Post on 22-Dec-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONBuddhism Blue Cliff Record Meditation Koan
- 1. Introduction toChn Meditation 2010/08/28 Buddhist Association of Canada Cham Shan Temple
2. Buddhist Association of Canada Cham Shan Temple n m f tu Namo Buddha n m d m Namo Dharma n m sng qi Namo Sangha 3. Meditation with Four Immeasurable Minds 4. Contemplation on Renunciation/Equanimity (Upeksa) Mind
- Contemplate on Equanimity:
- Equanimity is the crown and culmination of the four sublime states. ,
- Equanimity is a perfect, unshakable balance of mind, rooted in insight. , , ,
- Equanimity requires us to be in the vigilant presence of Bodhi mind, not in the state of indifferent dullness; and requires us to understand kamma, causes and effects, and let go. ,
5. Contemplation on Renunciation/Equanimity (Upeksa) Mind
- Contemplate on Renunciation/Equanimity:
- Equanimity should be based on the Buddhas teaching of no-self. To establish equanimity as an unshakable state of mind, one has to give up all possessive thoughts of mine. ,
- Practicing renunciation requires us to understand the principle of impermanence, principle of non-self and the reality of existence and to fully pervade perfect equanimity. ,
6. Contemplation on Renunciation/Equanimity (Upeksa) Mind
- Contemplate on Renunciation/Equanimity:
- It is importance to realize that every matter does not possess its own nature, and is thus transient and not real, subject to ever-changing conditions. Thus, we dont attach them and let them go. , ,
- Observing equanimity requires us to break up all kinds of greed, hatred and illusion. We are never controlled by emotions. Thus, we gain wisdoms to liberate others and ourself. ,
- The Vajra Prajn Pramit Sutra
The Vajra Prajn Pramit Sutra 8. Chapter 10 The Adornment of Pure Lands
- The Buddha said to Subhuti, what do you think? Was there any Dharma which the Tathgata obtained while with Burning Lamp Buddha? No, World Honored One, there was actually no Dharma which the Tathgata obtained while with Burning Lamp Buddha. Subhuti, what do you think, does a Bodhisattva adorn Buddhalands? No, World Honored One. And why? The adornment of Buddhalands is no adornment, therefore it is called adornment.
9. Chapter 10 The Adornment of Pure Lands
- Therefore, Subhuti, the Bodhisattva, Mahsattva, should thus produce a pure heart. He should produce that heart without dwelling in forms. He should produce that heart without dwelling in sounds, smells, tastes, tangible objects, or dharmas. He should produce that heart without dwelling anywhere.
10. Chapter 10 The Adornment of Pure Lands
- Subhuti, suppose a person had a body like Sumeru, King of Mountains. What do you think, would that body be big? Subhuti said, Very big, World Honored One. And why? It is said by the Buddha to be no body. Therefore it is called a big body.
11. Chapter 11The Supremacy of Unconditioned Blessings
- Subhuti, if there were as many Ganges Rivers as there are grains of sand in the Ganges River, what do you think, would the grains of sand in all those Ganges Rivers be many? Subhuti said, Very many, World Honored One. The Ganges Rivers alone would be incalculable, how much the more so the grains of sand in them.
12. Chapter 11The Supremacy of Unconditioned Blessings
- Subhuti I will now tell you the truth. If a good man, or good woman, used the seven precious gems to fill three thousand great thousand world systems equal in number to the grains of sand in all those Ganges Rivers, and gave them as a gift, would he obtain many blessings? Subhuti said, Very many, World Honored One. the Buddha told Subhuti, If a good man, or good woman, were to receive and hold from this Sutra even so few as four lines of verse and speak them for others, his blessings and virtue would surpass the formers blessings and virtue.
13. 14. Case 25 The Hermit of Lotus Flower Peak Holds up His Staff
- The hermit of Lotus held his staff up to a group and said, When the ancients got here, why wouldnt they stay? No one spoke, so he himself answered, Because they did not gain power on the road. He also said, What about the ultimate (goal)? Again he himself replied, With my palm-made staff across my shoulder, minding no one, I go straight into the myriad peaks.
15. Case 25 The Hermit of Lotus Flower Peak Holds up His Staff
- Dust and sand in his eyes, dirt in his ears,
- He wont stay in the myriad peaks.
- The falling flowers and flowing waters are very extensive
- Take a quick look who knows where hes gone?
- Shengguang Shi
- Tom Cheung
- Kam Cheung
- Dennis Yap
Questions and Comments 17.