t5 b72 state appropriations fdr- entire contents- crs reports- dos info- 1st pgs for ref

Upload: 911-document-archive

Post on 30-May-2018

Category:

Documents

0 download

TRANSCRIPT

• 8/14/2019 T5 B72 State Appropriations Fdr- Entire Contents- CRS Reports- DOS Info- 1st Pgs for Ref

1/18

Federal Budget - Congressional Research Service Documents Page 1 of57

Penny HillPress

HomeSubscribersAbout CRS ReportsSubscribeContact Us

Congressional Research ServiceDocuments on Federal BudiTHE 0.22 PERCEN T ACROSS-THE-BOARD CUT INFY2001 APPROPR IATIONS. 6 pages. Updated May 31,2001. Order No.: RS20758.THE 0.38 PERCE NT ACROSS-THE-BOARD CUT INFY2000 APPROPRIATIONS. 11 pages. February 25,2000. Order No.: RL30443.1997 RECONCILIATION BILL BUDGET TOTALS. 6pages. October 31, 1997. Order No.: 97-983 E.ACROSS-THE-BOARD SPENDING CUTS INOMNIBUS APPROPRIATIONS ACTS. 31 pages.Updated December 5, 2003. Order No.: RL32153.ADMINISTRATION APPROPRIATIONS REQUEST:JUSTICE. 1 pages. September 10, 2003. Order No.:BCJS-1002.THE ADMINISTRATION'S FY2000 BUDGETREQUEST FOR THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OFAGRICULTURE. 6 pages. February 4, 1999. Order No.:RS20046.THE ADMINISTRATION'S FY1997 RESEARCHAND DEVELOPMENT BUDGET. 2 pages. March 27,1996. Order No.: 96-284 SPR.ADVANCE APPROPRIATIONS, FORWARDFUNDING, AND ADVANCE FUNDING. 2 pages.Updated February 12, 2001. Order No.: RS20441.AGENC Y JUSTIFICATION OF THE PRESIDENT'SBUDGET. 2 pages. Updated August 29, 2003. Order No.:RS20268.AGRICULTURE AND THE BUDGET:COMMODITY CREDIT CORPORATION (CCC)

• 8/14/2019 T5 B72 State Appropriations Fdr- Entire Contents- CRS Reports- DOS Info- 1st Pgs for Ref

2/18

Federal Budget - Congressional Research Service Documents Page 1 o f 5 7

Penny HillPress

HomeSubscribersAbout CRS ReportsSubscribeContact Us

Congressional Research ServiceDo cum ents on j?edejral BudgetTHE 0.22 PERCENT ACROSS-THE-BOARD CUT INFY2001 APPROPRIATIONS. 6 pages. Updated May 31,2001. Order No.: RS20758.THE 0.38 PERCENT AC ROSS-THE-BOARD CUT INFY2000 APPROPR IATIONS. 11 pages. February 25 ,2000. Order No.: RL30443.1997 RECONCILIATION BILL BUDGET TOTALS. 6pages. October 31, 1997. Order No.: 97-983 E.ACROSS-THE-BOARD SPENDING CUTS INOMNIBUS APPROPRIATIONS ACTS. 31 pages.Updated December 5, 2003. Order No.: RL32153.ADMINISTRATION APPROPRIATIONS REQUEST:JUSTICE. 1pages. September 10, 2003. Order No.:BCJS-1002.THE ADMINISTRATION'S FY2000 BUDGETREQUEST FOR THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OFAGRICULTURE. 6 pages. Feb ruary 4, 1999. Order No.:RS20046.THE ADMINISTRATION'S FY1997 RESEARCHAND DEVELOPMENT BUDGET. 2 pages. March 27,1996. Order No.: 96-284 SPR.ADVANCE APPROPRIATIONS, FORWAR DFUNDING, AND ADVANCE FUNDING. 2 pages.Updated February 12, 2001. Order No.: RS20441.AGENCY JUSTIFICATION OF THE PRESIDENT'SBUDGET. 2 pages. Updated Au gust 29 , 2003. Order No.:RS20268.AGRICULTURE AND THE BUDGET:COMMODITY CREDIT CORPORATION (CCC)

3/18

^Appendix 4: Clinton Appointments, Principal Officers of the Department of State Page 1 of 5

Home I Cofitactus I Email this Page I FOIA I iftwacy Notice I ftrctw/e| -'Search

About theU . S . D E P A R T M E N T o f S T A T EPress and Travel and CountriesInternational History, EducationPubic Affairs! :lLivingAbcc-acM (land RegioosB IIssues landCulture

[P.rJDLEDQdly_Vers!on]

History of the Department of State During the Clinton Presidency (1993-2001)Released by the Office of the Historian, Bureau of Public Affairs

Appendix 4: Clinton Appointments, Principal Officers of the Department of State

Secretary of StateTitleSecretary of State

AppointeeWarren ChristopherMadeleine K. Albr ight

StatusNon-CareerNon-Career

Appointment DateJanuary 20, 1993January 23 , 1997

Deputy Secretary of StateTitleDeputy Secretary

AppointeeClifton R. Wharton, Jr .St robe Talbott

StatusNon-CareerNon-Career

Appointment DateJanuary 27 , 1993February 22 , 1994

UndersecretariesTitleUnder Se cretary (Poli ticalAffairs)

Under Secretary(Economic and

AppointeePeter TarnoffT h o m a s R. PickeringJoan E. Spero

StatusNon-CareerCareerNon-Career

Appointment DateMarch 11, 1993May 27, 1997April 1,1 99 3

4/18

01. Th e Department of State Leadership Page 1 of 8

H o m e I Cofitactus I Bra!trtsPage I FO I A l lmvacyNobce I Arcrtwel Search

U.S. DEPARTMENT of STATEA b o u t t h eS t a t e D e p t .

[Print Friendly Version]

CountriesillntemationaM IlHistory. Educationand Regions! tissues landCultueHistory of th e Department of State During th e Clinton Presidency (1993-2001)Released by the Office of the Historian, Bureau of Public Affairs

01. The Department of State LeadershipS e c r e t a r y o f StateWarren ChristopherWarren Christopher was sworn in as the nation's 63d Secretary of State on January 20, 1993. Christophercame to the Department of State wi th a deep background in government and foreign affai rs. In the Kennedyadministration, he had been Under Secretary o f State George Ball's special envoy to sensitive textile trade talksin Toky o; in the Johnson adm inistration, he was Deputy Attorney General; and he served as D eputy Secretaryof State during the Carter years. He also had a broad range of civ ic ac tiv it ies in Los Angeles, where he hadpracticed law for over 40 years . In 1965, he served as v ice cha i rm an o f the McCone C om miss ion, whichinvestigated the events surrounding the Watts r iots; and in 1992, he chaired the Chris topher Commiss ion,which investigated the Los Angeles Police Department in the wak e of the Rodney King incident.Christopher also had a strong relationship wi th President C linton. During the 1992 campaign, he served as oneof Governor Clinton's foreign policy advisers. He also headed th e Vice Presidential search p roces s, leading toth e selection of A l Gore as the Vice Presidential nom inee (he returned to do the sa m e for Vice President Go reduring the 2000 presidential cam paign, which led to the selection of Senator Jo seph Lieberman). Christopheralso led President-elect Clinton's 1992 transi t ion team from Little Rock, Arkansas, during w hich he was askedto return to Foggy Bot tom as Secretary o f Sta te.Secretary Ch ristopher cam e to the State Departm ent wi thout an overarching, single-wo rd doctr ine for Am ericanforeign policy. He believed that in the po st-C old War era, challenges we re too diverse to b e sum m arized in aneatly ta i lored doctr ine l ike "containm ent." Instead, he cam e into off ice guided by four broa d principles, whichhe outl ined during his confi rmation hearings before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee in January 1993.(Document 1 - 1 ) Eac h principle a ddressed th e fundamenta l cha l lenges o f post-Co ld W ar international relations:the globalization of commerce and capi tal; the r ise of new securi ty threats l ike terrorism and weaponsprol i feration; global cha llenges l ike the env ironment, disease, a nd drug traff ick ing; protecting nas centdemocrac ies; and the problem o f conflict-particularly intra-state conflict-fueled b y ethnic a nd religioustensions.

5/18

of State O rganization Chart Page 1 o f 2

Home I ContactUs I Em ailtePage I F01A I PnvaeyNotira I wctwel Search

U . S . D E P A R T M E N T o f S T A T EAbout theState Dei*. Press a n d BTrayel an d|Countriesi|lntemationaM||llistory, EducationPublic Aftairs IlLivingAbroad landRegions! IIssues land (Mure[Print Friendly Versionl

Department of State Organization Chart[To pr in t th is organizational char t , please use the pdf vers ion. ]

United StalesAgency torInlemationalDevelopmentRepresentative tothe United Nations

DeputySecretary of State

Under Secretary forEconomic, Business,and Agricultural AffairsUnder Secretary forPublic Diplomacyand Public Aflairs

UndersecretaryforemenlUndersecretaryforPolitical Affairs

Under SecretaryArms Control andlnl"l Securi

Educationalan dCultural AffairsEast Asian4 Pacific Economic andBusiness Affaire

European an dEurasianAffairsDtptonuticAForagMMon*

Non-proliferationNear EasternAflairsWesternHemisphereAffairs

InternationalInformationProaramsSoutti Asian

Affairs Fweign ServiceInstituteInternationalOrganization Verificationan dCompliance

InformationResourceManagement

6/18

17. Personnel an d Professional Development Page 1 of 5

HomejjContactUs I Brailthis rage i FO I A I iRivacyNotice I Afdwe| Search:

About theState Dei*.

U . S . D E P A R T M E N T o f S T A T EPress andPublic A ffairs Travel amiLiving Abroad Lourrtnesand Re g i o n s InternationalIssues History. Educationand Cu lture[Print rjendiy_Versjon]

History of the Department of State During the Clinton Presidency (1993-2001)Released by the Of f ice of the Histor ian, Bureau of P ub l ic A f fa i rs17. Personnel and Professional DevelopmentHuman ResourcesTtW State Department's workforce changed substantially in size and composition from 1993 to 200$ inresponse to jde jcceasedjedera l fund ing, thej jouentin^ government program, th e downsizing o f f ede ra lagencies, the emergence^oTgToBlTrssues, the reorganization of the Department, and the,dramatic politicalevents following the end of the Cold War. A table showing the Department 's employment leve ls is at the end ofthis sect ion.Recruitment and Personnel Reform

Discuss ions took place on a strategic approach to recrui tment that would provide the Department wi th ad iverse, h igh ca li ber work force ab le to adapt to the dem ands o f rapid ly evo lv ing Am erican in terests abroad .Under the De partment 's "Co-op in R esidence" program, the Bu reau o f P ersonnel h i red s tu dents a t New MexicoState Universi ty and Howard Universi ty to serve as part-t ime recrui ters.IfiFelJruary 19941 Und er Secretary for Managemen t R ichard Moose formed a Civ i l Serv ice A dv isory Groupcomprised o f D epartment e mployees f rom a l l grades to adv ise on profess iona l i ssues re levant to the Civ i lService. Other ini t iat ives undertaken by the new administrat ion included the establishment by Director GeneralGenta Hawkins Holmes of a Civ il Serv ice Career Developmen t De sign Te am . As the C iv il Serv ice becam emore active, a 1994 elect ion resulted in AFG E Local 1534 be ing chosen as the bargaining uni t fo r Civi l Serviceemp loyees at the S tate D epartment . The restruc tur ing o f the fore ign a f fa i rs agencies a lso created add i t iona l jobmobi l i ty for Civi l Service employees through greater opportuni t ies for excursion tours, and career opportuni t iesoverseas for spou ses a lso expanded .Respond ing to a P res ident ia l execut i ve order on federa l-labor managem ent re la tions, the D epartment and theAm erican Fore ign Serv ice Assoc ia t ion (AFS A) estab l i shed a Labor-Manageme nt P artnership Counci l in 1993.A s imi lar Partnership C ounci l was forme d at USIA with AFS A and the Civi l Serv ice Union AFGE. Thepartnership agreement at State resolved to "involve open sharing of information at the earl iest pre-decisionalstate, thereby engender ing m utua l t rus t and respect and allowing the greatest participation in problem-solving,to bet ter promote the Department 's ob ject i ves."

7/18

02. Management and Organizational Change Page 1 of 15

[Print Fnendly._Ver_sion]

History of the Departmen t of State During the Clinton Presidency (1993-2001)Released by the Office of the H istorian, Bureau of Public A ffairs02. Management and Organizational ChangeIntroductionDuring the Clinton administration, the Department ofmodernization of management policies and systems.]f ojmanee Review calmanagement reforms in a number of areas. In February

te underwent major organizational changes and theMeJ/yaj]njJtia5topherice President Gore's NationalL in responseSfTThe Secretary's initiative included major

3 , the Secretary announced a reorganization1 planfor the Department of State! A new Under Secretary for Globa l Affairs would oversee the Bureaus ofDemocracy, Human Rights, an d Labor; Na rcotics, T errorism, an d Crime; Populat ion, Refugees, an d Migration;and Oceans, Environment, and Science. A new Ambassador at Large would help manage policy towards theNewly Independent S tates of the former S oviet Union. T he t it les of two other Under S ecretaries werebroadened to "Arms Control and International Security" and "Economic, Business, and Agricultural Affairs."The se and other organizational changes we nt formally into effect in May 1994. In January 1995, SecretaryChristopher proposed a reorganization plan that would incorporate into the Department the U.S. InformationAgency (USIA), the Arm s Control and Disarmament Agency (ACD A), and the Agency for InternationalDevelopment. (AID).Secretary Christopher dealt with a number of issues involving modernization and reform oforganizational'marragernent in the face~oTever-declining budgetary resources1! In 1993, the Department began a majormodernization of information technology including ne w computerized information management systems, theconsolidation of worldwide administrative support functions. It streamlined financial management systems andsimplified reporting and analysis requirements from posts. The launching of Department's presence on theWorld Wide W eb had a major impact on every aspect of the Department and the Foreign S ervice, frommanagement to diplomatic communication to public affairs. The Secretary's Strategic Management Initiativeencouraged personnel reforms, including team building, empowerment, delayering, and the National ForeignAffairs Training Center (NFATC), a major new training facil ity in Arlington, Virginia. The Bureau of ConsularAffairs (CA) and the Bureau of Diplomatic S ecurity (DS introduced operational efficiencies (see chapters IX andIII, respectively).During Secretary Christopher's tenure, the Department reevaluated the U.S.overseas presence, and identified *20 or 25 posts that could be closed*T he Office of Foreign Buildings began the construction or rehabilitation of

8/18

03. Security Policies Page 1 of9

Home ICorrtaetUs I EmailmsPage I FO I A IBlvacyrtetce IArowe I Search

W U.S. D E P A R T M E N T o f S T A T EAbout the IIPress and :|Tsavel a nd[Countries 1nterrtaitional |History, EducationState Dept jPublic AffairsB lilivingAtroadB land RegionsBIssues land Culture[Print Friendly Version]

History of the Department of State During the Clinton Presidency (1993-2001)R e l e a s e d by the Office o f the His to r i an, Bureau o f Public Affa i rs03. Security PoliciesIntroduction"Secu r i ty" is an e lus ive wo rd that can have m u l t ifar iou s m ea nings . I t can have soc ia l dime ns ions s uch asadequ ate foo d, clo th ing, and she l te r . In the fo re ign po l icy are a, secur ity can a lso be conce ived in econom ic andpsycho log ical te rm s. In th i s chapte r , ho weve r , a m ajo r focu s i s the Depa r tme nt o f S tate 's in it ia t ives to enhanceth e nation's physical (including m i li tary) se cur ity f rom hos t i le invas ion o r a t tack. The se e f fo r ts a l so includedef for ts to m ake the inte rnat ional environm ent sa fe r - fo r exam ple , m ea sure s to com ba t inte rnat ional te r ro r i s tac t iv it y b o th a t ho m e and ab ro ad.More over , se cur i ty i s no t a s tat ic ent ity b u t depends o n a def in it ion which i tse l f can b e m odi fi ed in respo nse tochang ing c i rcum stances ove r time . Thus whi le an expa ns ive def in it ion o f nat ional se cur i ty might sat i s fyAm er ican's po l it ica l l eaders dur ing the he ight o f the C o ld War confronta t ion wi th the So vie t U nion and thewor ldwide com m unis t th reat , the e nd o f the C o ld War in the e ar ly 1990s requ i red Am er ican decis ion-m akers tor e a s s e s s t he e x te rna l dang e rs t o t he nation's secur i ty .He ightened concerns abou t the threat o f te r ro r i s t act iv i ty a lso pro mpte d the D e par tme nt o f S ta te t o i mp l e me ntunprecedented secu r ity m ea sure s to ensu re the phys ical safe ty o f its em ployees a nd proper ty in the Uni tedS ta te s and a t i ts p os t s ab roa d. Whi le s t r ic t ly spe ak ing no t a nat ional se cur ity prob lem , the i ssue was apers is tent rem inder dur ing th e C l inton adm inistrat ion that th e nat ion's secur ity b eg an a t h o m e .Political-Military MattersThe Dep ar tm ent o f S tate 's Bure au o f Po l it ica l -Mi li tary Af fa i rs (PM ) played a crit ical ro le in helping theadm inis t ra t i on m eet i ts fo re ign po l icy ob ject ives , th rough implem ent ing key par ts o f Am er ica 's nat ional secur i tys t r a t egy . P M's ach ievem ents included prom ot ing h um ani tar ian dem ining; o ve rs e e i ng a rms t r ans fe r s , r e g i o na lsecuri ty, and defense trade contro ls; cr i t ical infrastructure protect ion; and leading planning efforts in deal ingwi th cr ise s .Removing th e Threat of Landmines

9/18

09. The Consular Function Page 1 of 8

Home I Ccntactus I Emajl m is rage I FO IA liPrivaey Notice I Anftuelt Search

U . S . D E P A R T M E N T o f S T A T EAbout the Press and Travel and Countries !|lntemationaW||lfetory.EducationState Dept IPublic Affairs! [iLivingAbroadB landReqionsB IIssues Iand Cut! re

[P r in t Friendy Version)

History of the Department of State During the Clinton Presidency (1993-2001)Released b y t h e Office o f the His tor ian, Bureau o f Publ ic Af fa i rs09. The Consular Function

IntroductionWhen Amer ican c i t izens come in contact wi th the Department o f State , i t is most likely with a co nsu larem ploye e . Co nsular sect ions at U.S. em bassies and consu la tes prov ide a var ie ty o f essent ia l se rv ices thatensure the pro tect ion o f the in te rests o f the Uni ted States and i ts c i tizens on the m ost fundam enta l leve l . TheBureau o f C onsular Af fa i rs (CA ) ex is ts to ass is t Am er icans abroad, fac il ita te leg it im ate t rave l , and de te r thet rave l o f pe rsons l ike ly to rem ain i l legally in the Uni ted States o r to eng age in act iv i t ies harm fu l to our count ry .Con s u la r e m p lo ye e s issue m il lio ns o f passpo r t s e ach ye a r t o Am e r i can c it iz e ns , wh o m ak e ab o u t 60 m ill io nt r ips ab road annual ly and who se re la t ive s, f riends, and em ploye es ob ta ined m i ll ions o f U.S. v isas. Co nsularoff icers v is it c i tizens in the h ospi ta l o r pr ison o r ca l l to rep or t the death o f a loved o ne o ve rseas.Passports and Visas

demandmore than doubledduring the Clinton adffifctba$on--from 3.2 million in 1992 to 7.4 million in200 Visa ctemand alsowasstrong, rising from7 million mTWSto 9.5 million in 2000, fiespite the addition ofe igh t count r ies to the Visa Waive r P rogram , wh ich e nab led c i t izens o f part ic ipating count r ies to t rave l to theUni ted States fo r tourism o r bus iness fo r 90 d ays o r less without obtaining a U.S. visa in advance. Immigrat ionan d Natural izat ion Service stat ist ics indicated that up to 18 million foreign nationals e n te re d th e United Statese ach y e a r u n d e r t h e Visa Waiver P rograffn, accou nting fo r appro x ima te l y 5Spfcertlof a ll business an dp leasure t rave le rs . The prog ram a lso a l lowed co nsu lar o ff ic ia ls to conce nt ra te on count r ies wh ere f raud ando t h e r r isks were h igher. As wo rk loads in passpo r t agenc ies and consu lar sect ions o f em bassies and consu la tesg re w in the m id-1990s, staffing remainedstatic at best. Whn Pres ident C l in ton too k o f fice , consu lar fee to ta led abo ut $400 million annually, and all fe.es were depos i ted iEnhancing U.S. Border Secu rity and ServicesDuring the Cl in ton admin ist ra t ion, s ign if icant ch ange s in consu lar ope rat ions enhance d bo th U.S. bo rdersecurity and se rv i ce s to co nsu la r cus to m e rs . Th e first change took place ot\J .3&Jj8 |whenPres identCinton s igned the,0iMgA.8tfeljen8 AuthorizationAct. Fiscal Years 1994 and1995 (Public Law 103-236).S&ion 140of that A ct author ized th e Se c re ta ry o f State to charge and retain a fee f o r pro ce ss ing m ach ine -

ftPR.21.2004 2:57PM NO.954 P.2/27

10/18

X Order Code RL30662

CRS Report for CongressReceived through the CRS Web

Embassy Security:Background, Funding, and the Budget

Updated October 4, 2001

Susan B. EpsteinSpecialist in Foreign Policy and TradeForeign Affairs, Defense, and Trade Division

11/18

Order Code RL30926

State Department and Related AgenciesFY2002 Appropriations

Updated December 11, 2001

Susan B. EpsteinSpecialist in Foreign Policy and TradeForeign Affairs, Defense, and Trade Division

12/18

Department of State Actual ($000)Diplomatic and Consular ProgramsConsular AffairsDiplomatic SecurityIntelligence and ResearchWorldwide Security Upgrades

Diplomatic SecurityBorder Security Program

Consular AffairsDiplomatic SecurityIntelligence and Research

Diversity Lottery FeesConsular Affairs

FBI Fingerprint FeesConsular Affairs

Total ActualsConsular AffairsDiplomatic Security 1Worldwide Security Upgrades rIntelligence and ResearchTotal

FY19982,000,706

FY 19991,998,487

FY 20002,569,825

FY 20012,758,076

FY 20023,245,427

FY 2003 FY 2004

13/18

Department of State Request ($000)Diplomatic and Consular Programs

Consular AffairsDiplomatic SecurityIntelligence and ResearchWorldwide Security UpgradesDiplomatic SecurityBorder Security Program

(Diversity Lottery FeesConsular AffairsFBI Fingerprint Fees

Consular AffairsAffadavit of Support FeesConsular AffairsTotal RequestsConsular AffairsDiplomatic SecurityWorldwide Security UpgradesIntelligence and ResearchTotal

FY 19982,175,090

FY19992,177,400

FY 20002,583,772

FY 20012,691,325

FY 20023,217,405

FY 20033,466,023

, FY 2004I^3,516,843

498,359263,394646,70147,9721 456,426

14/18

Department of State Request ($000)Diplomatic and Consular Programs

Consular AffairsDiplomatic SecurityIntelligence andResearch

Worldwide Security UpgradesDiplomatic SecurityBorder Security Program

Diversity Lottery FeesConsular Affairs

FBI Fingerprint FeesConsular AffairsAffadavit of Support Fees

Consular AffairsiTotal Requests r"

Consular AffairsDiplomatic SecurityWorldwide Security UpgradesIntelligence and ResearchTotal

FY19982.175,090

FY19992.177,400

FY 20002.583,772

FY 20012.691,325

FY 20023,217,405

FY 20033,466,023

FY 20043,516,843

f

flPR.21.2004 3=02PM NO.954 P.16/27

15/18

Order Code RL31370

C R S R e p o r t fo r CongressR eceived through the C R S Web

State Department and Related Agencies:FY2004 Appropriations and FY2005 Request

Updated April 16, 2004

16/18

Order Code RL31370

CRS Report for CongressReceived through the C RS Web

State Department and Related Agencies:FY2003 Appropriations

April 12, 2002

17/18

Order Code RL30591

State Department and Related AgenciesFY2001 Appropriations

Updated February 13, 2001

18/18