unit3 international negotiations and transactions
Post on 17-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONUnit3 International Negotiations and Transactions - global human resource management
- 1. Unit 3 Global Human Resource Management
- Understand the strategic role of human resource management in the international business
- Be aware of the importance of culture in human resource management in international firms.
- Analyze few of human resource strategies that include management development, staffing, evaluation performance, compensation and labor relations.
- Examine how management development and training programs can increase the value of human capital in an international firm.
- Human resource management (HRM)
- Strategic role of HRM in international firms
- Staffing policy
- Ethnocentric staffing policy
- Polycentric staffing policy
- Geocentric staffing policy
- Choosing the best staffing policy
- Expatriate failure
- Rate of expatriate failure
- Reason for expatriate managers failure
- Reducing expatriate failure in firms
- Global Mindset
- Training and management development
- What happens when expatriates return home?
- Importance of management development to firm strategy
- Determinants of culture
- Differences between individuals and groups
- Role of language in culture
- Impact of culture in workplace
- Evaluation for expatriates
- Reducing Performance Appraisal Bias
- Key issues in compensating expatriates
- Treatment for National differences in compensation
- Payment for expatriates
- Importance of international labor relations
- Concerns of organized labor
- Response of organized labor to MNC power
- Response of MNCs to organized labor
5. Human resource management (HRM)
- Human resource management( HRM ) refers to the activities an organization carries out to utilize its human resources effectively
- These activities include
- determining the firm's human resource strategy
- performance evaluation
- management development
- labor relations
- Firms need to ensure there is a fit between their human resources practices and strategy
6. Strategic role of HRM in international firms The Role of Human Resources in Shaping Organizational Architecture 7. Staffing policy 8. Expatriate failure
- Firms using an ethnocentric or geocentric staffing strategy will have expatriate managers
- Expatriate failureis the premature return of an expatriate manager to the home country
- each expatriate failure can cost between $250,000 and $1 million
- between 16 and 40% of all American expatriates in developed countries fail and almost 70% of Americans assigned to developing countries fail
9. Global mindset
- Aglobal mindsetmay be the fundamental attribute of a global manager
- cognitive complexity
- cosmopolitan outlook
- A global mindset is often acquired early in life from
- a family that is bicultural
- living in foreign countries
- learning foreign languages as a regular part of family life
10. Training and management development
- Training focuses upon preparing the manager for a specific job
- Management development gives the manager a skill and reinforces organizational culture
- Training can reduce expatriate failure
- Cultural training
Appreciation for the host countrys culture
Important to interact with host country national
- Practical training
Helps to ease into day-to-day life in the host country
- Expatriates need good programs for re-integrating themselves back into work life within their home country organization and for utilizing the knowledge they acquired while abroad.
11. International labor relations
- Question:Can organized labor limit the choices available to an international business?
- Labor unions can limit a firm's ability to pursue a transnational or global strategy
- HRM needs to foster harmony and minimize conflict between management and organized labor
12. Activities 10% Structure, content, grammar, consistent with the topic of the video andargument
- Watch video:J&J: Creating a Global Learning Organization.
- Answer the following questions on two pages:
- How do you maintain a decentralized structure but provide development for all employees?
- What would you do?
- What are the limitations?
10% Interventions:content, consistent with the discussion topic and argument. Forum:International Firm Manager.Watch the video Tough Job: A Look at the IMF. After watching it, write your impressions on the Forum % To be evaluated Activities