out of 12
Post on 28-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Texas is the second-largest state in the U.S.
- Area: almost 270.000square miles
- Population: 24.7 million residents
- The dipthong/a/ becomes monopthongized to /a:/: ride [ra:d], wide [wa:d]
- Southern drawl: breaking of the front vowels
- pat [p j], pet [pej], pit [pj]
- /z/ becomes /d/ before /n/
- wasnt [w dnt], business [ bdns]
- exception: hasnt [ hznt]
- Drop /g/ in ing
- taking / tek/, walking /w:k/
- Use of past participle in place of past simple.
- I onlydonewhat you done told me
- Iseenher first
- use of was in place of were.
- youwassittin on that chair
- Use of double modals.
- hemight couldclimb the top
- iused to coulddo that
- Use ofeverinstead ofevery.
- everwheresis the same place these days.
- Use of(a-) fixin toorfixin towith the meaningabout to.
- the planesfixin toland.
- Howdy : a general greeting. A shortened form of how do you do?
- Dijeetyet : did you eat yet?
- Ol boy : a good friend
- Looker : an atractive woman
- Yall : you all
- Over Yonder:analogous to over there
- Coke:Any flavor of soda.
- Conversion of one-syllable words into two-syllable words.
- Conversion of ing into ang
- Amarillo, Texas. Ah, North Texas, up in the panhandle. Twenty-two. In Huntsville, Texas. I am going to Sam Houston State University. Ill be starting my junior year in the fall. Yeah, I have a younger sister thats nineteen, and a brother thats twelve and a brother thats six. And my parents are divorced, so I have lived with my mom and my dad, my step-dad since I was five. So Im not very close to my real dad. Well my mom is white and my dad was Hispanic and since I didnt really get to know him, I probably am the most whitest Mexican youve ever met in your life. No. No, I dont even like Mexican food.
View more >