Strata RX 2013 | Designing for Dignity in Health Tech
out of 65
Post on 23-Aug-2014
DESCRIPTIONIn this Strata RX presentation, Jen van der Meer of Luminary Labs challenges health tech startups to design for a higher aim, offering 8 design principals to enhance the lives of the patients they serve.
- LUMINARY LABS @JENVANDERMEER @LUMINARYLABS DESIGNING FOR DIGNITY IN HEALTH TECH Jen van der Meer STRATA RX - SEPTEMBER 2013
- 2 Jen van der Meer @JENVANDERMEER
- 3 Jen van der Meer @JENVANDERMEER
- DOES THE TRIPLE AIM SEEM UNATTAINABLE Improve population health Improve the patient experience @JENVANDERMEER Reduce the per capita cost of health care
- Leslie Patricelli
- Meaningful use. Accountable care. Can we set the bar higher? The names of the following incumbent EMR/EHR providers and the names of patents and doctors are redacted to protect privacy and mediocrity.
- THE COST OF TECHNOLOGY Thomas Murphy, MD 2001
- So here come the startups. The internet kids. To the rescue. Full disclosure: I am one of those kids. @JENVANDERMEER
- To change the world. And we actually think this way as if we could hold the world in our hands. More ego-maniacal than surgeons, we are. We come, inspired. And improve human lives.
- But we are not without fault. @JENVANDERMEER
- We tend to design for the motivated, and the healthy.
- We get too excited about startup traction, not excited enough about evidence-based outcome Paul Grahams Startup Curve
- We have a huge learning curve to figure out how to disrupt the cost curve Data: OECD Health Data 2005 and 2006. Commounwealth Fund National Scorecard on US Health Performance 2006.
- Cost + Compliance Incumbents vs. New Entrants Lifestyle
- LETS SET A HIGHER BAR @JENVANDERMEER
- @JENVANDERMEER For each solution born onto the health tech scene, we ask: Are patients lives enhanced by the addition of data? Do doctors become more wise? Do nurses feel more empowered? Do spouses know how to effectively intervene? Do adult children of aging parents get more time in their overly stretched days? And do these collective interactions actually result in improved population health?
- DATA DESIGN PRINCIPLES THAT SET A HIGHER BAR FOR HEALTH AND HUMAN DIGNITY @JENVANDERMEER
- 8 PRINCIPLES: DESIGNING DATA FOR DIGNITY Ethical Sharing Sacred Habits Deeper MotivationData Calming Eye Contact Double Loops The Herd Utility in Context Design for @JENVANDERMEER @LUMINARYLABS
- DESIGN FOR UTILITY, IN CONTEXT @JENVANDERMEER
- mHealth apps are only beginning to show the benefits of contextual awareness
- Ambient intelligence will become more anticipatory, adaptive, and transparent
- Technology that knows to behave differently in context to where you are
- Simulating a better future mental state
- Ambient Commons, Malcolm McCullough Preontological awareness is faster
- DESIGN FOR DATA CALMING @JENVANDERMEER
- The problem of alarm desensitization
- The problem of data noise
- The problem of the quantified parent how to become calm and engaged parent
- The payoff when visualization delivers wisdom, not just noise
- DESIGN FOR SACRED HABITS @JENVANDERMEER
- The smart phone The perfect BF Skinner box?
- You want minty refreshing taste now, you benefit from tooth health later. Dan Ariely
- Right thing, wrong reason: quantified dog could lead to self-understanding
- DESIGN FOR DEEPER HUMAN MOTIVATIONS @JENVANDERMEER
- Insert gratuitous Fogg Behavioral Model chart here A Behavior Model for Persuasive Design. BJ Fogg. Stanford University 2009.
- mHealth apps often fail the motivation test, never reaching the unhealthy
- Deeper motivators: It feels good to volunteer simple answer to real questions people have
- Will altruistic motivators be the most powerful? Contribute to Science
- DESIGN FOR ETHICAL SHARING @JENVANDERMEER
- You have the right to not be sensed From: Seven Principles for Big Data and Resilience Projects. 9/23/2013 By Kate Crawford, Patrick Meier, Claudia Perlich, Amy Luers, Gustavo Faleiros and Jer Thorp 2013 PopTech & Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Fellows.
- Even if the value of that data delivers a larger public good
- Startups will not necessarily learn the difference between Informed consent and permission marketing
- The true north: be transparent about data sharing
- DESIGN FOR EYE CONTACT @JENVANDERMEER
- Facilitate human contact: does this chart review increase or decrease their understanding?
- Does this device increase engagement, understanding, and trust? Or distract?
- Aim higher. Diminish the use of screens: wear and forget sensors
- DESIGN FOR DOUBLE LOOP LEARNING @JENVANDERMEER
- Single loop learning Consequences Feedback Decision Actions
- Single loop results, where is the why
- Double loop learning Consequences Feedback Decision Actions Mental Models Of Real World Decision Rules, Strategies
- Time until death @amikahmad NYU ITP
- Standing at work today
- DESIGN FOR THE HERD @JENVANDERMEER
- Social proof = Positive peer pressure
- Caregivers are not just a target segment, They are an interaction paradigm
- VA Caregiver pilot distributing 1000 iPads to caregivers of veterans
- My herd watches out for me
- To save everything, click here: HealthDataChallenges.com @JENVANDERMEER | @LuminaryLabs | @HDChallenges
- My herd come join us:
View more >
LUMINARY LABS @JENVANDERMEER @LUMINARYLABS DESIGNING FOR DIGNITY IN HEALTH TECH Jen van der Meer STRATA RX - SEPTEMBER 2013.
Dignity, Independence, and Self-Determination for All.adsd.nv.gov/uploadedFiles/adsdnvgov/content/About/Budget/ADSD...Dignity, Independence, and Self-Determination for All. ... self-determination, ... BA 3156 SENIOR RX AND DISABILITY RX
Dignity Health Health in Retirement Health Health in Retirement ... Pension Income provided by Dignity Health ... you when you are ready to retire.
Dignity Health Begins Construction of Rehabilitation ... ?· Dignity Health Begins Construction of Rehabilitation…