delivering a strategic and delightful user experience
out of 36
Post on 09-Aug-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Developing a Strategic and Delightful SAP User Experience William Newman, CMC, BTPM June 25, 2015 Public Presentation to the ASUG Michigan Chapter
- 2. 2015 SAP SE or an SAP affiliate company. All rights reserved. 2Public Agenda Introduction The Promise: Common Drivers of UX Programs An Approach: How to Get Started with your UX Efforts Some Early Results: Encouraging News from the Field Wrap-up: 5 Pitfalls to Avoid & 7 Key Take-away Points Discussion
- 3. 2015 SAP SE or an SAP affiliate company. All rights reserved. 3Public Introduction William (Bill) Newman, CMC, BTPM Sr. Principal, SAP Business Transformation Services Over 30 years in industry, professional services Certified Management Consultant (since 1995) Business Transformation Program Manager (since 2014) Adjunct faculty appointments: Northwood University (International Management), University of Oregon (Sustainability Leadership), University of Michigan Dearborn (Marketing Policy / MBA) Management Consulting Taskforce (Michigan Assn. of CPAs) Former National Board Member (Institute of Management Consulting) Professional Speaker (TEDx, Michigan Assn. of CPAs, Voice of America, The Customer Edge, American SAP User Group, PMI, SAP Insider, others) Numerous articles on program oversight, stakeholder engagement, strategy, value management, sustainable supply chain, social media Twitter (@william_newman) Google+ (+William Newman) LinkedIn (LinkedInfluencer) www.linkedin.com/in/wnewman Hello.
- 4. The Promise Common Drivers of UX Programs
- 5. 2015 SAP SE or an SAP affiliate company. All rights reserved. 5Public 73% percent of executives said the complexity of data is the largest IT challenge (Forrester, 2013 report) The cost of complexity Complex technology 10.2% or US$237 billion of profits are lost by top 200 global companies due to hidden costs of complexity Global Simplicity Index, 2013 Large organizations can spend between 40% and 80% of their time on non-value-added activities (BCG, Complexity Report) Complex business processes Large global organizations have created so much complexity that businesses often struggle to bring good ideas to the marketplace profitably. (McKinsey, 2014) Complex user experiences
- 6. 2015 SAP SE or an SAP affiliate company. All rights reserved. 6Public User experience complexity in the automotive industry Scattered information Low user acceptance High data latency Multiple UI technologies Information that needs to be collected from different systems or transactions Inconsistent and outdated due to batch processing and duplication Complex user interfaces that vary by system and device No personalization Low-performing simulations and unintuitive user interfaces High error rates Long analysis and reporting cycle time Lower employee productivity Delayed decision making Lower employee productivity
- 7. 2015 SAP SE or an SAP affiliate company. All rights reserved. 7Public Key Trends UX Driving Change This drives SAP customers to expect simple, easy to use UX for all environments. This is in concert with SAPs RUN SIMPLE strategy. 1 3 Gain productivity Increase user adoption Decrease user errors Save training costs GreatUser Experience 2
- 8. 2015 SAP SE or an SAP affiliate company. All rights reserved. 8Public Why UX Is Important To SAP Customers? Enable better informed decisions based on accurate data Leverage existing investment & lower TCO/TCU Increase employee engagement Improve operational efficiency & process compliance Simple access to SAP systems Relevant data at users fingertips Coherent and cohesive user interaction
- 9. 2015 SAP SE or an SAP affiliate company. All rights reserved. 9Public SAP UX Strategy (Revisited) Top use scenarios Core use scenarios Specific customer value use scenarios Existing Applications RENEW ENABLE SAP Fiori Renovation Enablement Tools (e.g. SAP Screen Personas) NEW New Applications Usage/Reach
- 10. 2015 SAP SE or an SAP affiliate company. All rights reserved. 10Public UX + SAP S/4 HANA simplifies user experience for manufacturing Contextual information High user acceptance Zero data latency Role-based, harmonized UI technologies SAP Smart Business cockpits with key information on one screen and easy-to-use navigation for decision support Real real-time: decisions made on massive amounts of live data at the most granular level New applications based on SAP S/4HANA designed with SAP Fiori UX to provide a role-based, mobile-first, consistent experience across lines of business SAP Fiori user experience (UX) supporting modern design principles for insight to action, decision support, and simulation 20%Higher revenue per employee SAP Benchmarking DB 147%Higher annual revenue growth and 30%Improvement in employee and partner responsiveness and decision making The Greatship Group SAP Reference DB 40%Improved user productivity SAP Reference DB 11%Higher operating income on average SAP Benchmarking DB
- 11. 2015 SAP SE or an SAP affiliate company. All rights reserved. 11Public Finding the Right Balance How do I get started, where do I begin, who needs to be involved?
- 12. An Approach Getting Started with your UX Program
- 13. 2015 SAP SE or an SAP affiliate company. All rights reserved. 13Public Getting Started with SAP UX SAP UX methods, tools and techniques represent a new approach for both SAP and also its customers. As such it is critical that a core team (typically inside IT) be responsible for communicating to the organization: SAP UX capabilities, direction & roadmap Approach, best practices, advisory resources available How and when to identify value for UX efforts Without this, SAP UX programs fail to deliver on the promise of viable, feasible and desirable SAP solutions with tangible business benefit.
- 14. 2015 SAP SE or an SAP affiliate company. All rights reserved. 14Public Step 1: Understand SAP UX Roadmap, Internalize Philosophy a Understand SAP UX Roadmap (presentation) b Internalize SAP UX Philosophy (openSAP course) SAP UX Strategy in a Nutshell by Sam Yen https://open.sap.com/courses/uxn1/
- 15. 2015 SAP SE or an SAP affiliate company. All rights reserved. 15Public Step 2: Understand Your Company Strategy Remember, a UX program is not a purely technical program. While there are technical aspects, the UX program should be business driven with key questions which must be answered. These include: What is the business value, direction for UX? How will we enable? (HTML5, Mobile App, both?) What user groups are impacted? What volumes? What is the overall adoption strategy for SAP? What other specific BU pain points are addressed? A common method to organize is the 4-panel strategy. From this a broader business canvas can be expressed, which supports many initiatives including the UX program.
- 16. 2015 SAP SE or an SAP affiliate company. All rights reserved. 16Public Step 3: Create a Business Inventory of Candidate Targets Based on customer issue logs, usage behaviors and breadth of application use, select a short list of candidate targets to consider. Keep in mind to focus on active user* groups, large scale pain points effecting many user communities / BUs, as well as applications that have been implemented that have not achieved high adoption levels. Tools to use to develop business inventory of candidate targets include: Customer call logs, issue logs KNOA Solution Manager (active user counts) Issue Description Priority (if known) Contact Candidate ? Contract create/change/display Contracts creations, updates and display. Too many screens - so much stuff we don't use here causes "noise" and can be streamlined. Hits multiple Bus. 1 - High Pricing and Condition records Too many screens - so much stuff we don't use here causes "noise" and can be streamlined. Hits multiple Bus. 1 - High sales orders Customer service folks - speed of entering sales orders, contracts, -way too many steps to enter the order. 1 - High x Issuing Finished Goods through multiple systems Issue: Issuing finished goods through multiple systems is very painful and causes a ton of rework. There are multiple systems to input information and I have to know the right system for each scenario and all of the right execution steps in order to get shipments out the door 1 - High May not have enough SAP GUI content STOs Issue: STO = Stock Transport Order (process for moving product between 2 plants). There are so many execution steps to perform STOs - its very frustrating its hard to keep track and make sure they are accurate. It feels like its a bunch of redundant steps 1 - High x * SAP defines active users as users with 400+ transactions/month, a key metric in service demand planning. Early watch reports can determine active user levels.
- 17. 2015 SAP SE or an SAP affiliate company. All rights reserved. 17Public Step 4: Validate Inventory with Available Fiori Apps Current Fiori App Catalogue (subject to change at any time) http://help.sap.com/fiori_bs2013/helpdata/en/ed/e1e153ddf60466e10000000a423f68/frameset.htm Hundreds of available apps pre-written, tested and validated by SAP and its partners. Some highly used processes and transactions include: Sales order creation, management Quote creation, management Access control management Invoice creation, approval Time & Expense creation, approval Leave request, approval Best practice is to try to leverage Fiori apps first, thereby also moving back to more standard SAP processes without recreating the wheel.
- 18. 2015 SAP SE or an SAP affiliate company. All rights reserved. 18Public Step 5: Determine Additional SAP UX Targets SAP FIORI (Wave 1) Scenario OUT OF THE BOX DO IT YOURSELF Top Scenario Core Scenario Customer Scenario BUSINESS SUITE RENEWAL SAP SCREEN PERSONAS BUSINESS SUITE RENEWAL SAP FIORI (Wave
View more >