Understanding Grief. What is Grief? Grief is the normal response of sorrow, emotion, and confusion that comes from losing someone or something important.
Post on 16-Dec-2015
- Slide 1
- Understanding Grief
- Slide 2
- What is Grief? Grief is the normal response of sorrow, emotion, and confusion that comes from losing someone or something important to you. It is a natural part of life. Grief is a typical emotional, physical, and spiritual reaction to death, divorce, job loss, a move away from family and friends, loss of good health due to illness, or a breakup of an intimate relationship.
- Slide 3
- How Does Grief Feel? Just after a death or loss, you may feel empty and numb, as if you are in shock. May experience physical changes: trembling, nausea, trouble breathing, muscle weakness, dry mouth, or trouble sleeping and eating. May experience feelings of anger or guilt Guilt is often expressed as I could have, I should have, and I wish I would have statements May have strange dreams or nightmares, be absent-minded, withdraw socially, or lack the desire to return to work
- Slide 4
- How Long Does Grief Last? Grief lasts as long as it takes you to accept and learn to live with your loss. For some people, grief lasts a few months. For others, grieving may take years. The length of time spent grieving is different for each person. The time spent grieving also depends on your relationship with the person lost (in the case of death) and how prepared you were for the loss.
- Slide 5
- How Will I Know When Im Done Grieving? Every person who experiences a death or other loss goes through a grieving process which can be summed up in 4-steps: 1.Accept the loss 2.Work through and feel the physical and emotional pain of grief 3.Adjust to living in a world without the person or lost item 4.Move on with life The grieving process is typically over when one completes the 4 steps.
- Slide 6
- What If These Feelings Wont Go Away? If you recently experienced a death or other loss, feelings of grief are a normal reaction. But if these feelings persist, ask for help. Grief can lead to depression.
- Slide 7
- Why Talk With the CMHC ? If you are having feelings, thoughts, or behaviors that seem to get in the way of your success, your CMHC may be able to help you figure out why. If you have a mental health condition, your CMHC can help you determine if you need additional assistance or qualify for accommodations. Accommodations are things like extra breaks or a shortened training day to help manage mental health symptoms.
- Slide 8
- How Do I Help Someone Who is Grieving? Tip 1: Listen with compassion. Tip 2: Offer practical assistance. Tip 3: Provide ongoing support. Tip 4: Watch for warning signs. Tip 5: Be aware of local resources (support groups) that may be able to support your friend in ways you can not.
- Slide 9
- Slide 10
- Sources http://www.samhsa.gov/MentalHeal th/Anxiety_Grief.pdfhttp://www.samhsa.gov/MentalHeal th/Anxiety_Grief.pdf http://www.helpguide.org/mental/he lping_grieving.htmhttp://www.helpguide.org/mental/he lping_grieving.htm
View more >
Keyfacts - Grief, loss and ? What is grief and loss? Grief describes how a person feels after the loss of someone or something that is very important to them. The grief experienced
Normal Grief Reactions. Grief an emotion or set of emotions due to a loss Grief is a normal reaction to loss. The absence of grief is abnormal in most.
What is grief? - HWS is grief? Grief occurs in response to the loss of someone or something. The loss may involve a loved one, a job, or possibly a role (student entering the ...
GRIEF AND LOSS - University of Grief and Loss.pdf What is grief Grief is a feeling of deep sadness that can last for many months after the loss of someone or something you love. Grief is part of life but it can be ...
Young People and Grief Fact Sheet...Young People and Grief ... It is important to remember that grief is a normal and natural response and that there is no right or ... (such as sadness, ...
Women, Grief and Loss: Fact Sheet - fgwrc.ca ? Women, Grief and Loss: Fact Sheet What is Grief? Grief occurs in response to the loss of someone or something. The loss may involve a loved one, a job, retirement, a ...
What is grief? - HWS Homepage nbsp; What is grief? Grief occurs in response to the loss of someone or something. The loss may involve a loved one, a job, or possibly a role (student entering the ...
Coping with Grief and Loss - The Georgia Department of ... ? Coping with Grief and Loss . Support for Grieving and Bereavement . . Losing someone or something you love is
The Spiral of Grief, Part 1: Understanding the Grief Spiral of Grief Part 1: Understanding the Grief Process RESOURCES FOR THE JOURNEY OF GRIEF Understanding the Grief Process When someone we love very much dies, our reaction to that deathour griefevery part ...
Understanding Bereavement, Grief and Loss with grief... Understanding Bereavement, Grief and Loss Bereavement is a normal response to the powerful stress of loss. The loss of others through death is a universal experience ...
Understanding Separation, Loss and the Grief ? Understanding Separation, Loss and the Grief Response
PUBLIC RESPONSE TO GRIEF: POST MANCHESTER ... - ? Web viewPublic response to tragedy is it grief or is it something else? ... Loss of Bodies The focus of public grief was on the burial place.
By Andy Olejack Grief. What is Grief? Grief is intense emotional suffering caused by a loss, disaster, or misfortune.