t2 b5 fbi nfip info fdr- for chp 9 sec 3- emerging shape of war on terror 599

Upload: 911-document-archive

Post on 30-May-2018

Category:

Documents

0 download

TRANSCRIPT

• 8/14/2019 T2 B5 FBI NFIP Info Fdr- For Chp 9 Sec 3- Emerging Shape of War on Terror 599

1/4

A P R . 2 8 . 2 0 0 4 3 : 2 0 P M 9 - 1 1 C O M M I S S I O N N O . 2 5 4 1

LH. Hamaton

V^T CldaadFiedP.Kd&ifJunk S. GordiclcSlade GortonjohnLchmsa

FAX COV ER SHEET it.i B -

T o :

Date:Number of pages ef sheet):

• 8/14/2019 T2 B5 FBI NFIP Info Fdr- For Chp 9 Sec 3- Emerging Shape of War on Terror 599

2/4

T 0 0 4 3 : 2 0 P M 9 - 1 1 C O M M I S S I O N N O , 2 5 4 1

For Chapter 9, Section 3The Emerging Shape of a War on Terror

The Domestic Intelligence part of the EquationTh e FBI continues to play the lead role in the U.S. Government's domesticcounterterrorism strategy, and is in the process of implementing a number of reformsdesigned to strengthen its intelligence capabilities and thus its capacity to prevent terroristacts. Collection management is a key component of these efforts. The Bureau's Office ofIntelligence has taken steps to increase the Bureau's capacity in each area of theintelligence cycle.CollectionAs the nation's premier investigative agency, the Bureau has always collected a largeamount of intelligence, However, it has not done so in a directed manner. Since 9/11,the Bureau has worked to put in place a process to manage, capture andprioritize itsintelligence collection efforts, beginning with the identification of collectionrequirements. The FBI is centralizing its Counterterrorism Program, in part to ensurethat key intelligence information obtainedby field agents through their investigations ismaintained centrally, analyzed and disseminated appropriately. The FBI also isdedicating additional resources to translation an d surveillance.AnalysisThe Bureau's longstanding case-focused, law enforcement approach to counterterrorismhas not recognized the value of intelligence analysis generally, and strategic analysisspecifically. The Office of Intelligence is seeking to professionalize and promote theanalysis function through the creation of a Counterterrorism Analysis Branch, a moreformalized training program, and a greater emphasis on the production of strategicanalysis, The demand for tactical analysis and executive-level briefings, however, hasmade it difficult for senior managers to focus their resources sufficiently on strategicanalysis, The FB I is engaged in a massive effort to hire additional headquarters and fieldanalysts, but it is not clear that the qualifications, status and role of most analysts in thefield have changed in practice.DisseminationThe FBI has long been accused of failing to share intelligence derived from itsinvestigations with those whoneed to act on it - state andlocal lawenforcement,intelligence community officials, policymakers, and the public. It also has not effectivelymanaged and shared its information internally. The FBI has taken several steps toaddress this shortcoming, including creating a reports officer function, increasing thenumber of Joint Terrorism Task Forces at FBI field offices, creating a National JointTerrorism Task Force at FBI headquarters, and dedicating significant resources to

3/4

2 0 0 4 3 : 2 0 P M 9 - 1 1 C O M M I S S I O N N O , 2 5 4 1 P . 3

upgrading its information systems, The passage of me USA PATRIOT Act also hashelped in this area as it provides for the sharing of information obtained under theForeign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) and during grand jury proceedings.Management Cha l l engesFBI leadership is confronting several management challenges in its attempts to transformthe reactive, law enforcement culture of the organization and fully integrate intelligenceinto operations.

Leadership: The FBI's decentralized management structure prior to September11, 2001, under which field offices set their own priorities, has madecentralization of its Counterterrorism Program difficult. Our investigationrevealed some resistance in the field to this approach an d found a gap between theannounced reforms at FBI headquarters and the reality in the field.

1 Resources; Director Mueller has shirtedjignificant resources from otheroperational areas such as drug enforcement to counterterrorism and the FBI hasreceived large increases in funding since 2001. The Bureau continues to doadditional hiring, though it still lacks an adequate number of translators, analysts,and surveillance personnel.

Information sharing: The FBI is making progress in upgrading its informationsystems but the project is behind schedule and improvements have been slow.FB I personnel - agents andanalysts - still do nothave easy access to the FBI andother intelligence information they require to do their jobs. Information sharingboth internally and externally still relies to a great extent on personalrelationships.

Expertise of personnel: It will take time to build the requisite expertise amongagents, analysts and others working counterterrorism cases. The Bureau hasannounced a new career path for special agents in which they will specialize in aparticular investigative area after spending three years familiarizing themselveswith all areas.

Balance of security and liberty: Post-9/11 legal and policy changes have providedagents with additional investigative tools and greater flexibility in employinginvestigative methods. The resulting debate regarding the appropriate balance ofcivil liberties, privacy and security will be addressed in depth in Chapter XIV.

K ey Domes t ic Intell igence Questions What policies andprotocols are necessary to bridge the foreign-domestic dividethat exists in the intelligence arena?

4/4

. d . 2 0 0 4 3 : 2 0 P M 9 - 1 1 C O M M I S S I O N N O . 2 5 4 1 P . 4

What improvements in intelligence capabilities and organizational structures arenecessary to protect against terrorist attacks?Where should the balance be struck between privacy, security and liberty?What are the appropriate oversight mechanisms for the continuing war on terror?