christmas is the best time of year. in poland, christmas is celebrated in a very special way. people...
Post on 22-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- Slide 2
- Christmas is the best time of year. In Poland, Christmas is celebrated in a very special way. People begin to think about Christmas and prepare carefully for it since early November. Even in Advent we can observe the signs of Christmas coming - the cities, the shops, the streets are decorated elaborately.
- Slide 3
- Slide 4
- In Advent children get an advent calendar and they have to open a little window and eat a small candy each day.
- Slide 5
- Then, finally, the Christmas Eve comes. In the morning we decorate the Christmas tree with stars, glass beads, chains, tinsel and candies. A typical Polish Christmas tree is very colourful.
- Slide 6
- When the first star appears on the sky (which is about 5 oclock) everyone gathers around the table. First we pray, share the wafer and wish each other a Merry Christmas. It is celebrated mainly in the family circle.
- Slide 7
- On this day, many national meals are served (traditionally 12 meals), including borsch (beetroot soup), cabbage with mushrooms, carp, herring and poppy cake.
- Slide 8
- Slide 9
- We put some hay under the table-cloth what symbolizes the place where Christ was born. Traditionally, one place at the table is left for an unexpected guest. After dinner we sing Christmas carols and children wait for Star man, who brings gifts. The presents are placed under the Christmas tree.
- Slide 10
- At midnight, many people traditionally go to church to attend matins. In the church, the manger is particularly popular with the children.
- Slide 11
- There is also a tradition to have a Christmas dinner at school. Students make pies, bake cakes and prepare salads. We cover the benches and decorate the classroom. Then we share the wafer and after the dinner we sing Christmas carols.
- Slide 12
- On New Year's Eve we go to the party or spend the evening at home with friends or family. At midnight we drink champagne and wish each other a Happy New Year. Then we go outside to see fireworks.
View more >
How the Victorians celebrated Christmas. Before Victorian England Christmas was a holiday not celebrated by many. They did not have Christmas tree’s at
Christmas in Poland. On Christmas Eve people in Poland decorate their Christmas trees and put presents under them
Alfred s Premier Piano Course Holidays 2009 Christmas ... nbsp;· Piano Course Celebrated Christmas Duets Chanukah Christmas Jazz, ... 1 won der ful Ê time ... Celebrated Christmas Duets, Books 1–3
CHRISTMAS. Christmas Annual holiday celebrated on december 25th Commemorates the birth of Jesus Christ Celebrated throughout the Christian population