t8 b14 domestic cases workfile- lufthansa tab- handwritten tab- info table- press reports- 1st pgs...

Upload: 911-document-archive

Post on 30-May-2018

Category:

Documents

0 download

TRANSCRIPT

• 8/14/2019 T8 B14 Domestic Cases Workfile- Lufthansa Tab- Handwritten Tab- Info Table- Press Reports- 1st Pgs for Referenc

1/13

AgoA

o

C

- o

• 8/14/2019 T8 B14 Domestic Cases Workfile- Lufthansa Tab- Handwritten Tab- Info Table- Press Reports- 1st Pgs for Referenc

2/13

3/13

Browse Display Page 1 of 2

Copyright 1996 Denver Publishing CompanyRocky Mountain News (Denver, CO)March 15, 1996, Friday

SECTION: NEWS/NATIONAL/INTERNATIONAL; Ed. F; Pg. 39ALENGTH: 392 wordsHEADLINE: WORLD NEWS BRIEFINGBYLINE: Rock y Mountain New s wire servicesBODY:Farrakhan sees no need to registerWASHINGTON - Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan said Thursday he is not an agent ofLibya or any other foreign government and sees no need to register as such w ith theAmerican government."I am an agent of God," Farrakhan said at a news conference, "and if the governmentrequests that I should register as an agent of God, I wil l behappy to do so."Farrakhan made the comments after Justice Department officials said government agentshad hand-del ivered two letters to him about his recent trip to Libya and were watching tosee i f he acts as a Libyan agen t. Ethiopian guilty of hijackingNEW YORK - A federal jury has found an Ethiopian man guilty of hijacking a Lufthansaplane from Germany to New York in 1993.The jury in Brooklyn's U.S. District Court deliberated just 20 minutes before delivering itsverdict late Wednesday.Nebiu Demeke, 23, faces a manda tory 20-years-to-life in prison at his sentencing May 24.Turkey reaching out to Greece?ANKARA, Turkey - Turkey's new premier has reportedly offered an olive branch to Greece.In a move to improve relat ions with Greece, Mesut Yi lmaz said Turkey could withdraw itstroops from some disputed islands in the eastern Aegean, the Turkish daily Mill iyet reportedThursday. Greece has suggested Athens would withdraw its troops from islands near theTurkish coast if Turkey acted similarly. Whites-only teaching al lowedJOHANNESBURG, South Africa - A South African school fighting to keep apartheid educationalive has been granted a temporary court order to continue separate teaching of whitepupils, the school 's governing body said Thursday.The cha irman of the body, K oos Nel, said a magistrate ruled W edne sday that w hite pupilscould temporarily be taught in a hostel of the former whites-only primary school. Researchl inks gene, depressionLONDON - A team of Scottish researchers said today they had found the first firm evidenceto confirm long-held suspicions that there is a genetic link to depression.Scientists at the University of Edinburgh found that a variation of the gene known as SERT

http://www.nexis.com/research/search/documentDisplay?_docnum=56&_a nsset=:W-WA-... 11/10/2003

4/13

Copyright 1996 U.P.I.

United Press InternationalMarch 11, 1996, Monday, BCcycle

SECTION: Domestic NewsLENGTH: 496 wordsHEADLINE: Accused hijacker tells jury to acquitBYLINE: BYTRACEY LMILLERDATELINE: NEW Y O RK , March 11BODY:The Ethiopian man accused of hijacking a Lufthansa jet in 1993 and forcing the pilot to flyfrom Germany to New York with a planeload of terrified passengers told a federal juryMonday that his actions were justified and he should be acquitted of the crime. Serving ashis own attorney, Nebiu Demeke, 23, told the Brooklyn federal court panel he was forced tocommandeer the plane when he was repeatedly denied a visa to legally enter the UnitedStates. "I'm the first victim," he told jurors during opening statements. "I was deprived ofcoming to the U.S. to engage in business... I am the victim of an enormous fraud. "It wasan act of desperateness, I was forced to hijack the plane," Demeke added. "I didn't wantto." Assistant U.S. Attorney Gordon Mehler told the jurors that Demeke, hidden behind ablack ski mask, terrorized the plane's inhabitants for 11 hours, pressing a gun against thepilots' temple, screaming out demands and threatening to kill passengers one by one if thedemands were not met. "The pilot begged him to release the passengers and crew" duringan emergency refueling stop in Hanover, Germany, Mehler said. "You'll learn that thedefendant adamantly refused and that the pilots, passengers and crew all remainedhostages to this defendant." Demeke was finally arrested after Flight 592 landed at NewYork 's Kennedy Airport on Feb. 11, 1993, 11 hours after the hijacker emerged from theplane bathroom, wearing a ski mask and brandishing a small black pistol. It was laterrevealed that the gun wasa starter's pistol which could only fire blanks. "I saw a mask, Isaw the head andthen I saw that he had a pistol in his right hand and in the next instant hewas screaming," said the plane's co-pilot Kay Juergens, the prosecution's first witness. "Myfirst feeling was, 'It can't be true.' This was the time of Mardi Gras in Germany and I thoughtit was a joke, a bad joke. "Then he was waving his arm (with the gun) from the head of thecaptain to my head and he said, Turn right immediately, fly to NewYork or I'll shoot you.'That's when I realized a hijacking wasgoing on." Prosecutors say the ordeal ended in NewYork , when Demeke agreed to surrender his gun to the plane's captain in exchange for thecaptain's sunglasses.The 94 passengers and 10 crew members were then released andDemeke was taken into custody and charged with air piracy. Demeke, who was born inEthiopia but lived in Morocco most of his life, was living in Frankfurt at the time of thehijacking. He had applied for political asylum and then withdrew the petition and was on hisway back to Ethiopia on the Lufthansa flight. He allegedly smuggled the starter's pistol ontothe plane by hiding it under his hat, concealing it from airport security officers who scannedhim from the shoulders down. The incident marked the first trans-Atlantic hijacking in 16years.LOAD-DATE: March 12, 1996

http://www.nexis.com/research/search/documentDisplay?_docnum=20&_ansset=W-WA-... 11/10/2003

5/13

Copyright 1996 Age nce France PresseAgence France PresseM a r c h 11, 1996 11:23 GMT

SECTION: Domestic, non-Washington, general news i temLENGTH: 494 wordsHEADLINE: Hijacker of Lufthansa flight goes on trialDATELINE: NE W YORK, March 11BODY:An Ethiopian national went on trial here Monday on charges he sneaked a starter's pistolthrough airport security in Germany and used it to comandeer a Lufthansa Airlines flightto New York in 1993.Nebiu Demeke, 23, is charged with air piracy in the February 11, 1993 hijacking of the jet,which carried 94 pas sange rs and 10 crew members.The plane was en route from Frankfurt to C airo whe n Dem eke al legedly donned a black skimask and put a pistol to the pilot's head to force the plane to New York.Although the starter's pistol fires blanks, Demeke allegedly held it to the pilot's head for atleast 10 hours before he surrendered quietly to hostage negotiators at K ennedy Airport inNew York .Assistant US Attorney Gordon M ehler told the jury Monda y that Demeke sl ipped past airportsecu rity by placing the pistol inside his hat.When Deme ke passed through a securi ty checkpoint where airport personnel used hand-heldscanners to check pas sang ers from the shou lders down, M ehler said he took the hat off withthe pistol inside.The Frankfurt airport security ha s come under crit icism as it was also the entry point for thebomb that exploded aboard Pan Am flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland, which kil led 270people.Demeke, who lived in Germany for a few months before the hijacking, is defending himselfin the case.He told the jury Mon day that we was forced to hi jack the plane after the United Statesdenied him a visa."I did not wnt to hijack a plane. I was forced to hijack a plane," Demeke said.A sl ight young man wearing mismatched sports jacket, pants and running s hoes, Demeketold the jury he had a right to com e to the United States and claimed he was protectedunder the US Cons ti tut ion.Demeke told the jury he was "pursuing business interests" but declined to explain wha tthese interests were, only saying "I decided to come to the United States because I wantedto do business here."

http://www.nexis.com/research/search/documentDisplay?_docnum=21&_ansset=W-WA-... 11/10/2003

6/13

s I i C o p y r i g h t 1993 N e w s d a y , Inc.

Newsday (New York)View Related Topics

February 12, 1993, Friday, CITY EDITIONSECTION: NEWS; THE LUFTHANSA HIJACKING; Pg. 41LENGTH: 735 wordsHEADLINE: How Crisis Unfolded;Emergency teams race into actionBYLINE: By Stuart Vincent and Glenn Kessler. STAFF WRITERSBODY:

Here are moments in the hijacking of Lufthansa Flight 592, bound from Frankfurt to Cairo.7:40 a.m. The New York Police Department, Federal Aviation Administration, Port Authorityand State Department officials get first notice of the hijacking of a Lufthansa Airbus 310. Theplane, scheduled to travel from Frankfurt to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, with a stop in Cairo ishijacked over Austria.It is the first hijacking of a Lufthansa plane since 1985. The last trans-Atlantic hijackingof an airplane occurred in September, 1976, when five Croatian nationalists hijacked a TWAplane flying from New York to Chicago and forced it to land in Paris, where they surrendered.

8 a.m. Lufthansa Flight 592 stops in Hanover, Germany, to refuel before beginning an eight-hour trans-Atlantic flight to New York with 104 people, including the crew. German officialsallow the plane to take off from Hanover after the gunman threatens to kill his hostagesunless the plane flies to New York. He makes no other demands. The suspect keeps a gun inhis hand during the entire flight, but he tells the pilot he will surrender to authorities in NewYork. Among the 94 passengers are seven Americans, one Canadian, Japanese, Egyptiansand Germans.9 a.m. John Mirandona, acting area port director for the Immigration and NaturalizationService at Kennedy Airport, gets a call from the Port Authority police that "there was anincident" in Frankfurt. That put him on alert. But it was the confirmation a few minutes laterthat the plane was refueling and on its way to New York that "perked everyone up."10 a.m. First all-agency conference on the hijacking begins with about three dozen plannersfrom the FBI, New York Police Department, the Port Authority and the State Department.11:15 a.m. By the time the conference ends, plans are in place. FBI and New York Citypolice teams, including sharpshooters, are deployed. FBI agents also are set up to receiveand question freed passengers. At least three foreign embassies that believe their nationalsare aboard the plane send staffers to the airport to conduct interviews.

http://ww w.nexis .com/research/searcri/documentDisplay?_docnum=6&_ansset=W-WA-... 11/10/2003

7/13

v | j Copyright 1993 Cable News Network, Inc.'i All rights reservedCNN

View Related TopicsNEWS

February 11, 1993Transcript # 2 9 1 - 2

TYPE: Live ReportSECTION: News; DomesticLENGTH: 381 wordsHEADLINE: Hijacked Airplane Will Arrive at JFKAirportBYLINE: RICHARD ROTHHIGHLIGHT:JFK Airport is preparing to accept a hijacked Lufthansa airplane with a number of people onboard. The plane will be taken to a remote area of the airport for reasons of safety.BODY:

BOBBIE BATTISTA, Anchor: A small army of police and FBI agents is standing by at NewYork's Kennedy Airport, waiting for the arrival of a hijacked Lufthansa airliner. It all startedthis morning during a flight from Frankfurt to Cairo. Authorities say a man with a gunhijacked the plane as it was flying over Austria. It turned back and landed in Hanover,Germany. German officials say they let the jetliner take off after re-fueling because thehijacker threatened to kill hostages unless it flew to New York. The plane is now about twohours away from KennedyAirport. Earlier reports said German authorities had identified thehijacker as a Bosnian who wanted to talk to the United Nations about the war in his country.The Germans now insist they do not know who he is. CNN's Richard Roth is standing by atKennedy Airport and he joins us now with the latest from there. Richard?RICHARD ROTH, Correspondent: Bobbie, the FBI and New York police don't know what toexpect exactly when this Lufthansa air bus arrives here but they say they're planning foranything. The FBI will be the lead agency here on the ground at JFK. Reports have said thatthe hijacker does not want any violence, all he wants to do is talk with someone from theU.N. but of course, those are just reports. Preparations are underway here at John F.Kennedy Airport. FBI tactical units, hostage negotiators, lots of movement on the perimeterof JFK. Regular flight operations, though, are continuing. The plane is headed for airspaceover Gander, Newfoundland, over Montreal, Albany, New York, and then will come on intoJF K . A spokesman for the New York Port Authority describes what will happen here when theplane arrives.

v JOHN KAMPFE, Port Authority Spokesman: We're expecting a Lufthansa A-310 aircraft withapparently 94 passengers, 10 crew, to arrive here sometime mid-afternoon. There'sapparently a lone gunman on board, that's the best information we have at this point, andonce it lands here it will be directed to a remote, secure area of the airport and that is where

http://www.nexis.com/research/search/documentDisplay?_docnum=37&_ansset=W-WA-... 11/10/2003

8/13

Browse Display Page 1 of 3

Copyright 1993 The Times Mirror Company; Los Angeles TimesAll Rights ReservedLos Angeles Times

February 12, 1993, Friday, Home EditionSECTION: Part A; Page 1; Column 2; Foreign DeskLENGTH: 1124 wordsHEADLINE: 11-HOUR HIJACK ENDS WITHOUT INJURY IN N.Y.BYLINE: By TAMARA JONES and JOHN J. GOLDMAN, TIMES STAFF WRITERSDATELINE: NEW YORKBODY:A pistol-wielding, masked Ethiopian hijacked a Lufthansa Airbus with 104 people aboardThursday, threatening the pilot, crew and passengers during an 11-hour drama that endedpeacefully at John F. Kennedy International Airport.No one was injured in the incident, the first transatlantic hijacking in more than 16 years.Officials said late in a confusing day that the hijacker, identified as Nebiu Demeke, 20, hadpersonal reasons for wanting to come to the United States.They did not specify the reasons, although there was wildly varying speculation throughoutthe day about his identity and motives.At one point, officials said he was a disgruntled Bosnian demanding an audience at theUnited Nations. He then was said to be an American or an Arab youth wanting to protest theBalkan conflict.Late Thursday, he was reportedly an Arab with a Norwegian passport and an unclear motive.Moments after his capture, he was described as a docile, asylum-seeking Somali.Crew members and passengers said they found the hijacker to be extremely scary andunstable. There were strong fears he would fire his gun while the plane was in the air withdisastrous results.But at the flight's end, the hijacker made a curious exchange with the pilot, giving up hisgun for a pair of sunglasses. He also left his hat and a thank-you note behind in the cockpitof Flight 592 for the pilot, Capt. Gerhard Goebel.The hijacker was quickly surrounded by police and arrested after exiting the plane with hishands behind his head just 14 minutes after landing.Passengers and the crew said some of the most terrifying moments of the ordeal occurredwhen American authorities, with gear as if they were "ready for war," as one individual said,stormed the plane to secure it after the hijacker had been taken off.The incident, German authorities said, began in Frankfurt on Wednesday when the hijackerbought a ticket for Thursday morning's Lufthansa Flight 592 to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia'scapital, via Cairo.

http://www.nexis.com/research/search/documentDisplay?_docnum=36&_ansset=W-WA-... 11/10/2003

9/13

Copyright 1993 The Houston Chronicle Publishing CompanyThe Houston Chronicle

February 14, 1993, Sunday, 2 STAR EditionSECTION: A; Pg. 30LENGTH: 582 wordsHEADLINE: Germany vows to find lapse;Government considers extradition of suspect in hijackingBYLINE: Houston Chronicle news servicesDATELINE: FRANKFURT, GermanyBODY:FRANKFURT, Germany -- The government vowed to Friday touncover the security lapses at Frankfurt airport that allowed anEthiopian man to smuggle a pistol onto a Lufthansa jetliner onThursday and hijack the plane to New York.Prosecutors said they may ask the United States to extraditethe suspect, identified as Nebiu Zewolde Demeke, 20, so he couldstand trial in Germany.He was arraigned in New York Friday on a charge of airpiracy, which carries a life term of 20 years to life, and orderedheld without bail.Gerhard Goebel, the captain of the hijacked jet, declined tocriticize security measures at Frankfurt airport during a newscongerence Friday. But he said ""there's always room forimprovement. "Goebel said he tried to build up mutual trust with theagitated Demeke during the hours the hijacker spent in the plane'scockpit, sometime holding a gun to his head. He said Demeke toldhim he had planned the hijacking for several months.""I praised him. I said: "You did that just great.Youcertainly planned that well," the captain said.The jetliner returned to Frankfurt Friday with 50 of the 94passengers originally on board. The others remained in New York foran extra day.Thirty-five passengers continued on to Cairo theiroriginal destination -- where they were mobbed by family andfriends after the plane landed.Hassan Mustafa, a student in his 20s, said it was good to behome but he had one regret from the experience: ""I've never beento America before. It would have been nice to have stayed a littlelonger. "

http://www.nexis.com/research/search/documentDisplay?_docnum=17& _ansset=W-W A-... 11/10/2003

10/13

Display Page 1 of 4

Copyright 1993 Newsday, Inc.

February 12, 1993, Friday, H O M E EDITIONCorrection AppendedSECTION: N E W S ; Pg. 5Other Edition: All Pg. 5LENGTH: 1313 wordsHEADLINE: Hijacker Yields Easily;Surrenders a fake gun; no one hurtBYLINE: By Joseph Queen, Scott Ladd and (Michael Parent!) Michele Parente.STAFFWRITERSDATELINE: New YorkBODY:The hijacker hid a pistol in his hat that only fires blanks.An Ethiopian national who sneaked a starter's pistol through airport security in Germanysurrendered quietly to hostage negotiators at Kennedy Airport yesterday nearly 10 hoursafter commandeering a Lufthansa Airlines flight over Austria.None of the 94 other passengers, including seven Americans, or 10 crew members aboardFlight 592 were hurt. The hijacker, identified by CIA sources and city police as NebiuZewolde Demeke, 20, was taken into custody after surrendering the pistol to Lufthansa pilotGerhard Goebel.The FBI suspected early in the flight, after the pilot radioed a description of the pistol beingheld to his head, that it wasn't an actual gun, federal sources said yesterday.Still, James Fox, director of the FBI office in New York, credited federal and city authoritieswith averting a tragedy. "This is a hijacking that could have ended in disaster," he said at annews conference.According to sources, Demeke said during an interrogation last night that he placed the guninside the hat, but was told at a Frankfurt Airport checkpoint to remove the hat. Hecomplied, taking his hat off and putting it down - gun inside. He then walked through ametal detector, picked up his hat and boarded. Security officers, however, never lookedinside the hat, which was passed around the checkpoint, the sources said. The flight wasbound for Cairo and Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.The incident has refocused sharp criticism on security at the Frankfurt facility, mostnotorious in recent years as the entry point for the bomb that exploded on Pan Am Flight103 over Lockerbie, Scotland, in 1988, killing 270.Demeke, who had an Ethiopian passport and reportedly was a student living in Morocco,

http://www.nexis.com/research/search/documentDisplay?_docnum=5&_ansset=W-WA-... 11/10/2003

11/13

Copyright 1993 The Times Mirror Company; LosAngeles TimesAll Rights ReservedLo s Angeles Times

February 13, 1993, Saturday, Home EditionSECTION: Part A; Page 23; Column 1; National DeskLENGTH: 382 wordsHEADLINE: JET HIJACK SUSPECT USED INDIANA JONES HAT TRICKBYLINE: From ReutersDATELINE: N EW Y O R KBODY:The Ethiopian arrested for hijacking a Lufthansa jet was able to smuggle a gun aboard theplane by hiding it in a wide-brimmed Indiana Jones hat as he went through tight security atthe airport in Frankfurt, Germany, a prosecutor said Friday.Court papers said 20-year-old Nebiu Zewolde Demeke took his hat off and passed it aroundthe metal detector he went through at the airport, thus avoiding detection. Once on boardthe Airbus 310, he pulled the starter's gun loaded with blanks on the pilot and threatened tokill a flight attendant "every five minutes" if his demand to be taken to New York was notobeyed, the papers said.Demeke, whose threats triggered a 10-hour hostage ordeal for 104 people aboard the plane,made a brief appearance n court and was ordered held without bail pending another hearingFeb. 26 .Prosecutor Thomas Roche said the hat was a wide-brimmed fedora of the sort worn in theIndiana Jones film series. Roche said Demeke, the son of an Ethiopian economist and aMoroccan mother, hijacked the plane for "personal reasons," possibly to join a brother and asister living in the United States after being refused permission to enter legally.He said that the German government had made a provisional request for extradition. TheState Department said it would not second-guess Germany's decision to allow the aircraft todepart for New York despite a possible threat to the lives of passengers."Clearly, in this case, German authorities and the pilot judged that a takeoff was necessaryin order to protect the passengers and crew," spokesman Richard Boucher said.Under international civil aviation law, hijacked aircraft are allowed to take off only if this is"necessitated by the overriding duty to protect human life."Demeke surrendered politely and peacefully, even thanking the captain he had held atgunpoint. If convicted, he faces a sentence of 20 years to life in prison.He earned the dubious distinction of being the first person to hijack a plane across theAtlantic to New York, a feat that had many New Yorkers questioning his judgment. "Whywould someone hijack a plane to come here?" was one typical reaction.The captain and co-pilot told German television that Demeke spoke American slang and said

http://www.nexis.com/research/searcri/documentDisplay?_docnum=12&_ansset=W-WA-... 11/10/2003

12/13

] C o p y r i g h t 1993 New sd a y , Inc.

February 12, 1993, Friday, CITY EDITIONSECTION: N E WS ; THE LUFTHANSA HIJACKING; Pg. 7Other Edition: Nassau and Suffolk Pg. 4LENGTH: 692 wordsHEADLINE: Capt. Cool at the Controls;Passengers say pilot calm under the gunBYLINE: By Manuel PeVrez-Rivas, Nina Bernstein and Rob Polner. STAFF WRITERSBODY:The captain's voice was cool, in stark contrast to the terrifying thing he had to say: "Ladiesand gentlemen, there is a young gentleman who does not want to go to Cairo and he has agun pointed to my head."That in-flight announcement signaled the start of the hijack of Lufthansa 592, which 20-yearveteran Capt. Gerhard Goebel described last night as the strangest flight he has everpiloted.As he made that announcement to the 94 passengers, 40 minutes into the scheduled 7 1/2-hour flight from Frankfurt to Egypt and Ethiopia, a nervous young man pointed a pistol atGoebel 's head.He threatened to pull the trigger, Goebel said. He "wanted to go to NewYork and I had ahard time convincing him that we couldn't make it on the fuel we had," Goebel told reportersafter the safe finale to the hijacking. During his brief news conference at Kennedy Airportlast night, the reddish-haired, 52-year-old Goebel smiled and joked and appeared unruffledby his first hijacking."H e wasextremely nervous, very high strung, and I considered him to be extremelydangerous at that point, especially when he has a gun to your head," Goebel said.For more than 11 hours and 3,800 miles, Goebel maintained his calm as the hijackeralternately watched and paced nervously in and out of the cockpit. That poise took some ofthe fire out of a volatile situation, according to authorities and passengers."H e was super cool," said the passenger, Basil Sands, 62, of Australia."Special credit goes to the captain," said James Fox, head of the FBI's New York City office.He said Goebel remained "cool and in control" during the trip across the Atlantic Ocean rightup until the final moments when Nebiu Zemolde Demeke relinquished his weapon at therequest of authorities in the JFKcontrol tower.The captain told him, "You get my sunglasses if you hand the gun over," and the swap wasexecuted as simply as that, Goebel said.

http ://www.nexis.com/research/search/documentDisplay?_docnum=10&_ansset=W-WA -... 11/10/2003

13/13

Lufthansa Flight 592, Frankfurt to Cairo, hijacked to New YorkMay Testimony : No dom estic hijacking in last decadeLufthansa: First hijacking since 1985First trans-Atlantic hijacking since September 1976Multi-agency conference 2 hours and 20 minutes after FAA first notified; FBI lead, on the groundOtis AFB Air Defense fighters are scrambled, take hand off from Canadian jets and escort plane to JFK

DateGoalTypeHijackersNationalityWeaponMethodInitial ReactionAir DefenseLead PilotBattle CabWeaponsID/MCC

American 11September 11, 2001Unknown

Starter PistolPilot HostageLE IssueOtis AFBDuffyMarr (BC)Fo x (WD)McCain (IT)

Domestic

Saudi, EgyptianKnives, SprayCrew NeutralizedPresumed LE IssueOtis AF BDuffyMarr (FO)Fox (SD)McCain (MCC/T)