 17. Title of the presentation | Date| |# IRT Teams | Sept 08 #Eurostars 2 International collaborative research and innovation project lead by a research performing SME Development of an innovative new product, process or service Two application deadlines per year (Next deadline 13th March 2014) Evaluation by Independent Experts Maximum Grant of 300,000 at 60% of eligible project costs (UKs TSB rules).
- 18. Title of the presentation | Date| |# IRT Teams | Sept 08 #Marie Skodowska Curie Actions in Horizon 2020 5.6 billion budget Main objective - to ensure optimum development and dynamic use of Europes intellectual capital in order to generate new skills and innovation Marie S-Curie Actions = excellent researchers training, mobility and career development
- 19. Title of the presentation | Date| |# IRT Teams | Sept 08 #Marie Skodowska Curie Actions in Horizon 2020 Innovative Training Networks - ITNResearch networks supporting training of Masters and PhD studentsIndividual FellowshipsSupport for experienced researchers undertaking mobilityR&I Staff Exchange RISEInternational and inter-sector cooperation through the exchange of research and innovation staffCOFUNDCo-funding of regional, national and international programmes covering actions 1, 2 and 3
- 20. Title of the presentation | Date| |# IRT Teams | Sept 08 #Marie Skodowska Curie Actions in Horizon 2020 Innovative Training Networks - ITN Promoting inter-sectoral & international collaboration in research training Academic Non-Academic Non-academic = private sector, public sector, third sector (NGOs, charities, etc.) Proposing three types of network 1. European Training Networks (minimum 3 partners, 3 countries) 2. European Joint Doctorates (minimum 3 partners, 3 countries) 3. European Industrial Doctorates (minimum 2 partners; one academic, one non-academic)
- 21. Title of the presentation | Date| |# IRT Teams | Sept 08 #Marie Skodowska Curie Actions in Horizon 2020 Research & Innovation Staff Exchange - RISE Promoting transfer of knowledge between countries and sectors Two types of RISE award: International staff exchanges between Europe and non-European countries Inter-sectoral staff exchanges between different sectors in Europe (no intra-national exchanges)Funds exchange visits from 1 month to 1 year and networking activities (workshops, meetings, conferences, etc.)
- 22. Title of the presentation | Date| |# IRT Teams | Sept 08 #Research Clusters in Horizon 2020 Horizon 2020= excellence at EU levelEuropean Structural & Investment Funds (ESIF) = capacity-building in situ 4 thematic objectives: R&I business support low carbon economy ICT?? Contextual strategies: Regional Smart Specialisation Strategies (S3) Possibility of Synergistic Funding (NOT double funding) Approach ? Networks at EU level ? ERRIN ??
- 23. Title of the presentation | Date| |# IRT Teams | Sept 08 #Invest NI can help Identify the most appropriate funding scheme for your project idea and research needs Provide advice on UK and EU funding rules, regulations and eligibility criteria Assist you to find the right partners through the Enterprise Europe Network and ERRIN Signpost you to further specialist events and advice (NICP, NCP) Invest NI financial support for proposal preparation
- 24. Title of the presentation | Date| |# IRT Teams | Sept 08 #Invest NI: Horizon 2020 Innovation Voucher Opening December 2013 NOW LIVE ! Helping SMEs to work with a knowledge provider in their field to engage in Horizon 2020 SME applies directly to Invest NI 4000 (5000) voucher to support SMEs to: Understand structures Build consortia Prepare their contribution to proposals
- 25. Title of the presentation | Date| |# IRT Teams | Sept 08 #Invest NI Financial Support for Preparing Collaborative R&D applications For Companies & Academics Eligible Costs Labour Consultancy Fees Legal Advice Travel and Subsistence CostsProject Definition
- 26. Title of the presentation | Date| |# IRT Teams | Sept 08 #Invest NI EU R&D Liaison Service in Brussels EU Funding and Policy Information services Early Intelligence on EU calls (EU Funding Briefs) EU R&D and Innovation Policy Monitoring (Brussels Bulletin)Project Development Support Partner searches Organisation of meetings with the EC, potential partnersEU Networking activities & profiling the Region Relations with EC officials Build strategic links with other regions, networks Organise Events to showcase Northern Ireland expertise
- 27. Title of the presentation | Date| |# IRT Teams | Sept 08 #Team Contact Details NICPs for SMEs Team Leader Horizon 2020 UK NCP SMEs Joanne Coyle Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgTel. 028 9069 8807R&D Collaboration and EEN Executives Northern Ireland Lisa OReilly Email: email@example.comTel. 028 9069 8594Robert Bunn Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgTel. 028 9069 8602R&D Liaison Executive Brussels Farha Brahmi Email: email@example.comTel. 00 32 2 290 1345
- 28. InterTradeIreland Horizon 2020 Partner identification and matching - Research Connections Web Tool - SSH Guide - Advisory Service & EU Notice Board Partnership development - Cross -Border Collaboration Voucher - EU Travel Scheme Information & Dissemination - Thematic events - Dedicated website & newsletter - Case Studies - Horizon 2020 app
- 29. For further information: Visit: http://www.intertradeireland.com/fp7support/ Or contact:Carrie Small, Project Manager EU Programmes Tel: 028 3083 4172 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Catherine Halbert, ITI Horizon 2020 Facilitator Email: email@example.com
- 30. Title of the presentation | Date| |# IRT Teams | Sept 08 #What Next? Talk to us about your research needs we are free! Think strategically, look medium to long term Successful participation is often the culmination of a process, so be prepared - join networks, be open to collaboration, come to information sessions Register as an evaluator - learn the process from the inside. Start early
- 31. www.enterpriseeuropeni.com
View more >
Green Paper Towards a Common Strategic Framework for EU Research and Innovation Funding dr. András Siegler Director DG Research & Innovation.
Horizon 2020 funding for innovative SMEs and technology ... 2020 funding for innovative SMEs and technology transfer ... - Strengthening the EU’s global positionin research, ... IPR strategy, investigating ...
Grantsmanship The path to securing funding for you and your research Dr Miriam Ryan, Research Development Officer.