Post on 01-Jul-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONBuddhism Koan Meditation Blue Cliff Record
- 1. Introduction toChn Meditation 2010/5/15 Buddhist Association of Canada Cham Shan Temple
2. Buddhist Association of Canada Cham Shan Temple n m f tu Namo Buddha n m d m Namo Dharma n m sng qi Namo Sangha 3. -3 Prefect Practice Discipline Shila : Greed Meditation Dhyana : Anger Wisdom-Prajna : Ignorance
4. Six Wonderful Gates . Count, Following, Samatha, Vipasanna, Return, Pure 5. Meditation Dhyna, Jhna, , Chn-n , Seon, Zen, Thin, Samten, Meditation Walking is Chn, sitting is Chn; the essence is calm andnatural; whether talking, silence, moving, standing 6. Mind Heart - Citta Careful Kind Caring Careless Detail Happy Heartbreaking Worry Disgusting Distracted Sincere Goodness Evil Mind Focus Calculative Desert Vow Deep in love Determined Preserver Moving Truly Humble Clear mind Single mind Concentrate Sorry At ease Illusion Centre 7. Purifying the Mind Mindful of the Precious Three: Buddha, Dharma,Sangha 8. Citta Mindfulness/Insightfulness
- Always protect your thoughts and your senses.
- Always present at the moment.
- Always apply mindfulness.
9. Always Still. Always Illuminat ing. < > I have a pearl. It is always covered with dusts. One day, all dusts are gone and the pearl starts to illuminate. It shines through thousand miles of mountains and rivers. 10. Buddhist Meditation
- Uphold Precepts & Prostrate
- Meditate & Be Mindful
- Uphold & Chant Mahayana Sutras
11. Chih-Kuan ( Samatha Vipasanna) 1. Gradual Chih-Kuan - Practice is shallow at first and deep later, which implies a gradual development. Understanding, however, is said to come suddenly. , , 2. Unfixed Chih-Kuan - The Six Wonderful Dharma Gates ,isthe step-by-step method leading to sudden understanding. Here, practice is gradual at first and then sudden.- , 3. Perfect Chih-Kuan - All conditions and reality are merely three contemplations in one mind, and that there is only sudden understanding with no distinction as to when it began or as to how and where it progressed thereafter. , , 12. Observing The Mind
- Looking inward at the source of thought can reduces false thought and can help to reveal ones own True Nature
- Mahayana sutras state that Prajna must be accompanied by Universal Illumination. :
- The Four Grounds of the Mindfulness states that one who observes the mind can be liberated. :
- The Sutra of Nirvana states that Supreme Dhyana is described as observing the nature of the mind. :
- When you observe the mind, you see the birth and death of thought after thought as having the quality of being magical and unreal.
13. Always Still. Always Illumint ing. < > Nine Mental State 1.Fixing the Mind 2.Fixation with Some Continuity 3.Patch-like placement 4.Good Fixation 5. Becoming Disciplined 6. Becoming Peaceful 7. Fully Pacifying 8. Becoming Single- pointed 9. Fixed Absorption 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 14. 15. Cui Yans Eyebrows At the end of the summer retreat Cui Yan said to the community, All summer long I've been talking to you brothers; look and see if my eyebrows are still there. Pao Fu said, The thief's heart is cowardly. Chang Qing said, Grown. Yun Men said, A barrier. 16. Cui Yans instruction has never had a reply. The word barrier answers back. Lose money and suffer punishment. Decrepit old Pao Fu censure or praise do not apply. Cui Yans Eyebrows 17. Talkative Cui Yan is clearly a robber. A white jade without flaw;Who can distinguish true from false? Chang Qing knows- the eyebrows have grown. Cui Yans Eyebrows 18. Once Minister Chen Cao saw a monk came to visit him, hed offered the monk a meal and gave him $300.One day, Yun Men came.Chen immediately asked: I dont want to ask you about 3 vehicles and 12 teachings. Every Dharma hall has a teacher. What is the teaching?Yun said: how many peoples have you asked before? Chen said: Today, only you. What is the teaching ? 19. Yun: Then, put it aside. Let me ask you back what is the teaching?Chen: Yellow rolls with red axis. Yun: These are only words. What is the teaching? Chen: The mouth wants to speak but there are no words. The mind wants to grab but there is no thinking. What is the teaching ? 20. Yun: The mouth wants to speak but there are no words. This is only about talking. The mind wants to grab but there is no thinking. This is only about random thoughts. How do they relate to teaching? Chen didnt know how to answer. Yen asked: I heart you read Lotus Sutra. Chen: Yes : 21. Lotus Sutra said: All owned properties and making a living do not go against the realization ofthe ultimate true. Now you mention attaining the stage of absense of no thinking and doing nothing. Now how many of the practitioners have withdrawn. Chen didnt known what to say. What is the teaching ? 22. What is the teaching ? Yen then said: Minister, you dont have to rush yourself to understand Dharma. I throw away all sutras and commentaries and come to the temple for 20 years and yet I am not able to understand the overall meaning of Buddha teaching. Rushing will not give you better understanding.Chen bowed and said: Sorry, Sorry. 23.
- Shengguang Shi
- Tom Cheung
- Kam Cheung
Questions and Comments 24.